ZBrushCentral

CGS Modeling Challenge: Conan the Barbarian

Well, the last 3 days of work (well last 3 nights) went down the tube… I was working on texture maps (color, spec, bump, sss) on the unposed model thinking that the UVs would be fine. I then took him into Lightwave, rigged and posed him. Then exported the new pose into ZBrush for some additional detailing. Then I tested the color map on it and nothing was lining up at all. Is there a way to fix that? I’ve tried flipping the maps, etc… but it still looks jumbled. I’ll probably just have to go back in and do it again on the posed model.

Anyway here he is posed. You’ll recognize the inspiration of the pose from Michelangelo’s David. I wanted something simple, but powerful. I altered the pose somewhat to allow for him holding the sword in his left hand and holding the necklace he gave to Valeria (his woman in the movie) in his right.

I thought the pose was kinda somewhat fitting (just a bit) since David went on to become King of Israel and Conan went on to conquer and become king by his own hand. But the pose also tells the story of him lamenting over Valeria’s death while seeking his revenge. That’s interesting because in the beginning of the movie he states that the best thing in life is “To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women.” Yet, here he is on the receiving end…

Well after I posed him with LW bones, there was some pretty bad distortions going on in the arms. You can see it in his left arm. I started detailing his right arm and fixed the distortion there. But that’s as far as I’ve got.

ASThumb.jpg

Attachments

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

nice nice work man, and in Lightwave too! nice. I am forced to use LIghtwave at school, but I hate it, I like Maya.
Keep up your great work., awsome bracer texture

WOW! that model looks killer. I am a huge Arnold fan too. It almost seems taht Arnold isn’t “big” enough in your model.

Great pose Kraken! And great use of LW too! Did you do the fur of the pants and boots with Saslite too?

This is really nice work, the only thing that has bugged me since early on, was the positioning of the ear in profile, it apears to be set too far back?

This is really nice work, the only thing that has bugged me since early on, was the positioning of the ear in profile, it apears to be set too far back?

Thanks all!

Sumpm1, Yeah, I’m not sure why it appears that way It could be the rig somehow warped him inward when I rigged him… I do need to fill him back out a bit more.

Plakkie, Yup! It’s SasLite. Not yet wiling to spend the cash on the full Sasquatch plugin. I don’t use it that much (except on Arnold)

Doco, I thought it looked that way too at first, but I went back and checked my measurements. Arnold does have his ears that far back. His hair will cover his ears anyway so it won’t really matter too much.

Edit: Actually doco, you were right. His ear was a little too far back, but it wasn’t long after I posted that profile shot that I tried to correct it somewhat, but it still looked too far back even though it lined up with his side view. This pic shows it’s real placement.

Attachments

arnold_schwarzenegger_3.jpg

Kraken,

I’ve used AUV and GUV strait from ZB2 into Lightwave. The maps need a simple Vertical flip. You might experiment a bit by painting/texturing something real apparent like a box with different colored sides in ZB2 and with AUVs then take that into LW. You can do the vertical flip in an external paint program or from within ZB2 on export. Its really difficult to see whats happening on something thats fairly uniform in color like skin.

I really like the pose. Another pose that would be interesting would be when he held up the head of Thulsa Doom on the steps of the Temple entrance.

Looking great so far! 4 thumbs up! I like the pose, but if he’ll be holding the, btw exceptionally well sculpted sword with that right hand, it’ll look a bit weird I would say. Also, me thinks you got his shoulder bone structure a bit too wide and his rib cage way too small. It needs to be huge. Arnold had/has an immense ribcage. Damn, he could balance a glass with milk on his chest in a side chest pose! (I’ll look for a pic, if you’d like) Something weird about the trap area as well. The legs look great! Keep it up, I cant wait for the final pic!:+1:

Ha, ha, same here with Saslite! I tend to cheat with textured planes instead of “real” hair. I hear the new version of sasquatch is a great improvement and well worth the money though!

hyper1: Thanks for that comment about the AUV and GUV. For some reason it never hit me to try that in LW. Great to know it works with that flip you mentionend!:smiley:

Hey there… yep, you cant always trust photos and occasionally just have to ask yourself if it looks right. You’re right in saying that this photo implies they’re a fair way back, but I’m not sure his head is completely side on, looks to be slightly turned towards camera… then there’s lens info, thats probably a 35 - 50 mm lens, for modellng ref you want something as close to orthographic as possible with little perspective distortion, so ideally you want a much longer lens.

Either way, it’s a pretty minor thing, something you’d only be concerned with if this were to be a digital double and to line up with the real arnie for instance… What made me look twice was the short distance from the rear edge of the ear to the back of the head… but as you say, its hidden with hair anyway.

Regardless, nice work, its looking great.

Here’s an update on the detail sculpting. Still need to work on the shoulders and neck some more.

ASThumb2.jpg

Attachments

AS3.jpg

awesome anatomy! :+1:

Yep, much better on the rib cage and trap area. That’s the governator!:smiley: Can’t wait for the final pic!

It’s getting stronger with every post. What shader/material are you using? It looks great!

looks like Richard Corben´s Den character a lot

looking really cool Kracken!

Looks fantastic man. If you do decide to give him the warpaint face don’t forget to give him the huge wide eyes. You know, the ones that make him look insane when he swings.

Thanks, guys!

I’ve finished the challenge, but not the piece… I will continue to work on it cuz I see some problem areas plus I want to add the warpaint and make the skin look a bit better and add a scene.

Here’s the color rendering and a link to the turntable animation.
Conan Turntable Movie

There’s a bunch of orthos plus as well over at CGTalk in my WIP thread.

Conan CGTalk Challenge WIP Thread

ConanThumb.jpg

Attachments

ConanRender2.jpg

Great job Kraken! Personally I think the body is right on, and I admire the clothing. And you’re making a scene too? Looking forward to it! :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

great barbarian model :eek: :eek: :eek: