ZBrushCentral

Zsphere rig unwanted twisting

Hell guys!
I have a strange problem when trying to pose my character with Zsphere rig. I’m following well known tutorial with posing a swimmer girl. Basically, when I rotate limbs or bend the torso other zspheres down the chain start twisting. And the more down the chain, the more of twisting occurs. For example, if I try to bend a thigh in the hip joint and make it parallel to the ground, it ends up with completely distorted foot. Or when I try to bend the torso the head also starts rotating. Previously I did many poses with Zsphere rig but didn’t notice behavior like this. Though I think this is probably because my previous poses were relatively simple, but this time, with much complex pose and bigger degree of limb’s rotation weird things start to occur only now.
So can someone tell me am I the only one who have problems like this? Or it is rather well known issue.

In that same tutorial, he mentions that you want to make your brush size small.
For rotation, you don’t really need the brush size any bigger than 1.

Hey man, thanks for replying.
My Brush size is set to minimum already. That’s a first thing I do when working with Zspheres. It appears like Zsphere rig has some sort of inverse kinematics (more obvious when using Move instead) and when performing rotation it still applies some deformations down the chain. I also noticed that the bigger angle between the rig segment the more it tends to twist. For example I have the biggest problem on the feet, and this is where leg bone meets the foot at almost 90 degree angle. In cases where bones are pretty much aligned (arm to forearm or thigh to lower leg) problem almost not present

Hmm… that sounds odd.

Can you grab a screenshot?

OK, tomorrow when I would be at my working PC I will make a screenshot. Though I believe it will not add to much to the information I posted above. Interesting thing I forgot to mention: this problem occur even when applying transformation from “Deformation” subpalette. If I rotate the entire Zsphere skeleton on any axis my uttermost joints (wrist, ankles, neck) become very twisted and squashed. However moving the whole rig with Deformation>Offset works just fine. Already tested in 4R4 and 4R6 versions of Zbrush. Tomorrow I will also try to do this on the different model.

UPD Here I quickly recreated the problem on average male model shipped with Zbrush. So yeah, this happens not only with my own sculpt. I also tried to do this on default dog model and yep, still present. Maybe it is just Zbrush problem? I will be really grateful if someone will test and confirm it… this way I would simply try other solutions instead of wasting my time with hopeless efforts to find a reason. http://i68.fastpic.ru/big/2014/0905/58/e9e62fe32b3c2f5fdc8e28030c108858.jpg

• Submitted to image hosting site cause don’t want to spoil my gallery with weirdness like this :smiley:

Vir,

Once your zphere rig is built, for most posing operations you want to only use rotate on a chain (the white triangle between zpheres, not a zsphere itself.)

Using move on a chain (or using rotate on a zshpere) will affect the whole chain - that’s what you are seeing.

Once you have your general pose, then you can tweak the pose using move or rotating zspheres.

Submitting images in this forum does not put them in your gallery. They are only put in your user gallery when you post images in the Main Forum.

Thor
Oh, no, I don’t use Move while working with rig. I’ve mentioned it in my previous comment just to describe the nature of problem: “Rotation twists all the elements down the chain AS IF using the Move operation”. Obviously Transpose Move will mess up the sculpt since it uses inverse kinematics which doesn’t work very well in this case as I mentioned before.
Regardless, I already started posing with regular Transpose master instead of using Rig. Thanks.
zber2
Oh, Thanks! Good to know.