ZBrushCentral

My WIPs

I added a depth lens blur and it didn’t look that bad. Almost done with it just a few more adjustments and ill do a turnaround them some facial expressions of Stan.
LensBlureScene.jpg

Attachments

LensBlureScene.jpg

https://twitter.com/_AlexHirsch/status/755623013375152128.
Here is the link to the concept. Saw the concept and loved the expression. But damn the topology around the mouth was hard to control. Took a while but managed to get it working that was the only thing that fought me the whole way.
GrunkelLaugh.jpg

Attachments

GrunkelLaugh.jpg

Here is a turnaround of Grunkle Stan. Just rendering everything out now. All renders are done in Zbrush. Again, I wish I had Keyshot ahahahah 'complain, complain'.

Super fun Gravity Falls scene. There are a lot of little props that basically make the scene. The wood was the most challenging because there is a fine line of how much detail I can put on it before its to much detail and look like it doesn’t belong. Everything was rendered out of Zbrush and the base shapes of all models were made in Maya.

So I am back on Sylvanas still mushing around with her face. Its challenging, making a face that is strong and beautiful. I mean I have to thing female features, everything is smooth and on the surface, with an androgynous kick to it, bold, deeper, more pronounced features.
sylvshadows.jpg
syldiff.jpg

Attachments

sylvshadows.jpg

syldiff.jpg

BodyRender.jpgClayRenderface.jpgdiffrenderface.jpg
Haven’t received many critiques on this one unfortunately. Still feels like I’m missing something on the face or overlooking a certain feature. But here is Sylvanas so far.

Attachments

BodyRender.jpg

ClayRenderface.jpg

diffrenderface.jpg

Hi! Here are some suggestions about your female character.
I am not entirely sure about particular look you are striving for so next words might not be so helpful.

• Speaking about the face, the main problem is in proportions. Usually the inner eye corner is placed right at the middle line of the head. In your model the eyes are way too high which means whether her cranium is small or the lower part of the face is elongated. Might be both. One another good proportion rule says that face can be divided into equal thirds with marks at the bottom of the chin, bottom of the nose, the eyebrows and hair line plus about one eye width to the top of the cranium. Her bottom thiird is a bit heavy which makes her masculine (I know you are trying to make her strong and androgynous - I will talk about it later).
  • Overall the bottom part of her face appears shifted forward. Which ultimately elongates the nose.
  • The iris of the eye is moved towards the senter-line, leaving too much space laterally and giving her sight odd look. Don’t rush with eyes and give them enough time to make them perfect. Because the eye is the measuring unit for features of the face and if it is off - then everything would be off. Remember than in orthographic view the widest points of the head (parietal eminences) are almost five eyes apart.
  • Usually the bottom part of the iris just touches the lower eyelid. The upper eyelid goes somewhere in the middle of the pupil an upper part of the iris. Any deviations from this will cause different look: from drowsiness and intoxication to suspicious.
  • The lips are kinda boring and the mouth slit is just one curve suggesting smile. Which conflicts with frowned brows. Are you sure this is an expression you want?
  • I see she is slightly stylized. I’m guessing by the hard edges in her face. In some places they are too sharp. Like in the nose, making its front as one solid plane. The bottom profile of the jaw is also too sharp ascending posteriorly. Usually this line goes slightly downward or horizontally but not upward. Remember there is hyoid bone and its muscles under the mandible which created this soft plane.
  • In front view I cannot see the cylinder of the neck. Usually the sides of neck are almost parallel but in your female they flare too quick. Looks strange, considering how delicate it is from a side view.

Personally, if I were you and was making a strong androgynous female I would pick a different approach. Instead of increasing features and volumes in hope to make masculine look, I would accentuate the structure. Prominent, slightly angular cheeks. Smaller but more expressive mouth. Refined, a bit chiseled chin, not massive and angular yet not round and soft. Lesser fat deposits on the cheeks, maybe more prominent line of Zygomaticus major. But again, I’m not sure about what exactly you are trying to achieve.

There are many other points worth to mention but I’m a bit tired right now… almost a midnight. So sorry for mistakes and I hope that helps a bit.

Hey vir norin thanks a lot for the helpful tips, Ill be sure to post the reference I am using and elaborate more on what kind of face I am trying to achieve. Ill consider what you said when I continue to work on Sylvanas. Again thanks a lot buddy I really appreciate it.

Started working on a new bust again. Here is the first pass. The concept is from Kevin Keele
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lrkhsVh9dIg/VuGS77ma9JI/AAAAAAAABeg/eRTv8JzAVBQ/s1600/OldestMan.jpg
SuperOldGuy.jpg

Attachments

SuperOldGuy.jpg

So I did the second sculpting pass on this guy basically just making the wrinkles more pronounced and started to break the symmetry. Added some quick fibers for good measure. again original concept from Kevin Keele.
SOGsecondpass.jpg

Attachments

SOGsecondpass.jpg

So layer by layer I started adding color variation to his face starting with the base skin tan color
the some pinks and red. I think I might be adding more skin texture to it and more old spots.
Comments and critiques if you got 'em.
superOldguyColorPass.jpg

Attachments

superOldguyColorPass.jpg

Did a first pass of expressions on wrinkles here the squish expression is challenging if I push it too much it gets off model and starts looking like Gandhi I wast old.
pas1.jpg pas2.jpg

Attachments

pas1.jpg

pas2.jpg

So here is the reference I was using for sylvanas. The main idea is to try and make the original concept look like a real person and for that I was mainly borrowing some of scarletts features. After I settled on a look I started a first pass of expressions.
Exp1sylv.jpgexp2sylv.jpgreff.jpg

Attachments

reff.jpg

Exp1sylv.jpg

exp2sylv.jpg

My ref could help you

http://www.samuelcote.com/ref/casting/scarlett_j/index.html

Nice job! Fun to see you progress/learn. You have talent. My favorites are Super Old Man and the Store. I look forward to seeing more!

Awesome, thanks tsitrana. and thanks scote for the reff. Here is a quick up date. Just cleaned up the expressions and started painting the armor.
SylvanDiff.jpg

Attachments

SylvanDiff.jpg

So I think I can be a hairdresser… Nah. I went ahead and add some fibers for her head. I have also been trying out different material renders to get a better idea of what colors to use. But for now i think i made the metal to dark.ProgressSylv2.jpg

Attachments

ProgressSylv2.jpg

So I continued to add the last few touches to the bust. I keep wondering about the hair line and the bone material… I think ill just make a few more tweaks and move on. with it. Later in the future ill definitely finish the body and pose her.
SilvProg_3.jpg

Attachments

SilvProg_3.jpg

I rendered the turnaround in Zbrush and the fibers realy like to take their time to render. Again ill just render the other expressions for now and move onto another project for now.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/180427985" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen

I was listening to a pod cast and they started talking about the iron giant and I remembered how awesome the movie was so then i started doing what I always do. Here is a first face pass and a some fun expression passes.
Hogarthexp.jpg

Attachments

Hogarthexp.jpg