ZBrushCentral

55joe sketch thread

awesomesauce

thanks straighthighways!
thanks locusta!
zerocartin thanks, it was easy i just unwrapped the cylinders and made an alpha X pattern and imported it into zbrush then applied mask as alpha then used the deformation> inflate tool and it worked perfect ~
thanks max-tx!
thank you meletis~
thanks moga~!
and as always thank you dman3d !

started a new char over break, this guy is made from a dynamesh sphere. going to sci fi him up next and give him a more realistic face

Attachments

8.jpg

9.jpg

That mechanical insect head thing looks great. Reminds me of the movie “The Fly.”

the insect mechanical head is great. your inspiration in this project is vitaly bulgarov, right? congrats

I was just over at Gnomon’s website kicking around and noticed a strong resemblance to Vitaly Bulgarov’s design myself. Had to come back and check it out again. Definitely looks to be the inspiration, although, I do like the differences in this design.

thanks Derek Frenzo and Danilo Athayde!, yes vitaly bulgarov was a large part of the inspiration for this

here is updated anatomy guy, all from dynamesh sphere
anatomy2z.jpg

Attachments

anatomy1zz.jpg

really nice sculpt considering you started with a sphere;)!!

thanks polo2011!

here is an update of this new guy, also experimenting with shader mixing and lights in zbrush.

Attachments

r5.jpg

Like the style! :+1:

That’s a great sculpt… I like the harder edge style you’ve employed (squarish fingers, toes, clearly defined creases), which is a bit different than my own style. :wink:

I do have some minor criticisms regarding the actual anatomy if you like - I may be new to ZBrush and to sculpting the human form, but I know bodybuilding, and others have been so instrumental in critiquing my own anatomy wip that I woudn’t feel good about not offering my two cents for whatever it’s worth.

OK, I have a few comments, so I’ll bullet point them:

• To me, the feet seem unusually big. If that’s what you were going for, then you did an awesome job. Personally, IMO, I think they should be about 1/2" shorter or so.
  • You have defined the lattissimus dorsi and the rear deltoids pretty well, which would suggest to me that the area where the teres group and the infraspinatus should show the same level of definition - in other words, those two muscles groups should appear distinct.
  • Given the clearly low body fat (in that you can see the serratus anterior, which only shows in the extremely lean) I would expect to see striations in all three heads of the deltoid muscle, and in both heads of the pectoral muscles.
  • Your legs show well developed quadriceps vastus (both the lateralis and medialis), and leanness that allows the gracilis to be visible, which is consistent with the rest of his physique, but there’s barely a hint of a line showing rectus femoris (the one in the front). The volume for it is there, but no clear definition, and that’s not consistent with the level of body fat you’re implying with the rest of the sculpt.
  • The forearms shows very little definition. The overall form of the forearm seems appropriate for Joe coach potato, but for a guy with a clearly well developed physique (not monstrous, but well built) and good sized hands, I would expect to see the other muscles in the forearm, like the various extensor muscles. Bigger hands imply a stronger forearm since the forearm muscles are responsible for grip. That’s why you see powerlifters always having really well developed forearms. They have impressive grip strength, as they need it to deadlift 500+ lbs! BTW - I’m not suggesting that you make the forearms larger - only that you show more definition and highlight the other forearm muscles to be consistent with his clearly low body fat levels and implied grip strength.
  • The triceps are only showing two heads - there are three. If this weren’t an “anatomy guy” I’d probably not even mention it. Most people might not even notice at all.
  • The biceps appear to be the right overall size, but yours seem to taper a bit towards the inside of the elbow - the biceps tend to remain the same thickness most of the way down the arm - I’ve never seen a tapering like that in RL.
  • I can’t make out the Soleus at all. (That’s the calf muscle that is under the gastrocnemius, always visible in a well defined physique as it gives width to the calf.)
  • The back of the knees are perfect. I have been struggling with mine, and yours has helped me spot where I went wrong with it. (I went in too deeply) so thanks for that ;)
  • The face has a lot of character, I really like it!
  • I really like the way you handled the crease between the internal obliques and the legs - perfection.
  • His ears seem a touch big - BUT I think I prefer it that way as I think it broadens out the rest of his head in a pleasing way. (Kind of the “Will Smith Effect” if you will :wink: )
  • The crease lines around the underside of the butt is well thought out. I had trouble with that one two. Coming from a “fat man” background in my own physique (no longer), I hadn’t had a lot of experience in knowing how that should look so I struggled with it. You handled that quite nicely.
  • Any other criticisms would be far too nitpicky, as one must make room for genetic variation, right? :D.
All in all, that’s a really great sculpt. I like it alot. I hope my list is helpful - again, others have been so helpful to me (being a first timer) I just really valued their critique enough to want to pass the favor along. :slight_smile:

OH, and the ant-ish mech guy a couple pages back is PHENOMINAL. Really nice work.

thank you asecbrush and robb! i will have to go to some anatomy dictionary to decipher your crits robb ha ;p
here is an update

Attachments

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

n4.jpg

your style is bold but your sculpt keeps a nice fleshy quality .
good stuff :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

thank you pygmalion !!
here is an update

r11.jpg

There’s nice anathomy here!

By the way…i think i can see Swacheneger’s jaw and bottom part of the face :slight_smile:

This is an example of how easy is to make a critic and give advices, but not being able at all to apply such knowledge to your own work. Its very clear that you want to help, and pass de favor back, but please dude, improve your work and get more experience, knowing the name of every single muscle and bone in human body doesnt qualify you to tell others what to do. I just dont understand how you want to help when you dont even know how to do it properly man XD

joe55: That mech-masked guy looks awsome, great design and work in the hard surface parts :slight_smile: And the anatomy studies are nice too, keep up the good work :+1:

thank you pescao!!
@ f roldan thanks for your compliments:) ~ his heart is in the right place tho :slight_smile: