ZBrushCentral

Zsketch book

I really like what this head transformed into. ZB3 is one of those awesome programs where you can just casually model from a sphere into something great. Even if it doesn’t start out the way you want. As, long as you stick with it and don’t get discouraged a lot of those weak models can turn into something amazing, just as long as you don’t completely screw up the topology.

Good job. Are you modeling a body for this guy?

Hey, very very nice! My only crit would be that the back of the head isnt as nicely defined as the front, looking a little blobby and soft compared to the face.

Hadn’t thought about modeling a body, but now that you mention it…

Some black armour would be cool, or I don’t know… Maybe something incorporating some large wings, like that guy from Underworld 2.

Any suggestions?

Good point, I see what you mean.

Started playing around with polypaint on these…

Please critique if you think of some way to make it better.

Tips, tricks, general rules etc… I want to know and understand this better.

The middle shot has some color correction in PS.

Some very strong work in this thread! The last thread the textures could be more varied and the colored areas could be more intense. I like to use the vein alpha to build up layers of low opacity colors for nice blending. I forget which member I learned this from, but it may be based on reall life make up effects painting. Also use the colorizer spray for apply the alpha to get various shades of color. I found this very useful for breaking up flat colors that appear on the model.

That’s great info, thanks I’ll have to try that out.

I’ll look up some make up art tutorials too.

If you know any links on this, please post.

I’d really appreciate it.

One suggestion I would make, is to bring up the lips and the chin. There should not be that much of a gap between the bottom of the nose and top of lip. It should look better after you adjust it.

Some work on Lee’s back. I’m using the sketchy method now. I find it to be much faster than trying to keep everything smooth from the get go.

zsketch-08.jpg

Attachments

zsketch-09.jpg

Its cool to see people have fun with a couple of models. Nice stuff you have here. keep em coming.

cheers

Brett

Quick sketch of the next model I’ll be working on.

A Lycan

Lycan.jpg

Cool stuff Gabe. I really like the bat man. You should do a Timelapse movie going from zSphere to final sculpt.

Great modeling…like the sketch of the wolf thingy!

I got the base mesh done in 3Ds. max, took me around 2.5 hours.

I may do a timelapse on this one.

The thing floating next to the mesh will become his teeth.

I’ll edit the proportions in Zbrush when I get to sculpting. His arms look too long.

I’ll try and get this to match the sketch, pose and all.

lycanbase.jpg

Attachments

Lycanimageplane.jpg

Some progress on this guy, so far about an hour of work.

I’m making a timelapse for this.

Looks great so far, dude. Mind sharing the base mesh? I’m having trouble setting up a base mesh of my own, so I could use a little reference, especially with the fingers, and the fingers on your creature look splendid.

I like to make a rough block in in max, then tweak and smooth it out in ZB.

I give the base mesh enough geometry, so it doesn’t loose too much shape when I smooth it in ZB. A lot of parts stay pretty much already modeled, like the fingers.

Here is the base mesh and a quick tutorial.

(edit)

http://home.comcast.net/~gabe687/Lycan.rar

Well, I just lost about an hours worth of smoothing, tweaking and the entire time-lapse up to this point! :mad:

Zbrush tends to crash on me when I switch the UI from simple to standard.

I forgot about that and I hadn’t saved for a while.

I wish Zbrush had an autoback up feature, or allowed you to save when the program crashed like you can in 3Dmax.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. :frowning: ZBrush does tend to crash on us for no apparent reason sometime. As a workaround I used a plugin that adds a “Save+” button to the Tool pallete that will save differently named versions of the tool you’re working on, so you can save lots of times and very quickly, since you don’t have to type up the file name on every save. But you probably use this already since you’re a pro anyway… :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, the zip file you provided has no OBJ file. :stuck_out_tongue: There’s the .JPG tutorial and a .MTL file, but nothing else. :frowning: