ZBrushCentral

Farewell to our friend, a ZScript Legend, Marcus Burgess!

zbcthumb3

The remarkable Mark Burgess (aka Marcus_Civis), who is retiring at the end of February, 2023 after an amazing 19 years of activity in the ZBrush community.

Mark went to school at Christ’s Hospital in Sussex, England where, as he describes it, “the uniform was designed in the sixteenth century, the beds were made of iron and everyone marched to breakfast each morning.”

After leaving school he studied Fine Art at the Slade School in London. He then worked for a short time at London Zoo and in a library in Cambridge before starting to write and illustrate children’s books full-time. He has written and illustrated more than 30 titles, written another four and illustrated nearly 50 more for other authors.

Along the way, he managed to find ZBrush. His very first post on July 4, 2004 was to introduce himself to ZBC as a newly hatched ZBrush user with just one week into the software.

He became a pillar of ZBrush history thanks to his mastery of the ZScript language and plugin development as well as his amazing contributions in the ZBrush community.

Some of his notable creations include:

ZColor

With ZColor you will be able to polypaint your project with a set palette of colors, chosen to best express the mood you wish to create, and allowing for consistent results. ZColor files can also be shared with others when you are working together.

FBX ExportImport

The FBX ExportImport plugin provides one-click export and import of the FBX file format.

fbx

Blend Shapes

Easily convert sculpted layers in ZBrush into blend shapes for Maya.

blendshapes

Image Plane

Image Plane 4 provides an easy way to load images into ZBrush for use in texturing with the ZProject brush, PolyPaint, or Projection Master.

image_plane_z4r2

SubTool Master

SubTool Master allows you to mirror, duplicate, merge, export all your subtools at once, fill all your subtools with color and/or materials and many other things!

subtool_master

PaintStop

The powerful PaintStop gives you painting and drawing tools that have been designed to emulate their real-world counterparts in a truly lifelike way.

PaintStop

Multi-Map Exporter

Multi-Map Exporter is designed to automate map creation and export for your models, including those with multiple UV regions. Settings can be saved and reloaded so that you can quickly setup the plugin and then leave it to export the maps, freeing you to spend more time creating your art.

MME

TransPose Master

TransPose Master allows you to pose a model with multiple SubTools. It does this by combining the lowest subdivision level of each SubTool into a single model. Once this low resolution proxy has been posed you can transfer that new positioning back to your original high resolution multi-part model with the click of a button.

transpose_master

He also wrote the code that makes it possible for ZBrush to support the USD file format, as well as that for storing universal cameras.

Beyond creating plugins - some of which proved to be so valuable that they have been included with every ZBrush installation - he has also tirelessly helped others with their ZScripting questions. In fact, he has over 12,000 posts on ZBC and has moderated the ZScripting and Plugins categories at ZBrushCentral for many years now. He has also helped another 800 users through Support tickets.

Another way in which Marcus has tirelessly worked behind the scenes was with the ZBrush documentation. He is the person who spearheaded the effort to put our documentation online and has been keeping it maintained ever since through the “What’s New” sections that have been put forth with each ZBrush release, such as ZBrush 2023.

Although we are sad to see him leave us, we are thrilled to support him as he moves on to the next chapter of his life!

Please join us in wishing Marcus a fond farewell, and perhaps share a comment or two about how he or one of his plugins has made an impact in your ZBrush experience.

Thank you, Marcus, for 19 years of amazing work!

The ZBrush Team

47 Likes

legendary Marcus. we all owe him both for developing zbrush and great part of the zbrush community. :heart: :heart . all the best :heart: :heart:

6 Likes

Dear Marcus,

My deepest gratitude for the incredible 19 years we’ve shared together. You have been an integral part of the ZBrush team, and your contributions have made (and continue to do so) a lasting impact that will not soon be forgotten.

Your positive attitude, your unwavering work ethic, and your ability to inspire those around you have been a constant source of inspiration, you will be sorely missed. Wishing you all the best in your retirement and beyond!

