ZBrushCentral

Zbrush Summit 2015: Artists Recap

Wow, seeing all these is great! I was there for your workshop was well. Nothing to post tho, I basically just watched you guys do your thing and took a lot of notes. I learned a ton. All 4 workshops I took were amazing, but yours was the only one that had a work flow that closely matched mine. I was shocked, because I often think I’m doing things ‘wrong’. I hope you come back next year for more, because I will as well.

Super happy to get the bronze at the ZBrush Summit 2015 Sculpt Off, It was a treat to be working away in the same room with some of my favorite artists and heroes. Thank you Pixologix so much for everything at ZBrush Summit 2015‬. Incredible experience learning from the best of the best.

For the sculpt off, I wanted to polysculpt a mech lion, the C3CIL. Its function would be to track lion hunters and stop them from harming the magnificent creatures on our planet.

Here are some images from my prep process which started out with some quick brush pen sketches:

kermaco---Cecil-The-Lion-brushpen-sketches---ZBrushSummit-Sculpt-Off-2015.jpg

Then an hour session in Photoshop to get ideas on overall look, proportion and composition.

kermaco-Cecil-Photoshop-Sketch-ZBrushSummit-2015---Sculpt-Off.jpg

I did some practice sculpts, and also considered doing an eagle (images to follow this post). At some point I created an alpha mesh, but then decided to go the kitbash route.

kermaco-Cecil-The-Lion-practice-session-1-ZBrushSummit-2015---Sculpt-Off.jpg

kermaco-Cecil-The-Lion-practice-session-2-ZBrushSummit-2015---Sculpt-Off.jpg

Here is a picture of my setup 20 minutes before the sculpt off. I can’t tell you how exhilarating it is to be sitting in the same Gnomon class I learned ZBrush in with some of the biggest heroes I have admired on ZBrush Central and participate in a 3 hour sculpt off.

Attachments

kermaco-Cecil-The-Lion-practice-session-1-ZBrushSummit-2015---Sculpt-Off.jpg

Hi All,

It was such an honor to be a part if this! Everyone did such an amazing job.

finalgrey_krystal_sae_eua.jpg
Here’s a grey ZBrush render.

final_krystal_sae_eua.jpg
Here’s the final result, rendered with Keyshot. Cheers!

Attachments

finalgrey_krystal_sae_eua.jpg

Here is the final render:

Cecil-The-Lion---kermaco-ZBrush-Sculpt-Off-2015_small.jpg

Here is the wireframe:

kermaco-Cecil-The-Lion-wireframe-ZBrushSummit-2015---Sculpt-Off.jpg

I mostly used the ZModeler brush, and kitbash parts from my library and some of Vitaly Bulgarov’s excellent Ultrabog kitbash parts : http://vitalybulgarov.com/3d-kitbash/ultraborg-subd-full-3d-kitbash-library-25off

Thank you Pixologic again for an excellent event, Paul Gaboury saved my life with a last minute hint before the sculpt off started, The lovely Jessica DJ, and Joseph Drust for an incredible play by play. Vitaly for his beatifully designed kitbash parts, and the entire group of artists who I had the pleasure to meet and sit in the same room with. Nothing can describe the magic of standing up after 3 hours and looking at 12 amazing pictures on the monitors around me.

Attachments

kermaco-Cecil-The-Lion-wireframe-ZBrushSummit-2015---Sculpt-Off.jpg

Here are some screen grabs of the eagle I was also considering from a practice session

EagleEyes_03.jpg

EagleEyes_01.jpg

EagleEyes_07.jpg

EagleEyes_10.jpg

EagleEyes_14.jpg

You can see more of them here : http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?196377-ZBrush-Summit-2015-Final-Image-and-images-from-a-practice-session

Thanks for your votes, and even though I got the bronze in the hard surface group, nothing beats sitting in a room with some of the best ZBrush artists in the world and creating art.

Cheers,

Ara
kermaco.com

Man, Such a treat to see everyones work! The fun details in the prep is totally worth waiting to see! It’s like prep, and then POW! 3Hr Clock! GOooo!!!

Hi All,

Here’s a collection of works that we had the pleasure of presenting at the Summit this year. Enjoy!

characterConceptMaster.jpg
Game of War Concept by Majid Esmaeili.

Attachments

characterConceptMaster.jpg

gow_armoredPikeman_screengrab.jpg

gow_immortal_screengrab.jpg

gow_legionnaire_screengrab.jpg

gow_ranger_screengrab.jpg

gow_slinger_screengrab.jpg

gow_swordsman_screengrab.jpg
Game of War Character Models by Krystal Sae Eua, Cory Cosper, and Mike Kash.

Attachments

gow_armoredPikeman_screengrab.jpg

gow_immortal_screengrab.jpg

gow_legionnaire_screengrab.jpg

gow_ranger_screengrab.jpg

gow_slinger_screengrab.jpg

gow_swordsman_screengrab.jpg

hp_soldierA_screengrab.jpg

hp_soldierB_screengrab.jpg

hp_soldierC_screengrab.jpg
Hot Pockets Character Models by Majid Esmaeili and Krystal Sae Eua.

Attachments

hp_soldierA_screengrab.jpg

hp_soldierB_screengrab.jpg

hp_soldierC_screengrab.jpg

originalConcept.jpg
Google: HELP Monster Original Concept.atap_phase01_screengrab.jpgatap_phase02_screengrab.jpgatap_phase03_screengrab.jpgatap_phase04_screengrab.jpgatap_phase05_screengrab.jpg

Attachments

originalConcept.jpg

atap_phase01_screengrab.jpg

atap_phase02_screengrab.jpg

atap_phase03_screengrab.jpg

atap_phase04_screengrab.jpg

atap_phase05_screengrab.jpg

GodulaSkeletonScaleV01.jpg

Google: HELP Monster Model by Majid Esmaeili.

Attachments

GodulaSkeletonScaleV01.jpg

atap_phase05CU_screengrab.jpg

Google: HELP Monster Model by Majid Esmaeili.

Attachments

atap_phase05CU_screengrab.jpg

Yeah I know it ain’t Godzilla but here is the demo model from my intro to ZBbrush workshop at the 2015 ZSummit. Students really seemed to enjoy the class and I managed to win over a few that have been struggling with ZBrush for a while as well as help a few experienced users learn some new tricks. In any case, I rendered these in Octane for Maya:

keller_ZSummit_skull.jpgkeller_ZSummit_skull3.jpgkeller_ZSummit_skull2.jpg

Eric Keller

Here is part of the workshop that ShaneO and I taught. These are snippets of the first half which I taught about character design, and finding the appeal.
MattShaneWorkshop01.jpg
MattShaneWorkshop02.jpg

Attachments

MattShaneWorkshop01.jpg

MattShaneWorkshop02.jpg

What can I say guys? ZBrush Summit 2015 was just mindblowing such as you all man.:slight_smile:
All of your work, talks and sharing knowledge is just super inspiring aswell as motivating.
Was such a pleasure seeing one of your biggest inspiration talking about life, the industry and their amazing works.
Congratulation to you all guys. Was amazing!! After beeing at the Trojan Horse was a Unicorn Festival in Portugal I met already so many amazing artists who also attented at the ZBrush Summit
and I thought after that I could not get enough inspiration from that. One week the ZBrush Summit, which just blew my mind! :slight_smile:

So thank you guys and also for putting up a gathered collection of the awesomess you all produce.

Keep em comin’:+1:

Happy sculpting guys,
Kenny :slight_smile:

Hey guys! so here is a revisited image of the sculpt i did for the sculpt-off.

untitled.19.jpg

the event was amazing and i had alot of fun meeting everyone!

Attachments

untitled.19.jpg

This is the model I did for the sculpt off, thanks again to everyone specially Pixologic for making these amazing events happen.
Made new friends and met some old ones.
A big thank you!

sosa_sculpt_off_keyshot_render.jpg

Attachments

sosa_sculpt_off_keyshot_render.jpg

sweet stuff guys n gals!

awesome work!! Sadpanda,Robotball,Theredbeard,Fred2303

Hey guys, I had a great time participating in the contest this year! Super stressful as the clock ticked away but well worth it. Here was my entry.
I created the concept at work during lunches, the took a couple of lunches to see if I could put it together in 3 hours.
I knew I would have to render very quickly because the sculpt took up the majority of the time if I wanted it to look decent.
The night before I came up with a matcap that looked interesting and had a green cavity fill to look like moss.
I also set up the psd file so i could just replace the layer contents and all my level tweaks would already be there.
All in all the render and color took about 10 minutes to slap together! Here is my concept sketch from work, and the final from the contest day.
Thanks!

pixo_ref.jpgzbrcontest.jpg