ZBrushCentral

Benchmarking in Zbrush

I get pretty much the same result as you in 2018, about 10% performance loss.

Yeah, I also have a significant performance loss. Any words from the devs about this? Can this be fixed in a future release?

Windows 10
Single Xeon @ 2.10GHz
128 GB RAM

Single Thread Timer = 3.413010
Multi Thread Timer = 0.542999

Multithreading performance = 628%

Multithreading IS recommended for this system.

@eFROSTDouble xeon - Multithreading

build a new workstation and it looks like Zbrush doesn’t work with double CPU’s (Xeon e5 v4) ? or is it just me ?
loads only one of them and I get 50% load in the task manager on heavy loads
Max threads I can set in preferences is 40 as well

I have the quite same result as you, but single Xeon.

@eFROST
We just encountered something like this with another user who had an incredible number of cores. He set ZBrush to use a max of 16 cores per CPU and said it then worked like a champ.

I cant confirm this, because the Max Threads in ZBrush come back to 32 even if you store your settings at Max Threads 16

i7 7700k 5.0ghz + 16GB DDR4 3200mhz

Single Thread Timer= 1.785
Multi Thread Timer= 0.575
Multithreading performance= 310%

“I think the issue comes from the fact that AMD is prioritizing core count over per-core performance. Intel’s individual cores are some 20-30% faster than AMD’s similarly priced chip cores depending on workload, and not everything in most programs is or can be made fully multi-threaded and thus can be held up by too slow of single-core performance, so finding that right balance between single-core performance and core count is important and I think Intel has it right for most content creator workloads, since for highly-parallel workloads, using the GPU is much more preferable, we need the CPU to process those long serial operations.” -Invertex

Please refer to page 214 in the following PDF: http://www.agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf

From the linked compiler optimization guide:

The throughput of each core in the Ryzen is higher than on any previous AMD or Intel x86processor, except for 256-bit vector instructions. Loops that fit into the µop cache can havea throughput of five instructions or six µops per clock cycle. Code that does not fit into theµop cache can have a throughput of four instructions or six µops or approximately 16 bytesof code per clock cycle, whichever is smaller. The 16 bytes fetch rate is a likely bottleneckfor CPU intensive code with large loops…

…The very high throughput of the Ryzen core places an extra burden on the programmer andthe compiler if you want optimal performance.

Based on the fact that a Ryzen core has more instruction level parallelism and can execute more instructions per clock cycle than anything from Intel at this time, and does indeed demonstrate higher throughput per cycle than Intel cores in workloads that have been compiled with Zen architecture optimizations, I must dispute your claims that AMD is prioritizing core count over core performance. On the contrary, a Ryzen 7 CPU has significantly more execution resources than an i7-8700K.

The “gap” in performance in Zbrush, is almost certainly related to a lack of programming and compiling optimizations for the Ryzen architecture in Zrbush.

i7 920 @ 4.3 GHz
(overclocked quad core)

ddddddddddddddddddddddd.jpg

9% performance loss

2018 seems to be less fluid for me and others as seen on this thread
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?212075-Notes-and-observations-on-peformance-issues-in-ZBrush-2018

(Whoops! I already posted in this thread a page back…dang old brain!)

( I edited my post , the multy thread was 0.31) @ 4.3ghz

@ stock I get
2.1 single
0.34 multy

so is about th same as the threadripper

your i9 wins vs the TR, but i’d like to see what score an Overclocked TR would get.

@Aurick

CPU influences how smoothly you interact with the mesh as you are sculpting. So the better your CPU, the better your sculpting experience will be as you increase the polygon count. Here, more cores is typically better than faster core speed. An easy way to compare processors is to take the speed and multiply it by the number of cores. Doing this for each CPU will give you a value that you can compare. That with the highest score, wins. This means that a 6 core CPU at 2.5 GHz would have a score of 15 while a 4 core CPU at 3 GHz would only have a score of 12. The former edges out the latter even though each core is slower.

how is it that an i9 has a better score over the TR? Would a better process to compare cpu’s be with multithread timing or with your method? does it matter on low multithread timings when its a hundredth of a unit such as .31 vs .36

in my eyes AMD perform not very impressive maybe because Zbrush benchmark very depend on throughput of RAM. As i know in such benchmarks as WinRAR or 7-zip on the same amount of cores and cpu and ram frequency intel perform better because archiving process require work with big amount of data and depend on RAM speed , so as I understand amd have problems with L3 latency and throughput of Ram. So I suppose maybe Zbrush also require high speed of ram , so maybe overclocking of the ram in Amd system will considerably influence Zbrush performance :roll_eyes: Do anybody try benchmark on different Ram frequency or may be single - dual or quad chanell ram modes ???

