ZBrushCentral

Su Boe [The Ox]

lato_main_final
The side silhouette is the first part I worked on. I wanted a central, round form, with sharp angular protrusions (arms and horns).

Sculpt based on a traditional Sardinian mask. Su Boe, the Ox, is chased and then beaten by the Merdules, representing our animal instinct conquered by reason. Pretty gruesome for a carnival mask!
Sculpted and painted in Zbrush, rendered in Maverick.
http://www.instagram.com/el_nibbio

trequarti_nuovo

Short video of the sculpt right before adding the finer details. Started from ZSpheres and an idea of the silhouette I wanted to get, then refined with the Move tool as I carved out the muscles. I wanted it to be wiry in some places, like the long forearms, and heavily muscled in others, like the back.

dietro_final_main
closeup_nuovo
Close up. The symbol at the center of the forehead is taken from the mask. It probably comes from a phoenician deity.
frontpieno_nuovo fronte_basso_main frontale_nuovo_main

Zbrush screengrab. Final mesh was around 10 million polys. There’s basically no tertiary details, I could have gone way further in terms of detail but I think this was enough.

boe
The traditional Sardinian mask that inspired this piece.

8 Likes

Cool!! Thanks for sharing the origins and wips of this sculpt :sunglasses:!! Would love to see him posed!! :sunglasses: :+1: :star:!!

Yeah, agree with ETCHER, your image would gain a lot. :slight_smile:
Jaime