ZBrushCentral

N-Trig based screens

My understanding is ZBrush 2020.1.3 now has support for Windows Ink directly which means pressure sensitivity should work with N-Trig devices. True?

If so, I’ve used a Wacom Cintiq Companion for a number of years now but would like to expand to a more “mobile” solution. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve really loved my Cintiq but it’s getting a little long in the tooth and I’m going to need to upgrade at some point in the future. I just have a REALLY hard time justifying $3500 for a Wacom Mobile Studio Pro. Especially now that there are much cheaper/ lighter/ and more powerful laptops that “in theory” should work just as well with Zbrush.

Does anybody have any recent experience using N-Trig / Windows Ink devices with Zbrush 2020.1.3 or 2020.1.4? I’m thinking something like a Surface Pro 6 or 7, HP Spectre X360, Dell XPS 13 2in1, or maybe a Yoga c940 15. A 2in1 computer in that range of Price / Performance.

Any issues / caveats with Zbrush? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Gene

The official system specs listed for ZBrush still read as follows:

A Wacom (or compatible) pen tablet with a preference for professional models will provide you a better accuracy in your brush strokes and increase the artist feeling. We do not recommend tablets based on N-Trig technology, which is an entirely different protocol and not fully compatible with ZBrush.

Until that changes, if you want further information of ZBrush hardware compatibility from the people who actually make the software, you need to contact Pixologic Support.

This “Offical” thread HERE from Aurik himself reads as follows;

• Fixed: Pressure sensitivity when using Remote Desktop.

• Fixed: Pressure sensitivity when using mobile devices such as a Windows Surface device.

Important: After installing this update, there are specific steps that you need to follow in order to get pressure sensitivity over Remote Desktop or on a mobile device. Please see this article for instructions.

I asked a simple, legitimate question.

It still stands. Anyone with ACTUAL experience please reply.

Regards,

Gene

It’s still going to need WinTab drivers. The update didn’t give native n-trig support. What it did was fix an issue that was being experienced with pressure sensitivity even when the WinTab drivers had been installed.

I actually have quite a bit of experience getting people to the places they need to get the answers they want, hence the reason I directed you to Pixologic Support. If you want to speak to Pixologic about technical issues with your software this is where you need to go. Period.

These are the community boards where other users go to speak to other users about Zbrush usage issues. The people on this board are not privy to future hardware support plans for the software, or esoteric technical issues that might contradict official hardware recommendations. I gave you the most reliable way to be able to speak to people who are.

Good luck!