Kindest regards,
Jaime

7 Likes

While I do not know @marcus_civis personally, I wanted to take a moment to express my heartfelt gratitude for everything you have done for everyone who works with ZBrush. Your unwavering support, guidance, and encouragement have been invaluable to all of us, and we truly appreciate everything you have done to help us along the way.

Your kindness and generosity have significantly impacted our artistic lives. We are truly grateful for your time and effort in helping us achieve our creative goals. We are forever grateful.

4 Likes

Marcus!!

You are going to be missed very much! I know we have only worked with each other for the last year, but it has been an absolute joy! Cheers to a great 19 years and a fantastic retirement!

Wishing you all the best!
Ian

2 Likes

Marcus,

Thank you for all your help with my (terrible) ZScripts over the last 5 years. Greatly appreciated.

You will be missed.

2 Likes

Marcus Civis,

The Legend. The living Zscript reference. Always pushing the boundaries of the impossible.
Some things are so good that you are starting to believe they will be eternal.
We learned so much from you sir, and will continue.

Thank you.

TPQZ.

2 Likes

You will be missed, @marcus_civis . Thank you for being an instrumental part of the amazing product we love.

Best to you and yours in whatever may come <3

2 Likes

Marcus is Awesome person,

He is an amazing artist and programmer, I am very grateful to him for his help in the development of my Zbuilder plugins. I learned so much from him.
Thank you for all the help Master Marcus!

2 Likes

Farewell, Marcus. You helped us so much…

3 Likes

Thanks for making our dreams possible Marcus we all be forever grateful.

3 Likes

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for your invaluable additions to ZBrush and for helping out so many ZBrushers!!!

When I was on the Paintstop beta team I immensely enjoyed working with you. I was and still am very impressed with your coding capabilities, your out of the box thinking and the artistic works you create.

Thanks again and all the best!! :sunglasses: :+1: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:!!

Geert

2 Likes

Godspeed Marcus! You will be missed. I hope that you still come and visit occasionally.

2 Likes

Enjoy your well earned retirement Marcus! I’ve seen from afar how much you’ve helped everyone and have nothing but the utmost respect for you and your efforts. Thank you on behalf of the many users who have benefitted from your generosity and talents. You made the community stronger, Pixologic were lucky to have you, and that’s the highest compliment that can be paid.

2 Likes

@marcus_civis It’s been an absolute honor to work with you the past 13 years. Thank you for everything you’ve given the community and your commitment to excellence.

The contributions you’ve provided cannot be put into words for me. You’ve done so much for the team and the users of ZBrush. Your work will live on forever.

It was always a great pleasure to work with you on projects and continue to discuss what we could create together as a team.

Your kindness, commitment, generosity, eye for detail and work ethic is unmatched.

Enjoy your retirement. Looking forward to see your next illustration.

All the best.

Paul

2 Likes

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all your kind words! :slight_smile:

It’s no exaggeration to say that ZBrush changed my life and I’ve really enjoyed being part of this great community over the years. I’m sure I shall drop back in now and again to see how things are going and to see what great art is being produced with this wonderful program. :slight_smile:

Cheers!
Marcus

6 Likes

Hail to thee Marcus Civis, gentleman and polymath.
Your kind assistance and support over these years has been a blessing.
My gratitude and heartfelt thanks.

Love and best wishes ,
Marcus Aquila
:sun_with_face: :sunflower: :sun_with_face:

2 Likes

all the great work, and thank you Marcus! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

pay tribute!

2 Likes

What a wonderful opportunity this thread is to salute a person who has literally changed the way I work on a day-to-day basis! I’ve been sculpting toys, game pieces and bubble bath bottles for nearly thirty years, when I started, we did everything physically and I can only work digitally now because of all the wonderful tools ZBrush has to replicate things I used to do in the ‘real world’. Thank you, thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

3 Likes