ZBrushCentral

Nanomesh--is it possible to apply random meshes from IMM as a Nanomesh?

When you convert an IMM into a Nanomesh brush and then use it to apply to all of the polys of a subtool, can you set it so that it randomly selects different meshes from the IMM brush? You can do this with IMM on a curve, but can’t find a way to do this with nanomesh

Sorry, didn’t see this question here and replied on the AskZbrush thread. See here

Not sure if you can have random nanomesh assignment from a multi IMM nanomesh brush. If you can’t there’s a workaround. With Zmodeller PolyAction:Polygroup:All Polys and set coverage to a suitable percentage, say 10% (default is full coverage) Set the PG then hide them and assign another PG on the remaining polys. Continue until you have a random set of PGs on all your polys. Then assign a differ nanomesh to each of the PGs in your mesh. I used this method to assign random variations of scales to a snake. Good luck.

2 Likes

I’ll have to try that work around, thanks for sharing it!

I tried this method out and it worked great! It would be nice if there were a way to randomly assign multi-mesh parts in a single nanomesh, but using Zmodler to assign random polygroups with the percentage slider worked out great to randomize the distribution. It was easy to drop in the nanomesh parts afterwards.

In hindsight, this method works out better than just randomizing the nanomesh through a single placement–since each different mesh is a different index within the nanomesh it allows them to be manipulated separately.

Thanks for the great solution!