I made a mask from color.

I used inflate with a mask.

The pattern is complete.

But it’s rough.
It is a dirty groove.
alpha

How can I get a smooth inflate?

Hi @beginner

It looks like your mesh does not have enough resolution. You will have to subdivide some more to get smoother results. Also, make sure you are using 16 bit Grayscale images in PSD (Photoshop Document) format for the best results. Don’t use .jpeg images.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

[It looks like your mesh does not have enough resolution. You will have to subdivide some more to get smoother results. Also, make sure you are using 16 bit Grayscale images in PSD (Photoshop Document) format for the best results. Don’t use .jpeg images.】

Maximized the resolution of the mesh.
I made a 16-bit grayscale image in PSD format.

p3

1 I pasted the image with poly paint.
2 Mask from poly paint
3 inflate -1

I made it this way.
But,
The dent is rough.

What may be the cause?

Or

Is there another way to create a dent using a texture?

@beginner

Make sure that your alpha also has sufficient resolution. Higher resolution on your alpha will result in finer detail. Try at least 2048 x 2048 pixels. Alphas are usually white on black background.

You can apply the alpha directly to your mesh without using polypaint. For example…

1. Import your Alpha.
  2. You have two options as how to apply the alpha. You can use the DragRect stroke and draw it on the mesh. You can also go to “Tool > Masking > Mask By Alpha” and click “Mask By Alpha” button.
  3. Then use Inflate.

So you need a high resolution Alpha and high resolution mesh. If it is still rough then you will still need to subdivide your mesh some more.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

I used DragRect.
I was able to make a beautiful pattern.
Thank you very much.
4.PNG

But,
My hope is to dent both sides.

P1

p2
By using this mask, I was able to mask only both sides.
However, this mask cannot be used with the dragrect method.

Is it possible to make dents only on both sides?