ZBrushCentral

LrZo sculpt and stuff

great piece and thank you for the breakdown. looking forward to seeing your next piece.

So when you polypainted you also painted the speculars? Doesnā€™t that mean that the object is going to look good only from one angle or if the lights are fixed?

Youā€™re absolutely right Johnnynapalmsc.
If the polypaint was done for a videogame character or an animated serie, it wouldnā€™t work 'cause I included oriented highlights and shadows.
In this particular case, as a personal work, I just wanted to make a beauty shot, and locked the camera when I painted the model in Zbrush
I knew I would render it with multipasses in Zbrush, so I chose to lock the angle and work it that way

Excellent ! I love the result !
Thanks for the breakdown.

I love your work and your breakdown here!!! Awesome!!! Probably bad etiquette to ask a Magician how he does his magic butā€¦

Curious about certain layers in Photoshop what and how blending modes are used to get the right effectā€¦

1. Do you use the Greyscale Ambient Occlusion and Depth Renders both as Multiply layers for better shadows or are there other uses??? Do you convert them to RGB in the stack???

2. Iā€™m guessing Screen mode for the Rim Light and Specular layers???

3. Multiply for the Sketch Shade and Framer layers???

4. Since you only need the gold layer for the pipe and goggles are you just erasing the rest of that layer???

5. Are you using the Polypaint and Polypaint + Wax layers as the base layer for the previous???

6. How did you achieve such a Painterly look for this character???

Hey remcv8, glad you like it!
Nothing magic in here, just a bit of Photoshop technique and a lot of improvisation
Building a render with multipasses from ZBrush is not an exact science, the blending modes may change from one image to another

1) Do you use the Greyscale Ambient Occlusion and Depth Renders both as Multiply layers for better shadows or are there other uses??? Do you convert them to RGB in the stack???
AO set as multiply only
the ZDepth is used when the final image is composited: on top of all the layers, flatten the image. Copy the ZDepth in the Alpha channel.
Apply a lens blur on the flattened image, loading the alpha channel in the filter.

2) Iā€™m guessing Screen mode for the Rim Light and Specular layers???
Rim Lights set as Lighten
Skin Specular set as Color Dodge

1. Multiply for the Sketch Shade and Framer layers???
    Sketch Shade set as Overlay
    Framer04 set as Soft Light

2. Since you only need the gold layer for the pipe and goggles are you just erasing the rest of that layer???
    I simplified the full process, I used additional passes that are not shown in the breakdown, for the pipe and goggles.
    Never erase parts of your layers, use Layer masks instead!Smoother process, better control.
    I use layer masks on almost every layer of the render, and many layers are not applied with a 100% opacity

3. Are you using the Polypaint and Polypaint + Wax layers as the base layer for the previous???
    Polypaint, Wax, AO, framer04 as base layers, Light layers on top

4. How did you achieve such a Painterly look for this character???
    Iā€™m a big fan of the concept arts for Dishonored, and tried to get a close render.
    I sculpted most of the model with claytube, to keep a very handculpted clay render.
    The Framer04 and SketchShade materials improve this feeling
    I use a square brush and the rake brush for the polypaint, to get a chalk / painterly style

Hope that may help :wink:

Thanks for breaking it down :slight_smile: really well done! I dig the painterly vibe, comes across super consistent. :+1:

LrZo, you really went out of your way to explain your processā€¦ For that, I am extremely gratefulā€¦:slight_smile: I have been experiementing with multi-pass layers for a while and with mixed results. There are some good outcomes and some that come out too saturated where I intended highlights or absolute black where I had wished to convey a hint of the form in the shadow. Needless to say, it is always experimental and improvised.

Your breakdown gives me a better understanding of the blending modes and how to get more out of the post process.

Thank you very much!!!

Stylish designs dude!!! thanks for the inspiration :slight_smile:

Man! Astonishing work!! Great stuffs in your portfolio Dude!! See ya soon!:smiley:

This looks really cool. Thanks for sharing!