ZBrushCentral

Scared Silly Entry by Michael Docking

Hey Micheal glad to see you are getting things accomplished! Your scene is looking good, but I think the color of the floor and wall should be different. They currently make the room look as if it’s constructed from one material. Also try adjusting how the texture is tiled. The tiles on the floor might look better if near the wall they were full sized. (thats if your using a tileable texture) If not just move the floor plane a little past the wall. Sorry to here about your rendering woes, I had to switch to Zb 2.0 to do my Zsphere modeling due to crashes. I try to check in often tonight to see how things are going. :smiley:

that is nice he look good

Hey thanks guys, for the floor i actually started a new scene, placed a plane and subdivided a few times, then i painted tiles on with the tileablitliy repeat function then drew on using a square alpha with drag rec brush. i then saved the alpha of doc(mrgbgrab i think) then used stencils and painted on the floor the tiles. The whole room is one object, so floor, window, walls and ceiling are one. it was hard getting it how i wanted from xsi, as i wasnt sure of how or even if zbrush could do it. and i think doing it as a whole was better for painting.

you say a dif colour for wallas/floor? any ideas? in the render i will post tonight it looks a little different, it all sort of looks like clay/mud, but ideas would be good.

as for the monster, he is finished now with texture map, nails/claws, cavity map, and eyes, tho i will retouch the eyes in zb when the final image is complete.

Oh also, with the tiles, it being one object, it will be hard for me to alter that now its done, (i think) i just had an idea, and if i get time i will try it out. i just thought i didnt want it to look so “neat” and “human” as its a monsters house, if you get me :S

Hey Michael, I’m not really certain about your work flow. Was the last scene image you posted a Zbrush render? I was kinda assuming you were doing the final render in XSI.

Edit: looking back, you did render that in XSI…So I’m guessing you have one UV map for the interior of the house?

And another thought, just a lighter color for the floor, or walls… just break it up a little…and use your lights!

Hey Brian, hehe yeh twas rendered in xsi, :). you guessed right, only the one texture map for the interior, i will go back and change the floor and wall colouring, ive been thinking of a light blueish for the wall.

Here is my scene with low res house. high res monster and door etc

[test 04.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘74335’,‘test 04.jpg’,1,0))

your last scene looks nice … good luck :+1:

Well here is my final render for my entry. Comments/crit welcome :smiley:
Thanks for the cool contest. I had fun and learnt a whole lot both of Zbrush and XSI. Look forward to the next one.
[SSFinal_MichaelDocking.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘74796’,‘SSFinal_MichaelDocking.jpg’,1,0))

This is a nice effort XSI, there are many who started this comp and never even got close to finishing. you should pat your self on the back for finishing in good time.

Id be tempted to make a couple more concept drawings next time around and then try your best to stick to the one you chose. The trouble with this scene is that it is difficult to see what’s actually happening. the monster on the floor looks like he is scared and the moster at the window looks like he wants to get in for some reason… but that’s it. Maybe a trick or treat bucket on the vamp would cure the whole story?

Don’t get me wrong, your use of 2.5D tools is admirable and your modeling skills are good. you just need to try stick to one concept as you go along and only change if the story is lost in the scene.

Well done for finishing. you have the potential to become a great 3D artist and this effort just proves it. Keep it up! :D:+1:

Hey dustbin1_uk, Thanks :), i wasnt sure if i would actually finish, as i had a lot of problems trying to get the scene to render (was trying for 4-5days) and i was reading up a lot of searches trying to fix the problems, so this happening i didnt get the chance to do a few extra things, eg trick or treat bucket as in the orginal sketch. hehe, it isnt actually a vampire hehe, it probably is hard to tell, he is a kid monster with a george bush mask :), tho like i said with the rendering, i had to use what i managed to get to work :frowning:

This is my first full scene achieved, so i have already given myself a pat on the back, haha, thanks for the kind words :smiley: much appreciated

Hey Micheal, way to go! For your first full scene in XSI, that’s not half bad. :cool: