ZBrushCentral

ZBrushCore Texture mapping

I am considering buying ZBrushCore, but the feature list says that it doesn’t support texture mapping. Mostly I will want to import OBJ files, sometimes with existing texture maps, modify the meshes (connect surfaces into solids as well as do the normal zbrush-type editing to reshape the models) and also repaint the model. I’ll then need to export as OBJ files with texture maps. Will ZBrushCore allow me to do this?

ZBrushCore will retain the model’s UV mapping, so you can certainly do whatever sculpting you would like and it will still have the same mapping when you export the model again. But there is no way to make a map with it – texture, normal or displacement.

To get difference maps (displacement/normal) you can export the highest level from ZBrushCore as OBJ and then use another application to create the map.

Texture maps are a different story, since any color painting you do in ZBrushCore is going to be PolyPaint, which isn’t included as part of the OBJ format.

vertex color is included in Zbrush’s obj exporting. Just make sure you have polypaint/colorize turned on when you export your obj.

I use this daily for ID map generation.

edit: if it’s in core, idk.

Hi Auric, I had also planned to buy this for my Son so he could begin creating and selling, but mostly creating.

I’ve owned Zbrush* for many years, taken a master class with Ryan Kingslien and I believe the investment would be worth it for Pixologic to create basic UV function (not to organize/transpose, no mirroring etc) because people will ask… how did you create that? Answer: with Zbrush core… after a while when these young students have a strong understanding and want more they will upgrade and get things like the ability to professionally organize their UVs, projection etc etc The choices are either they can be simple artists with UV capability, or Masters with full Zbrush or choose Blender or 3DCoat which offers painting & modeling for less than Core. I know it’s a lifetime perpetual upgrade but I think Pixologic should maybe open up their own marketplace for models as an option for extra income if money is the concern. I wouldn’t of mentioned the other programs unless this was an important consideration to point out. Thanks.

I also wanted to mention that adding Goz would be critical.

There are many Reallusion CC3 character creators that just want to send their rigged models over for sculpting changes then send it back… no UV creation needed. Zbrush Core lacks many “basic” features that make people wonder what is the point… and seem to think it really would only appeal to the 3D Printing industry. To buy something just for the joy of sculpting would more be suited to a $70-$100 price tag but should not be called Zbrush with basic creating features because it doesn’t cover all the basics. Even the Goz bridge shouldn’t be put in the category for basic or full -if you’re using the program for sculpting/modeling you either have basic or full sculpting features. The “fear” of Pixologic not adding these basic* features make it appear as though Pixologic thinks that if they have these other basic (standard) features like UV/texture creation and Goz that people will not want to upgrade to full…far from the truth! Pixologic, that’s the message you’re giving. Anyway regardless you are throwing potential customers away to programs like Blender which will only strengthen them. People are requesting a live link feature in CC3 to Blender and Blender has recently enhanced their UI to make things more user friendly and intuitive. If customers get that then they have a choice, Zbrush or Blender… if they are hobbyists, or just trying to get by then they won’t likely pay for a full Zbrush license and they are less likely to learn/buy into core if it doesn’t give them Goz and a subscription to them would be less practical unless they took a course because using a Full Zbrush would be too overwhelming for them to start when all they needed to start/learn is basic. Anyway just trying to help! I appreciate you all and the progress you made but there is a giant niche you’re missing here. I recommend you visit other website forums like Reallusion, Polycount etc and see for yourself. Lastly if Goz was added and not UV creation but at least texture creation then at least semi professionals/hobbyists can use it to paint and texture with existing UVs from a different program. A full studio is likely to upgrade if they want to use layers for non destructive painting & sculpting as well as all the other features… but after some time of using core, once anyone uses it for a long time and masters that will seek out the upgrade to the Master -full Zbrush…