ZBrushCentral

NEWBIE CHALLENGE RETURNS ! #3 Eyes

More eyeseye2.jpg

I’m trying to make a 2 part eye with a transparent cornea for more realism. I can’t seem to work it out. How can I get a transparent part as part of multimarker tool?

hey blaine

try a search on KenB…he did a tutorial somewhere on a two part eye but I don’t have the link on this computer. Cant remember exactly how he did it so am not postive it will answer your question here or not but might give you some ideas anyway.

Great looking eyes! Good stuff.

There’s a good thread here http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=10263

Check out posts 3 and 6 in particular.

Thanks aminuts and Moochie

I seem to be the only one left. Oh well. I thought I’d try a real iris to see how it looked. Since the eyes are so important, I think the effort to put together a set of realistic eyes is worth it.
real eye post1.jpg
Thanks for the tutorial links about the multiple part eyes. I cant seem to get the steps to work for me though. The MM tool is quite hard to figure out when using it between layers. The tut’s I found seem to assume more knowledge than I have and are not of much help. I wish more of the tut’s were all inclusive and step by step.

Beautiful eye! Don’t worry, these threads soon run out of steam. That’s not because folk aren’t interested, but because ZB is right on the cutting edge and most of the regulars here are driven to invent and create (you’ve probably noticed!). And many are involved in loads of different projects (I’m up to my neck in stuff at the moment). Sometimes ZB Central can seem really quiet … in reality it’s anything but. You’re making fantastic progress because you’re doing what’s right for you. Just keep going … I’ll join you once I’ve cleared my personal decks somewhat. Next challenge (adding eyes to a head and making tight fitting eyelids) is probably going to appear this weekend. I’ll have to think of a more snappy title though!

Moochie,
Thanks for the reply. Not to worry, I was not complaining. I tend to take everything to the extreme. When I start out to create something, I never think what I’ve done is good enough.
About the name for the new challenge, how about - “You have the perfect eyes, now what?”

ummm Blaine…can I have my eye back?

thought i was looking at my eye in a mirror there for a second. but mine isn’t quite that bloodshot hahaha well in a few hours it will be i reckon.

keep going!

finally got a chance to crack open the zb2 demo. figured this was a good place to start. zb is so cool!

if anyone cares… i did this in projection master. basically flat color on the iris then hand draw white strokes. added some (darker) color around the edge then used the highlight and shade enhancer brushes.

thanks for the script moochie - helped me figure out grouping and selecting and such really fast…

and oops forgot to say great work to all the participants - they all look cool!

peteseye.jpg

ok so i’m addicted! just another attempt using the same technique but this time using several layers of colors instead of just white. i’m posting the iris too. have at it as you will or not…

peteseye2.jpg

Attachments

iris.jpg

Looks great Pete330. Especialy the second one. A lot of great eyes and techniques on this thread.:+1:

thanks blaine! these are fun. zb is so cool…

Very cool eyes, pete330! And thanks for sharing the iris … it looks very realistic!

thanks moochie! this was fun and for an ultra noob like me, a great way to start learning. thanks for posting the challenge and the tuts…

Hi everyone,
One final eye and a couple of textures.
eyeblue1.jpg
Just right click and save. Best quality I could do at this file size. Use 3d sphere tool. Set Tool>Initialize>HDivide to at least 256 and VDivide to at least 128 and import the texture. Then use the ToyPlastic material.

Attachments

eyeblue1tex.jpg

eyebrown1tex.jpg

Most excellent! Hope to see you in the next challenge. Pun intended.

lol moochie! great job blaine!

mooch that was awful :lol:

Blaine is right about the Ken Brilliant tut, regarding the mutipart Eye. Even Ken can’t remember how he did it now. So if someone can crack the code between materials and layers it would be helpful.
Two thing that’s missing from all the techniques where the iris is painted on ball surface is the way light hits the iris-its lighter on bottom hemispher than upper. The second is regarding a cornial bulge-this lends to realism by deforming the upper lid slightly.
Just some thoughts that have made a difference when making eyes in the world of Animatronics.