ZBrushCentral

Need to Import a Third-party Base Mesh into ZBrush

Hello. I recently purchased a “ZBrush-ready” base mesh of some standard animals and cannot for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong in my attempt to import them into ZBrush. (I have ZBrush 2021.7.1 installed.) I do not want to assume it is a bad product, rather I assume it is completely user-error. (I am still learning about all the amazing things I can do in ZBrush. Sculpting my own items is one thing. The simple act of importing a third-party base mesh is absolutely stumping me…) I am looking for a step-by-step process to be sure I have all the information I need to do this correctly, if someone can help me out, please. Thanks so much in advance. :heart:

What file format are they? In general from the tool section import (3D mesh) will load it in for you to be able to start working on.

Hello @rhiamonshae ,

The simple basic process is this:

1 ) Make certain the file is a supported format for import.

3 ) Use Tool> Import.

This missing step here is not absolutely necessary, but you’ll run into problems if you don’t do it.

Step 2 ) Select the default polymesh 3d star as an import target and enter edit mode. This step is important because the mesh that is active at the time of import matters in ZBrush. You are essentially replacing the active mesh with the incoming mesh. Each active tool has its own unique scale and position settings that the incoming mesh will inherit. The star is commonly used as an import target for this reason, as it has zeroed out settings and you can be sure of a clean slate. Importing a mesh while a tool with non-zero settings is active may result in scale/offset shifts in some situations.

Good luck!

Oh, gee…Sorry that I neglected to include that the file is an obj.

I never did select the star, so I will give that a try.

Thank you so, so much. Cross your fingers for me, everyone! :crossed_fingers: