ZBrushCentral

Dan's Sketchbook

Hello again! So I managed to kinda overcome my problem with Fibermesh. I managed to get a hair in place and a couple od fur peaces arround on the model. I also brought the armor peaces to almost a finish stage from a modeling perspective (there is still more to do with their texturing and what not). I’m sure that I will go one more time through the whole model and do minor tweaks and repair some small mistakes that I found yesterday night when I was looking at these renders that I’m going to post now.
The process as a whole was very enjoyable once I got a certain method… I never did hard surface modeling in my entire life so this was a first for me… I had a learning source planed for this kind of modeling but one day I started to work on the armor and something magic stroke me in the head or something because in that day, in a few hours I manage to udnerstand the power (I mean the REAL power) of the Topo brush when it comes to character assets (aka subtools of the main … tool) and also understand the power of the new edge loop/crease control option combined with transpose modeling… Is like discovering a new modeling application in a modeling application… Is really fantastic how these work… Let me show you what I did:

The Fur peace on the back still needs some adjustments and I will probably change the coulour a little but at this point that won’t be a major thing to do since I allready know the Fibermesh settings that I need.

IMM brushes really come in handy and I didn’t explore them that much… all the belts and borders are done either with Topology Brush or, when I had small borders like the one on top of the Waist peace or the one around the pauldrons I used the tecnique based on edge loops and polygroups/ transpose modeling. When you basicaly take an edge loop, crease it and make a separate polygroup from it and than mask - inverse mask and inflate for a value of 1 or 2. I guess that all these techniques are fairly common and known but for some reason I didn’t find a lot of stuff about them… Or at least I didn’t before I manged to figure them out. However I do recomand you to go and check the Michael Pavlovich’s videos on Zbrush Classroom… Thanks a lot Michael and Zbrush for making those videos…

Now, what I also need to do is go in and review the proportions of the character a little bit since I feel like he can get a little bit bigger. I’m talking about the torso area and maybe I will try to define a few more muscles in the forearm. Also, the biggest problem this char has at the moment, in my opinion, are the eyes and his expresion in general… Is quite blank… So I want to go again over the face and adjust some key features. I want to do this before posing him because I want to get something from his look in this neutral pose because that will mean that once posed, the character will really comunicate with the viewers… At least that’s what I hope :slight_smile:

Allright… thanks for stoping by and please let me know what you think… Tell me if there is anything wrong or if you like something in particular. Let me know what you think about the armor as an overall peace and what you think about the character. Also, do not hesitate to make suggestions and please please please, go ahead and point out at everything that you see wrong!

Oh…almost forgot…Very important: The armor and how this character will look is havily inspired by Blizzard Entertainment Art style. I took a great deal of inspiration from Barbarian Artwork (the Diablo 3 class) and also from some WoW artwork. There were a few artists on Zbrush Central who really gave me ideas… even though there might be no clue when you look at this guy, there were some peaces here that really opened new roads for me to explore so I think they deserve the appropriate credit. Once I will get this project closer to an end I will make a file in which I will post all the artwork that I used. Thanks in advance and I will post these artworks soon. ( I’m thinking to start a blog so if I do it, than I will post all the images in there… think would be nicer than to do a simple list of names).

Thanks! Cheers!

how did you paint on the musculature to the base model? it looks amazing!

Hey guys!

So as I said, I intend to do a narrative scene with this guy and everything will be called “The Quest”… Is a very simple idea about a fantasy world where a hero does his hero things and hunts down beasts (is actually more complicated than that in my head but those are details no one would be interested in… they are there just to help me create things :slight_smile: ). This being said, I managed to get the beast done more or less this weekend. I will post a couple of wips and than the almost final render. I say almost because it still needs some work but my eyes are bleeding at the moment so I will stop here for now.

As usual, please let me know what you think! I really would appreciate your feedback on this creature since this is my first model that I do without any guidance (save the fact that the concept is not mine).

