ZBrushCentral

Big Apple

I’m currently working on a Heavyweight Boxer. Still in progress here, so will post updates as i go. Could use some feedback though, if anyone is interested?

bigapple17a.jpg

-Andrew Klein

Looking quite nice there, slorpthegillman. From the post there.it seems the arm’s a tad short (Not sure though). hmmm can you also post the reference you used? So I can also check against that. Other than the proportion thing I think you are doing quite fine. Look forward to your next update. :slight_smile:

I think thats a good catch SolidSnakexxx. Here is an Ortho look at the character:
bigapple_22c.jpg

If you count for the fact that his fingers are curled up in the glove, when rotated down, they still don’t come midway to the knee as they should. That will be fixed in the next revision.

As to concept, well, he is cobbled together from about 30 ref images I found online, so there isn’t one definitive source to post. Most of that just got extrapolated from my head directly into Maya and Zbrush.

his forearm does seem short. i’m just looking at where the thumb of the glove is and imaging the placement of the hand. it seems like the forearm might be short. it might just look like it, but something doesn’t feel right about the arm. but it is looking amazing overall

Thanks BillyT. I was retouching the length today. Will post more within the next two days. The feedback is VERY appreciated!

Made some big proportional changes, mostly to the length of the forearms and lower legs. Also, started the boots. Thanks for all of the crits so far. Still open for more if you’ve got 'em.

Here’s the a look at the new body proportions:

bigapple17a.jpg

Attachments

bigapple_shoes.jpg

I think this is definitely better. So far so good… :cool: Now I’m not sure about the upper leg…his seem to be so cylindrical. Especially in the back view. What do you think?

damn he’s one muscular fat guy. his legs seem a little on the thick side but all in all he seems to be coming together nicely.

The muscle form on the legs look abit wierd especially the back of the leg. Maybe too defined.

I think you need to look at so anatomy references. It depends on whtehr hes meant to be a characture or real life character.

Nice work. I like the style you have given him. One thing I would suggest is that his silhouette is very straight. If you look at him from the front there’s almost a straight line going from his armpit to his ankle. Where as from the side he has some curvature. Other than that, very good :+1:

Thank you all for the comments and crits so far. I guess I should explain my “style idea” for him, since it seems to be coming up. One of the things that I was hoping to attempt on this character was a more “flattened” style with sharper creasing that what I normally do. Here’s a guy (wouldn’t call him fat outright, he’s certainly got a fair bit of muscle), who I would call barrel-chested. I wanted to get some harder angles on him, especially in the face. The nose and forehead are, I think, a good example of the style I was looking for on him. Here is an image showing areas which I think are working in the style that I would really like for him:

head_cu.jpg

Thank you all again, and if you feel I haven’t gone far enough, or if I’ve taken a bad direction, please let me know.

One last thing in mind, I think his body feeling very vertical from the armpit to ankle will be taken well care of once I get him into his boxing pose. Gonna try out the subtool and transpose master plugins for mac for the first time!

-andrew

Attachments

bbleg.jpg

legs_cu.jpg

legs_cu_b.jpg

He’s gotten into some posing now.

Here’s the pose:

bigapple_30.jpg

Attachments

bigapple_30_cu.jpg

Back to Maya…

Here’s a look at the normal map with UV layout, and a look a the base mesh with normal map applied:

bigapple03_posedwire.jpg

Attachments

bigapple_norm.jpg

Good update… I like the pose too…but not sure whether in that pose his blood should be spilled or not… though :slight_smile:

yeah, I’m iffy on it too. I was looking at lots of images of late round boxers, and it seems like they are always spitting something by the end. If you notice, I’ve taken the blood out by the maya render.

The left hand needs to be closer to the face he would easily be counted in that pose. I would try tucking his chin into his body.

Plus i think oyu need to decide whtehrs hes throwing a straight punch or a hook at the the moment hes inbetween.

Very nice updates! He’s looking a lot better posed. I agree his left hand needs to come up. I’m not sure he would be spitting blood unless he was taking a hit.

heres my montage of reference images (see thumbnail). Some have hand up, some don’t. I was mostly looking at dude in upper right. I think I am going to remove the mouth blood.

Attachments

111boxingposes.jpg