ZBrushCentral

Making clothing in Zbrush core

This is the fourth head I’ve sculpted in Zbrush Core. Before that I was using Zbrush Mini. Though I feel confident enough to render the hair I’m not quite sure how to approach the clothing, especially the coat collar and lapels. I was thinking of masking the shape of the lapels and then extracting it moving it into place. The limitations of Zbrush core and working around not having all the functions of the full program available to me is a bit frustrating at times. I have an idea of what I need to finish this piece. It’s just a matter of getting there. I’m open to any ideas or suggestions.

Hello @Gary_Dombrowski ,

Mesh Extracts are going to be your most useful clothing tool in ZBrushCore.

However, to get the most out of them it helps to realize that you don’t have to create the extracts only on your body mesh. You can duplicate that mesh and sculpt it out of shape in some places, while adhering to the form in others, for the sole purpose of shaping the eventual extract. For instance, if you wanted to sculpt a trench coat flaring in the wind around a character’s legs, you could duplicate that character mesh, fuse the legs together, and sculpt the lower torso into a flared/bell shape. Then when you generate the garment from that shape, it would fit perfectly at the waist of the original while flaring out around the legs, with no tedious point pulling. This could also be done to shape your lapel pieces.

In some situations it may be useful to create the extracts with thickness so the pieces can be fused together with Dynamesh. In other cases it might be useful to extract the mesh with zero thickness and sculpt it into shape before creating some thickness for it. Brush > Automasking> BackFace Mask can be useful for sculpting on one surface that is very close to another rear facing surface without affecting the rear.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response and suggestion. I’ve given the subject a lot of thought and pretty much came to the same conclusions to get around the limitations of Zbrush Core.