ZBrushCentral

Dynamesh Resolution Reduced based on scale?

I have this re-occurring issue with all my meshes, especially when using scale master or when my mesh is not within the unified scale of 2, as is done when using; Deformation > Unify. The first image you see is a Dynamesh image; although there is not enough detail even when I increase the dynamesh resolution.

dynameshlowerRes

Although, now when I increase the resolution for dynamesh, and I enable dynamesh; the results are not what a dynameshed object should become, which is the mesh having a reduction in resolution ?

Maybe AskZbrush can help. DynaMesh is generating low resolution results? What is happening?

Also look at Scale and Dynamesh in Zbrush

2 Likes

Hello again @Christopher,

As I replied in your original thread concerning this mesh, it is problematically small in the ZBrush Worldspace:

I’ve examined the mesh you sent me. The main problem is this tool contains hidden geometry that you can see if you shift+Ctrl click in empty canvas to reveal it. So the “Close Holes” operation is not creating the extrusion, but *revealing* it.

If you delete the hidden geometry, the close holes operation should produce more predictable results. It still won’t look great because the geometry around the hole you are trying to close is smashed together and malformed.

In addition, this piece of geometry is problematically small in the Zbrush worldpsace. At a Tool> Geometry> Size> XYZ of .142, the mesh may perform poorly or oddly with a number of ZBrush features.

Dynamesh is one of the features that does not perform well with meshes that are overly large or small. If a mesh is too small, it will not be able to receive enough polygons to produce accurate results.

In addition, because of the hidden geometry, what you are doing here is performing a partial Dynamesh where only the visible portion is being remeshed.

Delete the hidden geometry, and perfrom a Tool> Deformation> Unify, and the mesh should perform better with Dynamesh. However, the flattened geometry at the top of the mesh may still be too thin to work well with Dynamesh, and may end up partially disintegrating (Dynamesh “swiss cheese”). You may need to inflate or otherwise add a bit more volume to that area of the mesh in order for it to work well with Dynamesh.

Good luck! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

ZBrush works effectively when sub-tools are a scale of 2; although, what if I want to have a sub-tool or all sub-tools to be modeled in an accurate size.

For example, I want a character to be 150cm height and 140cm in width, how can I get a sub-tool or all sub-tools to proportionally fit within these dimensions but also have dynamesh work as it should when a sub-tool or all sub-tools are at a scale of 2 as does the unify tool, if it’s possible at all, or that would have to done outside of Zbrush ?

If working solely in ZBrush, simply unify your mesh early on to make sure it is optimally sized while working in ZBrush, then export it at the required size. Both Scale master and 3d print hub have tools to easily let you size a mesh and export it, but you could do it manually as well.

Understand that the size units in many common export formats are generic–they don’t know that your mesh is 10cm or ten inches, they only know it is 10 something. If you you import a mesh that is 10 something into a program with an internal measure set to CM, that mesh will be 10cm. If the program is set to inches, that mesh will be ten inches.

If working from an external program in which the mesh has already been sized, then simply import the mesh correctly into ZBrush, and ZBrush will automatically resize it to an optimal size, and record the value necessary to restore it to the correct size upon export in the Tool> Export menu. In order for this to happen the mesh must be imported into the program with either no active 3d tool selected, or with a tool with a Tool> Export> Scale value of Zero, like the default poly star. This happens automatically without requiring input from the user.

If imported into a tool with a non-zero value, the mesh will instead be scaled according to whatever that value is. This is a common cause of scale mismatch issues.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

3D Print Hub only has two units of measurement; while Scale master has a few. What method is best to get the most accurate desired size ?

And what is the method for doing it manually; from my understand, that is just entering in the 150cm for height and the 140cm for width while proportion is toggled on within, for example, scale master ?

The Scale Master usage video is here:

Scale Master documentation is here.

3d Print Hub documentation is here.

Manually exporting is covered in the video I linked previously.

Good Luck!

1 Like

Thanks.