I started with three boxes and went on with Dymesh. Than added the extremities (paws) and the other small parts such as tongue, teeth and eyes. I tried to really get a decent structure on him so I went and took some horse anatomy pics and tried to bring some of that into my sculpt. The detailing was a mixture of alpha as a starting point and than, since I didn’t like how repetitive it was, I went down and for a couple of hours I stood and adjusted the details across the body.

The model is imagined after an idea originally modeled by a guy called Justi Romero. At the bottom of the page you will find a link to his demo reel on youtube and from there you can get on his website. I am sure many of you know him since he has one of the best models I’ve ever seen in my 8 months of CG world :).

Wip001.jpgWip01 copy.jpgDragonWip01.jpgDragonDetail01.jpg

The boney parts from the top of his head (yea they are supposed to be made from a bone like material) are still to be detailed… that would be the most obvious part left untouched… But go ahead and shoot whatever you can see and let me know what you think. Mostly if you think is ****, please let me know what you think! Please :slight_smile:

Justi Romero link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8-gkt8yi0
A timelapse I did with the Undo History and posted it on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TWdGN0KGxY part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2arB3MMY5w and the detailing part will come soon. The thing is I am not happy with how it looks so I might just start recording with Fraps or smth because the camera moving is very tiresome and you can’t see what I’m doing at times…

@Abraham Margosian : Hey there mate! Ahm, I am not sure what you mean… Like, how I sculpted the anatomy of the character? If this is it than you can find a bunch of details about the process on the first page of this thread. Hope I answered your question :slight_smile: If I didn’t let me know. If you’re new to Zbrush and would like to learn more check the Zbrush Classroom in order to get an idea about the program. If you want to push it further let me know and I can recommend you a few teaching resources.

Edit (31st of October): I just found out from Justi Romero that the original Dragon model was designed by Kosta Atanasov… I can’t load his website but I will update this as soon as I manage to get a contact with him!

Great to see someone this ambitious and articulate about his/her work! :slight_smile:
The final result on that human character is great! Keep studying and struggling! :+1:

Lycka till :wink:

Hey Santis! Thanks a lot for your comment!

Yea, is really awesome to receive a comment from some one whose work you appreciate so much as I do yours :slight_smile: Tack så mycket!

Looking foreword to see what I can come up with when I get down and start sculpting the environment and color the whole thing :slight_smile:

See you soon!

Hey guys!
So I have commited this sin again: I stoped posting in my sketchbook on Zbrush Central. I feel ashamed but I am here to repair the damage.

That was the bad news. Now the good news is that I stoped posting but I didn’t stop working. As a matter of fact in the past 6 months I’ve been working like a lunatic to get my portfolio done for university addmission. And I’ve done it. Is done. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Now… if you want to skip the whole thing and go and see my portfolio, scroll down to the bottom of this post and you will find it there. I won’t put it here because I want to post some still images and a little about each of them… since this is a sketchbook/diary makes sense to do that, right? :slight_smile:

So, not much after I made the last post here, I began an amazing course called “Character Design”. This course had Danny Williams (the one and only also known as Pointpusher) as instructor and it took place on the interwebz hosted by Visualarium. Now, I plan to do a post on my new made Blog/Website (yes, I have one of those as well now) about what I have learned and how amazing this course was. Here I will only show you what I came up with from the course. The short story is that because of this course I had the chance to learn amazing things in a short period of time, and the practical achievment is that the backbone of my portfolio was done here, at this course.

So let’s get the chars roolling:
The course was divided in three: Character for Games, Char. for Animation and Char. for VFX (live action).

So for my first assignment, the game character, I came up with this guy who is supposed to be a boss in a RPG kind of game. I started from thinking at WoW but as style I migrated more towards Diablo grimmness (is that a word?).

WIP images:

Final images:
Final01.jpg

It seems I have to do another post in order to upload the other chars since there is a limit of images/post.

So I will end this here and be back with the other characters.

