ZBrushCentral

Ace ventura

Hi guys just wanting to get some feedback on my ace ventura sculpt, trying to get him as realistic as possible, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Ace1.jpg

Ace2.jpg

You first need to study some anatomy
https://www.google.com/search?q=human+skull&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=AKclVaXoOMKLsAGm-4HgDQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=952&bih=475

Ok, you asked for feedback. I am all about posting only positive comments here; mainly because people pour their souls into projects; personal and work related. But if someone asks the feedback, ill give them accurate feedback, with the goal of making them stronger. So…

The Good

• The pores and asymmetry of the small details, good to see that step carefully understood. Many artist will make perfect proportional faces with beautiful features, but miss this step when hyper-detailing.

• Hes got a top row of teeth, a tongue and has been mouth-bagged. Personally, I neglect this step way too often, and a model that can be so much better expressively gets limited without a mouth bag. Good to see that you implemented that well.

• He has expression, a wild expression, very telling of how Mr. Carey behaves

• The eyelids and their details are executed at a good level, many artist have a tough time with these areas, but you have a good foundation on display with this model

• You got a step right very well when it came to the ears in relation to the jaw, ending just before the ears, many beginning artist make the mistake of placing the ears over the jaw or too far way from where the jaw ends.

The Bad

• If you were going for realism, the proportions are dramatically difficult to believe. Here are some things to take a 2nd look at: - The size and placement of the eyes - The shape of his head - The size of the face in relation to the head - the size of his chin in relation to the width of his jaw - The brow shape is not masculine; despite Mr. Carey’s various expressions, he has a extremely masculine face loaded with chiseled shapes - the ears are flush to the head which is extremely uncommon on people - The jawline from the profile view is uncommonly high

Some tips from what I have learned from other artist and publications:

• Facial anatomy studies are a must. Even stylisted artist and characture artist typically use generalized and visually acceptable proportions. When you see a pixar style bust or face, it is essentially the required planes of the skull/head polished polished out. Those planes must be there, the proportions can sway but there are ratios that follow natural laws that add appeal to figure/bust art.

• Anatomy study is lifelong, do not ever be swayed by the depth of the subject, as one door leads to another and so forth.

• Never give up! Keep on pushing!

• When it comes to books on the subject, my advice is to initially pick up books that simplify shapes and generalize forms, like for example anything related to comic book or illustrative figure studies. This is because when you are beginning, you can be overloaded or overwhelmed by medical breakdowns… this can disrupt focus. As you master the basics then you will ask more questions that demand more detailed explanations, where a anatomy for classical artist or medial anatomy would be the next step.

• Scott Spencer - ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy ; This is a really good read, buy and read this book! She is one of the best instructors on zbrush ever and a fantastic dimensional artist. Also a good instructive author.

• Ryan Kingslien - Realist Game Characters ; The first half of this book details getting solid proportions from a sphere primitive, I love this book and his philosophy about art (also check out his lecture about facial anatomy on youtube)

• If you get really serious, buy a cheap Halloween decoration skull (as long as it is not stylized), or a model of a skull to use as quick reference by your desk.

• After you block in the basic planes of the face from the sphere with rough proportions, my advice (debatable or preference) is to immediately switch to “perspective mode” making sure your Draw -> angle of perspective is default (50). When I was starting I would sculpt a face in orthographic view then turn on Perspective when i felt i was done then would be shocked. Save some time and do this step early.

Hope this helps and puts you on a path toward bliss. Reason I wrote a little essay is because one of my favorite things in life is to see someone attempt to make a face in 3D. The face is my favorite bit of form in existence and when I see students and clay sculptors attempt the face or attempt likeness, it means they want to become serious about their art. To give them the nudge they desire is for-filling. To see them achieve their level of desire in art is akin to enlightenment.