ZBrushCentral

Normal Map - Zmapper

My question is the following: Is it always necessary to apply normal map?

I have made a very simple model in order to learn color map, displacement map and normal map, I simply added it a nose and a mouth and I hardly inflated muscles. To this model I created the UV map in Maya and it was fine.

When I took the Displacement map to Maya 8.5, it was fine, Texture color = ok, but when I created the normal map with ZMapper the result was not correct, like with scars in the face, mouth, nose.

In this case is it necessary to apply the normal map? Is the result incorrect because it is a simple object, is it a set up problem or is the reason other?.

I have looked in the forum but I am not able to find an answer. I have read the guide of Normal map but I don’t find an example of configuration of parameters. Does it exist a standard configuration? I simply request if you can help me sending me to some place where I can find documentation.

Besides requesting help, I want to thank and to congratulate to those responsible for the web and to their members because the tutorials are very good and in the forums they think about very interesting topics. I am learning a lot in spite of my great difficulty because of the language.

Thank you very much.
Regards.
con normal map1.jpg

Attachments

con normal map.jpg

Did you remember to flip the normal map vertically?

Yes, I have made “FlipV” at the three: Normal Map, Color Map and Displacement Map.
The three have the same orientation.

A greeting

Can you show a render where the normal map has been applied as both normals and color? This may help spot the problem.

I have made an uv map in Maya with: “automatic mapping.” Can this be one of the problems? This Uv map has cuts in the area of the face and maybe for that reason the normal map shows a bad result. Should I have united the uv of the face?

I only made a color map to practice (for that reason it is not very beautiful, the girl neither is very worked). I have connected the Color Map to the color of the material in Maya.

I have connected the Normal Map in the bump map of the material in Maya
I was using the Normal Map like bump.
Now I have put it as: Tangent Space Normals.
And I have also changed the values of Color Balance.

Have I made bad the connection?

When making the render there are still continued seeing cuts in the face (although it is better).
Could you confirm me:

1. if perfecting the uv map would the normal map be better?
  2. Does the normal map always make visible the cuts of the uv map?
  3. Should I always use in Tangent Space Normals or is it casual that it is better?

I will work with a sphere or with a cube, I will sculpt it and I will make the normal map to see the result. The only thing that I need to know is if I go for good road.

Thanks aurick.

1.ConexionMaya.jpg

Attachments

3 NM.jpg

4.CM.jpg

5.bump.jpg

6.tangent.jpg

2.DM.jpg

7.render.jpg