ZBrushCentral

Rename Multiple Subtools

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to rename multiple subtools at once rather than naming them all individually. I have to constantly rename 5-50 subtools with the value of _low and then when I am done I have to do it again _high. I need to be able to add these titles to all the subtools at once. Perhaps there another way of doing it but it would be nice to know. Thanks.

There’s no direct way but it’s simple to write a plugin to do it. Attached is one that should work for you.

Unzip the file to your Desktop, open any containing folder and then copy the BatchRename.zsc file and BatchRenameData folder to the ZBrush 2018.1/ZStartup/ZPlugs64 folder.

Restart ZBrush and there should be a new Batch Rename sub-palette in the Zplugin menu. This has two buttons, Add Suffix All and Remove Suffix All.

When you press a button you will get a dialog to enter text. Enter the suffix you want to add or remove, such as _low. This will then be added to or removed from all subtools.

Clearly if you are renaming subtools ending with _low to end with _high you will need to remove the _low first. I did it this way to give you, and others, the greatest flexibility. Note that if a subtool name begins with or is only the suffix then it will not be changed.

I hope it’s useful.

Download here: BatchRename.zip (256 KB)BatchRename.zip (256 KB)

4 Likes

I have looked in the folder and I can’t find the plugin folder, do you know where it might be located. I went to pixologic folder and then looked there but there was no plugin folder.

Are you talking about where to install the plugin? On Windows the standard path will be:
C:\Program Files\Pixologic\ZBrush 2018\ZStartup<b>ZPlugs64

Now that version 2019 is out, this batch rename command no longer works. Can you provide a zbrush 2019 version?

Works OK for me. In what way is it not working for you?

When I load the command the batch rename pops up on the top bar where file and preferences is. Is does not load in the panel for addons. Which makes it un-selectable.

and of course when I retry the download and tried it again it seems to be working now. But when I close the interface it doesn’t pop back up, I have to reload the addon.

Make sure you install it - the BatchRename.zsc file and the BatchRenameData folder - in the ZBrush 2019\ZStartup\ZPlugs64 folder and then it will load each time you start ZBrush. See the attached image:

BatchRename_install.jpg

Thanks that worked wonderfully. Thank you

Hi @marcus_civis Your plugin works great for suffixes! But I have one request, if possible! Is there any way to make the new version of the plugin with preffix and suffix options? It would speed my (and I think others too) workflow for about 25% now as I have big projects with bad naming convention applied and being able to change the preffix would be life saver…

Hi,

Here’s a version which will handle Prefixes too.

Unzip the file to your Desktop, open any containing folder and then copy the BatchRename_2020.zsc file and BatchRenameData_2020 folder to the ZBrush 2020.1.4/ZStartup/ZPlugs64 folder.

Restart ZBrush and there should be a new Batch Rename sub-palette in the Zplugin menu. The buttons should be self-explanatory.

Note that if removal of a prefix or suffix would result in a name of less than two characters the subtool will not be renamed.

BatchRename_2020.zip (257.0 KB)

HTH,
Marcus

5 Likes

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

OMG! Thank you, thank you, thank you! It’s gonna save me ton of work! You are awesome man!

Edit:

It works like a charm! It’s my favourite plugin now, and you are my favourite person right now! Yuppi! :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

1 Like

That’s great! :grinning:

1 Like

Hey @marcus_civis,

This plug-in is amazing. You just saved me from having to rename 60+ subtools manually. I have a question, though. Is it possible for something like this to rename only visible subtools?

Thanks

I’d need to rewrite the plugin but it wouldn’t be difficult. I’ll look into it.
-Marcus

1 Like

Hi,

Here is a new version that will operate on visible subtools, or all subtools in a folder - just select the option you want from the buttons.

Make sure you replace the whole of the previous version with this one:

BatchRename_2020_02.zip (258.0 KB)

HTH,
Marcus

6 Likes

Thanks,

This has been a great help.

1 Like

Marcus you are a dream come true. Thank You for this plugin.

1 Like

Hello Marcus! Your scripts are lifesavers. Regarding this one in particular, though, I can’t seem to get the very latest version of it to show up in the zplugin menu. Oddly enough the previously version works fine. Any ideas? The files are in the correct locations within the Zplugs64 folder, and I’m on the latest version of Zbrush.