Joseph Drust - ZBrush 2019 Beta Testing

I wanted to share some of my experiments during beta testing for ZBrush 2019. This version simplified a lot of my workflows making asset creation a lot faster.

The Spotlight3D functionality is pretty amazing especially when coupled with Live Booleans. Starting with a few simple alphas you are able to modify these into various shapes then turn them into 3D instantly. With these in 3D you can then modify the position and shape with the Gizmo3D.

Here are some more experiments creating shapes that could potentially be CNC milled.

Another thing that worked really well with the Spotlight3D created meshes was using the CTRL + Bevel functionality to create beveling from the Polygrouping. The meshes from Spotlight3D are setup perfectly to use this. Here is a quick tutorial image showing the process.








Then took this a bit further and created some quick weapon designs. These were created while using the new updates to the Material line and Cavity settings. Was able to create while viewing the mesh in this pixelated view.



I then rendered these out quickly to get a semi realistic effect.



I used the Spotlight3D system to generate some more meshes these were then rendered using the BPR filters.



I did a lot of experimenting with the new BPR filters. These led me down paths to create quick images for illustration. Starting with some Pen and Ink Style Drawings. It was also fun to dig up some older models and revitalize them through the user of the new BPR filters.


I then started messing with blending Polypaint on the models with the BRP filters. This opened added another level of complexity to the images. I experimented with trying to match the styles of illustrations from children’s books. The BPR filters also work really well with quick sculpted models to hide artifacts and imperfections. The Squirrel and Dinosaurs were really really really quick and dirty Sculptris pro sculpts. The flat shading and BPR filters ended up creating the result.

I also started messing with trying to obtain more abstract results. These ended up creating some interesting designs and styles that could be used to create a whole series of 3D Paintings. Since everything is in 3D you can just rotate/reposition the model, change the filter, and re-render to create a totally different effect.

Finally I wanted to generate an image that incorporated the features in this version. This is where the ‘Spotbot’ and his boxes came into play. The robot and the cameras were created using Spotlight3D.

The ‘Spotbot’ went through a few versions before coming to the final. The models were created using Snapshot3D and live Boolean.

The ‘Spotbot’ and the rest of the scene assets were polypainted quickly to generate a illustration effect.

The image was then rendered using the new BPR Filters to create the final NPR result.


I love these Joseph! Fantastic work!
As my dad is a photographer and collects old cameras it really fascinates and resonates me!

All this glorious stuff and I’m stuck obsessing about how cute those cameras came out when rendered in that style. They’d make an incredible icon pack!

Thanks for sharing the inspiration and talent here and on the livestream, really helps to get across what the new features are capable of, the snapshot way of modeling has opened up my mind to thinking about modeling in a new (in an old CAD way) way and that’s not easy to do. Very powerful featureset this push that all works together in harmony and allows us to revisit all the old tools that we never could use to their fullest potential due to topology concerns (clip curve brushes anyone? Pfft no problem just zremesh that noise now)…which really just “brings home” the whole shebang finally. Mind expanding release and the stuff being shown here is inspiring to want to get to know it inside and out so all this helps for sure, thanks again :+1:

@Extra Dimensional: Thanks; glad you enjoyed the stream =) The cameras would make a good icon pack, I may need to look into that :slight_smile:

@heat: Thanks! I’m waiting for technology to get small enough so that a digital sensor can be created that can be loaded into analog cameras like a sheet of film. There have been a few attempts (there is one currently that comes with a 3D printed housing that attaches to various old analog camera but it is quite huge.) Still holding onto my old Canons :slight_smile:


love it :heart::heart::heart: