ZBrushCentral

Any general advices for a beginner?

hi! i’m totally new to digital sculpting, and i am learning as i make this object inspired by archaic heads. it’s my first model ever and each step of the process is a chance for me to learn new concepts and experiment when i get there, sort of.
it’s not finished yet, i’ve been making it for a couple of days and probably tomorrow will start to finalize it, making texture, color, lighting work and all the last bits prior to rendering.
ok, so… i got to 9204480 polys and i can’t seem to divide any further, i have already changed the numbers in the preferences>mem menu, but when i go to dived the mesh poly count zbrush just keep loading and crashes. i will use this object as an instagram AR filter, probably.
my questions are:
is 9200000 a good poly count for an AR asset?
should i divide this mesh further?
how can i smooth all these little waves” that can nee sen all over the mode?
do you have any tips, suggestions or advices for me?
some of these questions might sound silly, but as i said, every concept and step of digital sculpting is new for me… thank you :blush:
image image image

Hi @arturferreira Welcome to ZBrush Central.

Knowing ZBrush has a learning curve and if you want to take advantage of all that it has to offer, it’s a good idea to start at the beginning.

1 Like

Do as @zber2 said. That’s where I started and it was time well spent.

As for not being able to subdivide further, maybe you’ve hit your limit, defined by the memory in your system. Each subdivision increases polycount by 4 so 9M bcomes 36M. Max per subtool is 100M if oyu’ve got enough ram.

The “waves” look like you’ve stretched your polygons. You can see the edges. So mesh density is too low in those areas. One way to redistribute is to ZRemesh and Project the details back onto a new mesh. Then successively subdivide and project until you capture your finest detail. You should then have decent topology in the wavy areas and you can continue to refine as required. History Projection makes it even easier these days. Michael Pavlovich covers that in the link provided by @zber2.

From one noob to another, don’t get too caught up in polycount. It’s just a number. What’s important is whether the polys you are using capture the detail you want for the purpose of the sculpt. You’ll spend a lot of time sculpting, zoomed in and getting into the detail. Make sure the take some time to pause, set the object to a size that is might appear to the audience and see if the message you’re trying the convey is there. If so then who needs more polys. Everything looks rough when viewed through a microscope but few people ever look at things that way.

Anyway nice sculpt. You have some skill. Have fun.

2 Likes

Hi arturferreira,

beside the excellent tutorials from Michael Pavlovich there are many many many other ZBrush beginning tutorials out there in the wide wide wide internet.

I like the ZBrush tutorials and hints from FlippedNormals.
Here is one for beginners (with the 4R8 release)

Sure, it doesn’t contain the new ZBrush features after the ZR8 version but it’s very helpful for the general sculpting process :wink:

CU and have a great day

1 Like

thank you so much!! :slight_smile: this helped me a lot, i’ll do as you said and try to fix those edges! (also thanks for putting the correct term)
will also visualize the object in the final size! that will be very helpful too!