ZBrushCentral

Why export high detailed models is a pain?

if you export models with 40M active points like OBJ to a SSD folder why is so slow?

I know it’s a lot of points but, why you don’t show us an effective Timer or something? just nothing and if you click… white screen and more wait… or Windows funny messages “do you want to close…”

I read others posts with this problem and the answers was funny, like " you know Zbrush is managing a lot of tris more of other soft…" or maybe is you PC…
Are bulls… My Pc is a profesional station and others softwares like Mudbox or Blender manage the same numbers or more.
We are profesionals, no kids in a school loosing time…
I bought a professional tool and I expect a profesional use. I can’t have a freeze screen for 45 minutes in a team of a AAA studio.

I’m using ZB form the first Beta, I bought more of 150 licenses and every day it makes me want to change everything to Blender…

Could you wake up and give us more? and no tools for Ipad…

Hi @Uky_Pum,

It sounds like you already understand the answer. 40 million points are a lot of points, and far more than you would typically export for use in other programs. For the purpose of print you would typically decimate a model to a fraction of that prior to export. For a digital rendering scenario it is far more efficient to apply high frequency detail as displacement maps to a much lower resolution mesh. Few other external programs will comfortably work with models of that point count.

Not all formats are created equally, and some will take longer to export than others. Some formats write additional information which takes much more time when you multiply everything it needs to write by that many points. If UVs are involved at all, this can effectively double the amount of information that needs to be written.

The writing of large files can be a resource intensive process that may occupy your CPU for some time. Slower CPUs will take longer. It takes a significant amount of RAM just keeping a 40 million point model loaded in the program, leaving less for other system processes. Active security features, hardware issues, and other running software can occasionally interfere with other running processes, causing them to slow or fail.

ZBrush for iPad was announced at the 2023 ZBrush Summit and is in active development.

Since there are no actual usage questions here I’m going to close this thread. Please be sure to review the community guidelines for posting on ZBrush Central.

Thank you!