ZBrushCentral

BPR not rendering the SSS RenderPass

I’ve been making a texture for hair cards, but when I render to get the BPR Passes, for some reason the SSS pass is not being created, even though I have SSS enabled in both Render Properties and Light Properties.

I did manage to get a SSS pass in a earlier version, but since I changed the fibers it’s of no use anymore, and it seemed that it worked after I tweaked a bit on the Light and Render settings, but nothing that I tried is working now.

Hi @MiguelSantosAN

I’m sorry you’re having some trouble here, but I can’t replicate your issue. SSS map for Demo Soldier in Lightbox generates without problem, as does any combination of fibermesh I tried.

Off the top of my head I cant think of what the problem may be from limited information, and nothing jumps out at me in the screenshot, but custom rendering environments in ZPR files often contain far too many variables to troubleshoot effectively from a second hand description. If nobody else chimes in here with a better idea, I suggest a basic troubleshooting strategy.

Close your problem file, and restart the program with a fresh session. Select the Demo-Soldier and render it with a SSS map active, just to verify you know how to do that. Save out your tool from your problem file as a tool (Tool > Save As as opposed to File >Sace As). This will save your active tool only, and purge it of any potentially problematic scene settings in the ZPR file. Load the tool (Tool > Load) into a fresh session (not the problem file!). See if it works there.

If it does, then the issue is likely a scene setting in your ZPR file. Recreate the scene with mindfulness at each step, until you figure out what is breaking it. If it doesn’t work in the fresh session either, then the issue is probably with the tool itself. Recreate the tool or an approximation of it, to see at what point your process is breaking it.

1 Like

I tried loading the tool in a fresh session, but it didn’t work. However I tried loading it in the Demo Soldier project and managed to get the SSS map that way.

Thanks for the help!