ZBrushCentral

Scared silly entry by Peter Butler

Great concept, and I love this monster. Looking forward to watching your progress. :+1:

Hey thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

Well I’ve finally textured him in Zbrush and I’ve been trying to get him set up for rendering in an external package but I’m having a complete nightmare trying to import UV’s into the base mesh. At the moment I’ve textured him using Polypaint. I’ve UV’s the base mesh in another package but when I try and import that base mesh back into zbrush I just get screwed UV’s. Sorry you probably didn’t need to know all that.

Anyway here’s where I’m at. I’m meant to be doing abother two charaters but to be honest I think I’ll stick to just another one otherwsie I’ll never get it done.

Many thanks

Pete B

[attach=72397]zbrsushtest04.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

zbrsushtest04.jpg

Hey, both ideas sound pretty good, i think either would be pretty cool to do and setup, i can picture with idea 1, having normal people around looking at these two ugly old witches while they are talking etc, and maybe a lady with a pram or somethign quickly running away from them covering her childs eyes, i would love to see in idea 2 one of the monsters looking at the arm/leg with drool hanging out :smiley: hehe

Ok haven’t posted for a whle, finally got some more time so I’ve now comleted the first monster and I’m onto my second. Realy need to get a move on.

Here’s a very basic mesh of the new monster. As you can see he’s only half a monster at the moment and hasn’t got much character. Hoping to get a lot done tomorrow so Ill have an update then. I also have some background stuff done but I left it at work so will have to post it later.

Pete B

[attach=73411]textured02 copy.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73412]rompy_test.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

textured02 copy.jpg

rompy_test.jpg

That looks pretty cool, nice looking character :), cant wait for the final piece :smiley:

Hah! that character looks great! I love the expression on his face! He’s cute cause he knows he’s ungly. Fantastic work.:+1:

\Hey thanks for the comments guys. I need your opinion on this next monster. I spent today getting the basic model done. I was just ready for bed when I thought something about him just didn’t look right. I thnk it’s because I’ve made his body too human like and so in a way his face just looks like a person wearing a mask, which of course confuses the whole point of the gag. So I done a quick mock up using transpose to see what he’d look like with small legs and I think it works better, what do you think?

There’ also a close up of his face, I’m trying to get the “I’m really cute, honest!” look.

Forgot to add, ignore the arm pose, I’ve put them like that so I can use the mirror tool. In the final piece his arms will be crossed behind his back.

Pete B

[attach=73552]rompy01.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73553]rompy02.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73554]rompy03.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

rompy01.jpg

rompy02.jpg

rompy03.jpg

I like his face allot, :+1: but I think it would definitely help to exaggerate his proportions, maybe make his legs shorter, and make hip really wide and thick, it would fit his face.

your first little monster is really cool … a little creature with scary and silly expression … keep the good work :+1:

good looking characters, my only thought is like your first one make the rest very expressive. really nice so far.

Funny Characters. I love the expressions.

Hey thankyou so much for your replies.

Here is a few updates. I’ve been working on his expression now. Trying to get the "I’m cute, but actually when you’re not looking I’m going to eat you " look. What do you guys think?

Oh also I posed him. At first I was going to just tilt his head but then I thought I’d go the full hog and give the cute little girl pose. I’m not sure if it’s taking it too far, again you’re comments are really appreciated.

I’ve also posted another render of the first character, just with better lighting which will hopefully be closer to the final piece.

I can’t believe how long this is taking. I think I’ve worked harder on this when I’m at work :slight_smile:

[attach=73785]close_up.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73786]full_body.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73787]full_body_rear.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73788]rakijak.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

close_up.jpg

full_body.jpg

full_body_rear.jpg

rakijak.jpg

Forgot to say, he’s not going to be naked. I’ve made some costume for him. The idea being is he’s nicked one of the trick or treaters skeleton costumes, you know the ones that are just black t-shirts and trouser but with a a skeleton painted on. Well he’s nicked those to try and blend in but of course he’s a bit bulky so they’re going to be really tight and ripped. I used the mesh extraction tool for that, which works great.

Pete B

Great work. I think your are real close with want you want with his expression. You might want to put a hint more “devious” into it, though. Maybe the eye brows need to play a big role in this.

