ZBrushCentral

Eye - Lighting Challenge

Just awsome work mate, it really looks like an eye. The veins are perfect. :smiley:

freewaldo - Thx’s, here is the link to the contest http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=411452

Hey there. Beautiful eye man. I agree with you about tha conclusion that the outer eye does not reflect very much at all.

I have a one Q’s and one crit…and I only crit becuase I know you want feedback :slight_smile:

I think the Cornea would buldge a little more than you have it right now. It seems a liitle flat.

Did you use a bump on the iris or simply a good reference image?

Congrats on top row. Well deserved. We are all commenting on your eye and forgetting that your skin is just beautiful…:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Hi Elixir, Thx’s for the kind comments! I thought as well the cornea would bulge some but when I had it bulging it simply didn’t look right, from the reference images I looked at the eye ball always looked pretty smooth straight on only from different angles can you tell that the cornea is bulging or at least that is what I came to see. Yea I did use some bump on the iris since when you get that close to the iris you start to see the fibers in the eye.

I would love to see some wires :slight_smile:

Elixir here is the shade view of the mesh I ended up using, the wire is way to dense to just show the wire since I used the imported mesh from zbrush that I tweaked.

![shadeShot.jpg|543x405](upload://1BI81YjGmzPYbLEoV0b9gOE2Fte.jpeg)

Here is one mesh I start to experiment with to bring out the skin features but in the end I just used the bump map to bring those fine details.

![dispShadeShot.jpg|543x405](upload://7LT0FZyR6PYSfNEcdPM4OZG8oGp.jpeg)

Thanks mate, your about the best one in the contest.

good work :smiley:

Nice work on the eye, one of the better ones I’ve seen in this challange!
Good to see you put my mesh to good use.

:smiley: Thx’s for the kind words. But it is I who should be thanking you for providing a nice mesh to work with for the contest!!!

First off, amazing job on the skin shader, it looks so damn real! By any chance can we get our hands on that suhweet skin shader you wrote and maybe a tutorial on the eyelashes? I plan on using Shave and a Haircut for the first time on a model I’m doing right now.
The only things I’ve noticed is that there is no transition from the Sclera to the Cornea, from white to transparent, it’s too sharp. This contributes to the eye looking somewhat flat. Not sure how you set up the eye but this is achieved by using a simple ramp.
The other thing that makes it look flat is there seems to be no refraction from the Cornea. Even looking at it straight on you should be able to see refraction, the Iris bulging just a bit. Try a before and after and you will see a huge difference. I believe the refraction should be set at 1.38
The last tiny tiny detail would be putting a slight bump on the eye itself and maybe a bit more on the veins. The eye is covered with a thin layer of liquid/fluid and would’nt be completely smooth. I think this would help that reflection of the nose as well. It’s too sharp.
Just a few minor adjustments and this would have to be the most realistic close-up of a human eye I’ve ever seen. Hope I didn’t sound too nit picky.

Thx’s neuromancer2, I plan on releasing the shader for maya software/mental-ray renderer. The shader itself is ready to go, I just need to find time to finish the documentation for it. As far as the lashes nothing really special just taking some poly mesh eyelashs and telling shave to convert to hair splines, mostly the biggest thing with hair or eyelashs will be the hair shader your using on it that will give it that end realism. I completely agree with the comments you made, sometime ago I actually went back and fixed a few of the issues. I just never posted up the never results here. But here is updated version of the eye.

![eyeLightShade.jpg|640x465](upload://asg5GdNrwhMVIbiXT465w6GFZ3T.jpeg)

amazing!

looks good, but the eye needs more veins. But don’t go crazy and make it look bloodshot. Also I think the lashes are too thick. Thin the hairs out a bit, and also less lash density.

Can’t wait to try out the shader! The updates look great. The only thing that doesn’t look quite right is you thickened up the lashes a bit, the top is fine but the bottom lashes are usually thinned out, not as dense as the top. Still an excellent job.