If you want to go straight to the portfolio (which is a 3.50 minutes video), you can find it here: http://www.danmihaila.net/portfolio/

Cheers and see you in a bit! :slight_smile:

The second was the Cartoon Character… which was quite a bit of challenge and that’s because it was totally different from what I was used to sculpt (realistic, fantasy, bad ass… etc).
So I created this guy, who’s name is Frank. I’ll let the images speak for themselves :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

Great environment work! I would love to see a breakdown of how you did it. Nice scene :+1:

And the last one was the VFX Character.

This was done by going back to my old master, Scott Spencer. I took one of his concepts and developed it in a slightly different direction…

Here is what I came up with: :slight_smile:

And last but not least, I finished the scene with which I began this thread… The Warrior/Dragon thing.

Credit for the Dragon concept goes to Kosta Atanasov. He developed the 2d concept which later I saw at Justi Romero (the place from where I took it to recreate it)

Won’t post any wips since you kinda have them in the first posts. Here are a few screens from what I present in my portfolio.

So this is it in a nutshell. Here is the link again for the portfolio in case you want to watch the whole thing http://www.danmihaila.net/portfolio/

That’s all for now. This time I’ll try to be quick and return with some fresh models soon! :slight_smile:

Thanks for dropping by!

Cheers!

Dan

Hey man! This was actually such a good lesson for me because I learned how important it is to make a library that you can have handy while doing a scene like this. Also, it was exciting to see the power of deconstructing a polysphere until you would get a cube and than go from there and do windows, doors, stairs, blocs etc etc.

Anyway, enough talk, here are some images:

… after 40 minutes… Ok, I went through many past saves to reconstruct this and I tried to make it as easy to understand as possible. If you have some questions, please go ahead and ask and I’ll be more than happy to answer.

IMPORTANT: My suggestion is to take the images down and look on your computer since they are rather… long.
Check the bottom of the page for alpha credits and other goodies

As I said, the detailing of the blocks, the crack alphas, are from Danny Williams. They came when I downloaded his prefs which you can find @ http://pointpusher.com/prefs/zBrush/ Thank you Danny for sharing this! Check the UI because with a little tweaking you can get yourself a really functional UI.
There is a brick texture that you won’t find on ZBrush Download centre. That’s made from an image of some bricks.
If there is anything to add that I will remember later, I’ll post it in here.

Also, if you have any questions, let me know.

And, please, if you feel like/have the time for, please tell me what you think, tell me what went wrong, what problems you can spot, etc. Not only in this particular piece but in any other that might get your attention.

Thanks and I’ll see you soon!

2 hours character study
I’m curios if you guys can figure who this character is. It was done after a character from a game I enjoyed a lot recently.
Not a main character but I’m sure you’ve seen the original.
I’ll leave it like this for a few days just to see if anyone guesses who he is.

Honestly, I am not happy with the likeness but I guess the sculpt is not to bad.
Let me know what you guys think and if you can figure what was the original concept. :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Turntable: https://vimeo.com/64470253

Hey!

The last character was SlackJaw from Dishonored. I fell in love with that game so I decided to focus my exercises on the art from that game.
Here is my first time lapse and another 2 hours speed sculpt on one of the Pendelton brothers.

https://vimeo.com/64998701

Pendelton.jpg

Original concept: Linus Lidberg - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=339976

Thanks for stoping by and if you’ve got a minute, let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Dan

When he helped me build my website, I promised him that I will try to make it up and give him something in return. :slight_smile: After he saw my sculpts from Dishonored he asked me if I could sculpt him a portrait… well… I said I could try at least… :slight_smile:

Here is my first attempt to model after a real person with the aim of getting as close as I can with the looks… One thing I learned for sure while doing this: likeness is one of the most difficult thing to achieve… at least for me it is!

Thanks again to Richard McMaster for his help with my website and for giving me the opportunity to try my hand at a portrait! The guy lives in the States while I live in Sweden so I did everything after a bunch of photos he sent me.
Here is two of them:

And here is the sculpt:
3Q_02_croped.jpg
3Q_croped.jpg
Detail_croped.jpg

and the turntable: https://vimeo.com/69400129

Thanks for stopping by and let me know what you think!

Cheers!

Dan