I love the little guys look.

I like so much your work. The characters are funny, lovely and montrous in the same time! :+1:small_orange_diamond:D

Thanks Gary, Wol. I agree with the devious look. I was playing around last night…well four in the morning and did have it looking a lot more severe but I thought it may be a bot much and so went for a real subtle look so the viewer may even think he’s imagining what the monsters thinking. But I think you’re right, it needs to be more obvious.

Pete B

Well only four more days to go. Although it’s gone really fast I have to say these last few weeks have been some of the most intense of my life. I don’t think I’ve been to bed any early then 1:30 within the last 3 weeks. I was hoping to get loads done this weekend but instead ended up only getting probably around a days worth of actual work done. One thing this competition has made me realise is that my computer really is on it’s last legs.

I was overjoyed when I managed to get my mesh up to 10 million. Unfortunetly my excitment soon evaporated after I’d had to detail the horns on my second character for the sixth time in a row due to zbrush crashing out. It took around 35 mins a time to detail them so I found myself in a catch22 situation. To save I was having to go down to level 1 but this was a great gamble as it did have a tendancy to cause Zbrush to crash. So it was a case of, do I do lots of little bits of work and save often or try and get as much done in one hit before saving.

Thankfully after hours of stressful work and a lot of swearing I managed to finish the horns on his head, yes they really did take 3 hours of my life away :frowning:

By the end of Saturday night I was shatterd and was also amazed to discover that zbrushing can be damaging to your health. I’d somehow managed to create a hard blister on my finger, see picture attached. I also don’t think it’s very good for relationships, my girlfriend came round and had to sit and watch TV all night because I was doing this. I did promise we’d go out next weekend for a meal…Mcdonalds, I don’t think she saw the funny side.

I’ve now finally got the second character textured. I actually spent around an hour contemplating if I should paint him blue or red. I decided on blue, really just to be different, there’s so many red monsters these days. I guess if I change my mind I can always change the saturation in photoshop.

I’m quite pleased with how the T-shirts come out. I was worried I wouldn’t get it to work but I think I’ve nailed it.

So now I’ve just got his gum, teeth and ripped trousers to go. I did chuckle at the thought of him standing there at the door with just his willy hanging out. Just the thought of him being considerate enough to steal a T-shirt but just totally forgetting pants really appealed to my sense of humor, but I don’t think it would really be appropiate for this competition.

So after tomorrow I’m going to somehow have to knock up a background. I’ve got a few bits done which I’ll hopefully show tomorrow, but for now I think I’m going to have an early night and go to bed now, after all it’s only 2:30 am :wink:

Sorry for the long post and bad spelling.

Pete B

[attach=73989]hand_closeup.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73990]rompy_colour.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73991]Rompy_headclose.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73992]Rompy_behind.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73993]T-shirt_alpha.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73994]tshirt_tear.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73995]soar_finger.jpg[/attach]
[attach=73996]t_shirt.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

hand_closeup.jpg

rompy_colour.jpg

Rompy_headclose.jpg

Rompy_behind.jpg

T-shirt_alpha.jpg

tshirt_tear.jpg

soar_finger.jpg

t_shirt.jpg

Wow I really did waffle a load of old rubbish last night. Sorry sbout that.

I’m nearly done on the second character now, just a few niggly bits, his eyes aren’t working right at the moment although it does give him a very mad look. I’m hoping to also have a few other bits done tonight like some limns of their victims and maybe a bt of blood and guts.

I’m having real problems with my computer, I’m spending more time watching the hour glass then actually getting any work done. Sometimes it’s taking me up to 15 seconds just ot move an object. I think now is the time for the quad core :slight_smile:

Anyway here’s some pics of how I done the trousers. I’ve also attached a pic of the two of them together. I really hope I can get the rest done but as every hour passes it’s looking less and less lightly :frowning:

[attach=74072]trousers.jpg[/attach]
[attach=74073]trouser_stitching.jpg[/attach]
[attach=74074]together.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

trousers.jpg

trouser_stitching.jpg

together.jpg

I think you are on the right way!! :wink:

Good work. Keep it out!