ZBrushCentral

nagulov's sketchbook

Great render, superb sculpting :slight_smile:
Inspiring indeed

Great sculpting, mate :+1:

Thanks a lot, everyone! This means a great deal to me, especially coming from such talented people.

great!

Beautiful work mate! you’ve some mad skills in there…
Looking forward to see more.

Nice sculpting! Very expressive poses with lots of tension in the muscles.

These are really great, especially love the women!

Really good sculpts. They look very natural and and fleshy. Keep them coming.

Looks awesome! :+1:

beautiful work

Nice anatomy, and movement to these sculpts.

I just love the studies man!!! keep them coming, really inspiring :slight_smile:

Long time no post! Thanks for the kind words everyone. So I attempted a quick sculpt to get back into the swing of things, this being the result. I’m a bit rusty, but what’re you gonna do. Initially I wanted to do the arms and head as well, but got discouraged along the way with how much time it was taking.

At this point I’m increasingly frustrated with my technique - it often feels as though I’m fighting zbrush to get the forms and surfaces that I see in my mind. But surely there’s a tutorial for that. :wink:

CopHat_02.jpg
CopHat_03.jpg

Really good sculpt. I know what you mean about the frustration. I think everyone experience it, me including. I discovered the resolution for myself - just to keep sculpting. Breaks are good but not for too long.

i liked a lot, very promising, looking forward for more! But i think you got the focal length wrong, i feel too much perspective on those legs in comparison with the first and the second one, you know? cool sculpts though! :smiley:

It’s like with every sport out there - you need to keep training all the time, a break is always few steps back. But from what I can see with your work, you are on so high level that these few steps didn’t really affect you result (maybe the proces at least).
You rock man, great sculpt, superb anatomy and pose!

nice study

Thanks for the kind words! They really mean a lot.

@jpericles
agreed, the perspective is strong, but I kind of wanted to emphasize the thrust of the hips. But I should definitely work on my presentation. Even these quick renders are a step up from the screen caps I was posting in the beginning.

@nebular
yep, you’re right, I can definitely feel my sculpting skills atrophy whenever I take a long break. It’s too bad my day-to-day work is mainly in max, I only squeeze these in when I have the time/energy. It’s strange, actually, how sometimes I’m really feeling the need to sculpt, whereas other days, once the kid is in bed, all I want to do is play Hearthstone. :slight_smile:

@Intervain
Thanks! I wish you’d post more often, your work is awesome!

Anyhow, I should have another quick study for tomorrow.

So I was about to post my latest study this morning, when I noticed that Tiburone had just posted a sculpt with pretty much the exact same pose. Welp. Great minds think alike, I guess.

Anyhow, this fellow was waaay easier to sculpt than the hip lady. I’m guessing the large muscles and strong shapes had something to do with it. Same with old vs young faces, you’ve got something to grab onto – bumpy is easy, smooth is hard. All in all this sculpt took less time to do than usual for me, which I’ll count as progress. :wink:

I thought the sucked in stomach gave him an interesting, wasp-waisted quality, especially with such massive lats. I worked from a photo, no exaggeration on my part at all. If anything, the real man had even bigger thighs.

ReachUp_01.jpg

I spent significantly less time on the back. That untouched spherical skull is bothering me now.
ReachUp_03.jpg

I really didn’t want to do hands again - I tried importing them from an older sculpt, but it just wasn’t working. In the end, once I finally forced myself to sit down and do it, they turned out way better than I thought, and didn’t even take that much time. There’s a moral to this story, I bet.
ReachUp_04.jpg

Looks really convincing. I like it.