ZBrushCentral

Minos, The Infernal Judge - Divine Comedy

While reading Divine Comedy By Dante Alighieri I was inspired to create some of the characters that were described in Hell.

Minos, The Infernal Judge, in Dante’s world is the judge of the underworld. He is located at the second circle of Hell, just after Limbo. His task is to listen to the souls in front of him, who reveal their worst sins.
Minos then decides their position in hell, based on their sins, by wrapping his serpent tail around his body a certain number of times. That number is the circle the soul in front of him will have to go to.
“There, Minos stands
Grinning with ghastly feature: he, of all
Who enter, strict examining the crimes…”

Also inspired by amazing Gustave Dore’s illustration.

This is the first piece inspired by Dante, more to come

6 Likes

Solid sculpt @Lazarisailovic you clearly have a good understanding of anatomy. The only thing I thought I’d mention is the belly folds…they don’t look natural for a muscular character…even at his age. Great job on the expression and beard details :+1:
Jaime

1 Like

Thanks, Jamie! I did struggle a bit with belly folds, I had a few references but will try to take more care of them next time. Thank you for the constructive comment!

was it not Michelangelo’s twist to have Minos wearing the face of a disliked pope and having the serpent bite into his genitals?
The last showed up only after the mural was cleaned.