ZBrushCentral

Dom's Sketchbook

Great sculpt!!! were you print this ? looks perfect !

Beautiful sculpt and beautiful print. I can see the detail loss that you are speaking of. Is there anything that can be done on the artist side to minimize the loss in detail, or is this just a function of the resolution of the prints that are available with today’s printers?

Ownage has some of the best prints that I have seen out there, along with Protodemon [http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?71423-Protodemon-3d-output-examples

L](http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?71423-Protodemon-3d-output-examples)ooks like Protodemon is not up and running any more?

I really wish I had the money to print all of my projects out…ahh one can dream right? :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the work! Very inspirational stuff!!!

Peace-NickZ. :slight_smile:

Jriva- thanks! Ha, i almost mistook you for your brother.

giacoppo- sure, i’ll post it up tonight after I get back from work.

m0delista- thanks! I printed this at Ownage.

nickz- there really isn’t anything the artist can do to minimize loss of detail although I would say is that you could plan ahead on what you want sculpted and the size of it. for instance, if I only decided to go with this 4 inch bust I could have skipped on a lot of details. That said, the nice people at ownage mentioned that there could one more level of detail on this bust but that printer broke down.

Thanks for all the comments.

Good idea for composing;)

Awesome! Thanks Dominic.

Here’s the material I used. It’s very basic, the bulk of the look I got from those renders were mostly done with tweaking lights and render settings in BPR.

BrainSynch_Wax.zip (8.56 KB)BrainSynch_Wax.zip (8.56 KB)

Is it a resin print? Beautiful result indeed.:+1:

Yep, it’s a resin print. :slight_smile:

Here’s one more picture of the bust. This is very close to how the finish on the bust actually looks like. It’s not as shiny though.

Brainsynch_Bust_BlackBG.jpg

Attachments

Brainsynch_Bust_BlackBG.jpg

Cool print! How much $$??

Castings are in. Really pleased with the results.

Brainsynch-Resin-Casts-01-960x720.jpg

Brainsynch-Resin-Casts-021-960x720.jpg

Brainsynch-Resin-Casts-03-720x960.jpg

how much was the print if you don’t mind me asking?

3dMob- Check with Ownage.com. Rest assure though that Desmoda is a real nice guy to deal with and their prices are by far the most competitive of any printing company.

Cornelius started out as a random idea in my head, once I started shaping the sculpt, the design grew on me so I decided to push it further. In this case, my early doodles led me to a horned creature with fins. Hence, the name and species came to me naturally. I started incorporating various elements to imply that the creature is amphibious, such as fleshy horns and air sacs on his neck. At the same time, I didn’t want him to look like a creature that had to live underwater all the time so I added more human elements, goat eyes, skin folds and made the fins look less aquatic. And why not six eyes too while we’re at it. I also made a print of this piece. Thanks for looking.

Name: Cornelius
Species: Capricornus Sapien
Languages spoken: English, Latin
Other known names: Goatman, Lambchop

Cornelius_Portrait.jpg

Cornelius_Shots.jpg

Cornelius_Print_01.jpg

Attachments

Cornelius_Shots.jpg

Cornelius_Print_01.jpg

Like the expression and sculpting a lot , … :+1:

love the sculpt, great skill and renders in realism. great depth of field in the one render with the ground test, keep going, turntables and a render set up would be a great demo for some here keep it up

Great renders!

Hey Dom,

Really nice work, I was wondering if you could speak a bit about your casting process? Always a lurker when it comes to 3D print processes and getting the most out of them. So far I’ve accumulated this bunch of info which I’ve yet to put into practice but hope it helps others too.

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=95& - general post print forum section

http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-silicone-and-ultracal-matrix-mold/step2/Make-your-base-blocks/ - instructables has alot of info on there regarding many casting processes and I haven’t been through them all.

cheers

Totally Love the design of the Creature!
Great work he would Match just Perfect to my Alien Army
lookinh forward seeing more from you!
Cheers and happy sculpting,
Kenny

Thanks guys. The last picture isn’t a render, it’s an actual photo of the 3d print. I don’t cast these myself, I usually send it out to a caster to have it done. That said, I’m planning to dabble in some very basic casting. I think casting is the easy part, building good molds is the thing to master. The first 2 renders are also rendered in keyshot, still gotta wrap my head around BPR.