Ryzen 7 2700x Stock , 32g Ram 8g*4 3600, Win 10
Single - 2.4
Multy - 0.5

I made few testes with different amount of memory and frequency, with my ryzen 2700x in stock , I have gskill 3600mg set of 4 *8g ,
single channel 8g
2133 - multy - 2.3 single -0.82
3600 - multy - 2.3 single -0.77
double channel 16g
2133 - multy - 2.3 single -0.6
3600 - multy - 2.3 single -0.54
double channel 32g
3600 - multy - 2.3 single -0.5

So difference is considerable!

Single: 13.485
Multi: 13.375999
AMD Atholon XP 2400+ (~2.0ghz)
1GB DDR PC2100

I made few testes with different amount of memory and frequency, with my ryzen 2700x in stock , I have gskill 3600mg set of 4 *8g ,
single channel 8g
2133 - multy - 2.3 single -0.82
3600 - multy - 2.3 single -0.77
double channel 16g
3600 - multy - 2.3 single -0.54
double channel 32g
3600 - multy - 2.3 single -0.5

its interesting how not much difference there is between 16gb and 32gb

Yes it because Ryzen is dual channel memory and amount not that important, Interesting to try difference between dual/quadro on the treadripper

I7 - 7820x and 4x8g 3600 Mh
Stock
Single - 2
multy - 0.45
overclocked 4.9G
Single - 1.9
multy - 0.39

Single: 2.634
Multi: 0.725
Multithread perfomance = 363%
Intel i7- 7700hq (@2.8ghz, turbo 3.8@)
Ram 16GB 2400 mhz DDR4
Nvidia 1050ti 4GB

great for a laptop, I guess? anyone have an 8th gen like 8750 to compare?

Has anyone been able to figure out how to test multithreading in Zbrush 2018.1, or has this functionality been taken out for some reason in the latest version? It seems like they’ve made some changes to multithreading optimization (quoted below as well), but I haven’t been able to find any mention of the Test Multithreading button (especially since it seems like Pixologic’s own documentation hasn’t been updated for 2018.1).

In ZBrush 2018.1 the MultiThreading Optimizer & High/Low Priority button options have been removed from the Preferences > Performance Palette. These options are not longer needed as ZBrush will now automatically optimize priority and Multithreading.

As per the official's recommendations below mentioned specs let you run Zbrush smoothly.
 Processor: Core i5 or Core i7 processor (Zbrush primarily relies on CPU; you need to buy a
powerful CPU to get smoother 3d modeling and sculpting).

 RAM: Get 8GB if you are a beginner, recommended RAM size is 16GB. CPU intensive tasks
demand high RAM sizes, in our case, working with multi-million poly models we need to get
16GB RAM.

 Storage: Get 100GB Free space. SSD storages are recommended. You need to get along 512GB
SSD storage to witness smooth handling of Zbrush modeling, sculpting, and rendering.

 Graphics card: Although Zbrush is not a GPU dependent application you have to use other 3d
modeling software such as 3Ds Max, Fusion 360, and many others. To get a smoother 3d
modeling experience, you have to get a good laptop with a graphics card. Moreover, laptops
with Good graphics cards aides in playing the latest gaming titles.

 Get at least GTX 1060 Ti graphics, I would recommend though 1660 TI.
 OS: 64-Bit version of Windows 7 or latest (Vista, 8, 10)

H2 Laptops Hardware requirements for Zbrush (MacOS):

 Processor: Core i5 or core i7 processor or latest M1 chip 8-core processor
 RAM: Get 8GB if you are a beginner, recommended RAM size is 16GB.
 Storage: Get 100GB Free space. SSD storages are recommended. Get 512GB SSD storage.
 Graphics card: Get at least GTX 1060 Ti graphics, I would recommend though 1660 TI.
 OS: Mac OSX: 10.10 or above.
Which processor is best for Zbrush?
Zbrush is a CPU-intensive application; consumes the single cores the best. But you have to get a multi-
core processor working on multi-million polygenes and complex 3d modeling and sculpting work. It is
hard to tell which processor is the best, as with higher the cores in a processor, drops the single-core
frequency or speed.
As per the expert’s suggestions, higher scores are always better though they consume more power. You
need to get the latest gen core i7 processor. Try to get a powerhouse processor as besides running
Zbrush you must be running many other designing and modeling apps or programs in the background.
This guide is taken from LaptopNetworks blog