ZBrushCentral

Constraining texture proportion when applying with a brush

Hello! Does anyone know if there is a way to keep a texture from stretching over your model when using drag rectangle to apply it?

For example: Using the standard brush set to drag rectangle, you can activate or import a texture image and drag out that texture onto the model, but after it reaches a certain size, it begins to stretch to fit or wrap completely around the model. Distorting the image to create that full wrapping connection.

I would like to set it to maintain the rectangular shape of the imported texture image regardless of how large it becomes. To make it behave more the way a piece of paper might in real life. Rather than having it warp and morph.

Secondly, I wonder if there is a way to drag out that texture and move it around the model before applying it. I know this is possible when dragging an alpha mask, you simply press and hold the space bar to relocate the alpha and then release it in its new location.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciate, so thanks in advance!

Hi @nanomammoth

Spotlight will do the job.

I’ve experimented with spotlight a bit for this purpose because I’d heard it might be the solution, but I wasn’t able to pinpoint how to do what I am describing. Can you be a little more specific in what you’re suggesting? Thanks!

What I meant by using Spotlight is that you can size and place the texture where ever you want like you mentioned being able to do using alphas. However, the problem is still going to be that if you are going to paint it on, then the texture will still bleed and try to wrap if it’s bigger than the mesh. This will be the same whether you use the method that you described and tried or using Spotlight. It will still have a tendency to wrap around the mesh. The only way around this is to temporarily hide the parts of the mesh that you don’t want to be affected. Then you won’t have to worry about the texture being painted where you don’t want it to be. The most precise method would be to have good UV’s and texture placement. This is usually how it is done. This way, poly count is not as important as it is when you want to paint the textures on which requires a high poly count. If you haven’t dealt with UV’s very much, and don’t want to go that route, then hiding parts of the mesh you don’t want affected will probably be the way to go. This is only my opinion and maybe somebody else can chime in here that has a better method that they use. Hope that helps.