ZBrushCentral

ZBrush Scale Fix

Hello - we ran into problems when we would receive ZTL files from outsourcing vendors.

Some ZTLS loaded in at ZBrush 100 scale (for each subtool). Some at 1.

If at 1… all the move tools and brushes were limited to a dime sized non-working brushsize.

So, we needed a way to set all of a ZTL to a scale size (per subtool) of 25 for the brushes to work properly, with the required export size to our game engine.

ZBrush is very tricky with it’s scales, as finding explanations to the way ZBrush looks at scale, has it’s own ‘internal scale’ numbers etc. are very hard to find info on.

The Scale Master I found to be unreliable, as force deform scaling all subtools has bad effects on high level details. Often subtly smoothing or damage those details.

As well the scale master doesn’t easily show, what you really have done to your subtools. Have they compressed down in half? Are they cm to mm 10 times less or more? How do I return to my original scale to match my Maya scene? Not artist friendly this one.

So quick fix - was to first create a subtool sphere. Then change that scale (at the bottom) to 25. Then do not append a ztl, or load a ztl no. That brings in the wrong 1.0 scale.

Instead use Subtool Master. Then use ‘multi - append’ to import your ztl with your selected subtool sphere at 25. Now all subtools come in properly set to 25. So now this new zbrush file has a workable (for brush size) tool… that exports properly still to the right scale in your Maya file.

I think ZBrush should post this fix to make it easier to deal with ztl files from outsourcers that have the wrong scene scale.

Also a feature that just has a type in box… for ‘load ztl’ that sets all incoming subtools to a ZBrush scale value entered by the user…

And an explanation letting artists know. That ZBrush has an ‘internal scale’ that effects the size and effects of your z — brushes. (move tool will not function if the ZBrush scale values are too large or small).