I had an absolute BLAST being invited to participate in the sculpt off!
Originally, I was going to do an insect of some sort, focusing on electron microscope imagery, but then a few days before the event I changed my concept to a mech monkey.
I banged out a few concepts on the iPad and found the design language I was after. I then did 2 quick test runs.
The day of the contest, I did three quick pages in my sketchbook right before we started, as I was still unsure what design I wanted to do for the suit bust.
I’m definitely going to revisit this character in the future. Not being an IMM brush guy (yet) I felt that the interior lights and rim clasps are competing with each other. I have other ideas ready to explore.
After I got home late Friday night, I decided to prep the piece for 3d printing. (Yes, I’m a glutton for punishment) I had to do quite a bit of cleanup, as the back of the character was loose and open. After separating out elements and creating a key slot for the neck, I set off a 19hr 21min print on a Zortrax M200 that I’m evaluating. The print had some stringiness between the two pieces and I had to do a bit of clean up Saturday night, but the forms all came out nicely. I’ll re-prep the piece (removing the hoses and printing those separately) and try another test print this weekend.
Next post will be my KEOS MASONS creation!