ZBrushCentral

Close holes causes Extrusion?

When closing a hole on this mesh, why am I getting this extruded piece of geometry ?
https://ln2.sync.com/dl/0da302500/mnf9uxiy-krqxkkni-vchi99ar-a7ui4j3d
I only want the hole closed, in the area to which it should be closed, not this extruded piece of the mesh when using close holes.

Hello @Christopher,

I peeked at your image, but it’s a little tough to tell what’s going on. Can you please upload both a “before” and “after” screenshot of the problem focused on the area you are closing directly to the thread here? You can just drag and drop the screenshots directly into the text window.

Thanks!

This is before;
unclosedhole

This is after; although why is the hole not being closed in the area where it should be closed, rather there is an extruded piece of geometry where the hole is closed ?

extrudeClosedHole

Huh.

Well it’s definitely weird looking from the images. The geometry is not really an ideal situation for “Close Holes” either. It may be that Close Holes doesn’t understand what you want it to do with that geometry, or there may be something else problematic with the mesh that would make more sense if I could get my hands on it.

Are you able to upload the .ztl file here for me to look at? (Tool> Save As> ZTL Format)? Please eliminate any geometry or subtools not contributing to the issue to keep the file size down. You can just drag and drop the file right in the text window here to upload it.

If you’re not comfortable doing that, you can also head over to Pixologic Support, and Start a Conversation there. Mark the conversation “Attn: Spyndel” and reference this thread. It’ll find me.

Because of the thin flap of 2d geometry there, it’s not really an ideal candidate for Dynameshing either, but it might be interesting to see what Dynamesh does with it.

Since there’s not a lot of high res detail, it might be easiest to ZRemesh this into lower poly form and close the geometry with low poly tools.

Good luck!

I have done as you mentioned.

Hi @Christopher

I’ve examined the mesh you sent me. The main problem is this tool contains hidden geometry that you can see if you shift+Ctrl click in empty canvas to reveal it. So the “Close Holes” operation is not creating the extrusion, but revealing it.

If you delete the hidden geometry, the close holes operation should produce more predictable results. It still won’t look great because the geometry around the hole you are trying to close is smashed together and malformed.

In addition, this piece of geometry is problematically small in the Zbrush worldpsace. At a Tool> Geometry> Size> XYZ of .142, the mesh may perform poorly or oddly with a number of ZBrush features.

Hope that helps! :slightly_smiling_face: