ZBrushCentral

Zbrush, Macbook Pro, iPad Pro

I am considering buying the following for one of my employees, but would like to know people’s opinion about the efficacy of this combination for Zbrush. Also opinions about possible hardware alternatives and/or upgrades would be appreciated.

What is desired is a professional Zbrush platform that is also portable. Cost is only a secondary consideration, although obviously not spending money unnecessarily is good.

Opinions?

Nevin Pratt, CEO
DP Creations, LLC

12.9” iPad Pro, 256gb, Wi-Fi (no cellular) = $1,099
Apple Pencil 2nd gen = $129
Macbook Pro 16”, 2.3ghz 8-core, 4TB storage, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M, 32gb RAM = $4,199
ZBrush - perpetual = $895
Astropad Studio = $80/yr

I’ve been trying to use ZBrush via sidecar, i.e. with the iPadPro. I wasn’t too happy. I mean it works, but I missed the hovering cursor of a Wacom. Also, having a button or two on the Wacom pen is very convenient. You don’t have that on the Apple Pencil.

I found that a Wacom Intuos Pro works great for me in terms of precision and portability. Of course, no screen, but that is just some getting used to, and personal taste.

What does Your employee think about the hardware?

We don’t have all the hardware/software together yet.

BTW, from all I’ve studied, it sounds like Astropad Studio should be used, and NOT sidecar. I guess we’ll see.

Nevin

I’ve spent YEARS pursuing the “I want a portable ZBrush” dream. In the end, if you cannot clarify WHY and HOW you intend on leveraging the portability you seek, it’s going to be a long, costly, AND fruitless journey.

Of the three components you’ve mentioned, you’ll want to clarify the iPad Pro’s role. Intend on deploying it as a Wacom Cintiq replacement on-the-cheap? It’s not there. Is it do-able? Only to the extent you’ll want doctors to perform all future tracheotomies with coffee stirrers.

Apple SideCar AND Astropad do their wireless screen extension by live STREAMING video to the tablet. It HAS to do this at a high frame rate. Given a fixed bandwidth, it means either resolution or FPS will have to suffer. Although SideCar uses better streaming tech (HEVC), both only work in a forced 1366x1024 resolution. Try fitting ZBrush with all its UI splendor into THAT kind of container. It blows. A TON of stuff gets lopped off that will require memorizing ALL the keyboard shortcuts to compensate. Apple Pen(cil) pressure is passable for detailed sculpting, but if you’re spending 80% of this session reaching back over to the MacBook Pro’s keyboard, what’s the point of this exercise?? Why not display ZBrush in the MacBook Pro’s full native 3072x1920 glory if it’s already that close?

If I’ve made my point that Astropad and SideCar make poor Cintiq stand-ins, we look to the genuine Wacom Cintiq right? Not so fast. You stipulated portability. In my own search, I wanted high-res (preferably 4K), moderate screen size (16" target), and a SINGLE USB-C connection (or wireless). NONE of the Cintiqs could deliver. MOST of the models still require a godawful hydra-monstrosity cable solution simultaneously connecting to HDMI, USB, and outlet power. It’s 2020 Wacom. Learn to roll all that into ONE single USB-C cable.

End of day, I reflected on exactly how much I NEEDED the sculpt-on-screen experience. If I’m in front of my MacBook Pros… sculpting on a traditional Wacom Graphics Tablet is PERFECTLY FINE. If your employee melts down claiming they can’t do art without a Cintiq, tell them to go back to kindergarten where we ALL mastered hand-eye coordination. Based on this epiphany I retired an old Wacom Bamboo and upgraded to an Intuos Pro Medium. Since it’s not carrying a video signal, it works solidly in USB wired or Bluetooth wireless mode. I’m irked that Wacom and ZBrush are so damn cozy, but there’s no denying that their pen feel leads the pack.

If Wacom ever releases a Cintiq that hits ALL of my (above) trifecta requirements, I might entertain the idea but for now, the Intuos/MacBookPro combo doesn’t leave me wanting. This pairing remains true to the portability requirement; a solid amount of all-ZBrush work can be done in any space that has a bare table. No outlet needed. Nearly everything is wireless (mouse, earbuds, Intuos) so no cables to trip over.

The next-level strata of barebones sculpting portability reintroduces the iPad Pro. Ever since the first-gen 12.9" iPP, I’ve been wishing/hoping/praying ZBrush would play in this space. Short of that, some third party apps deserve a serious look (ESPECIALLY since they only cost $10-$15). Forger for iOS and Nomad Sculpt are eye-opening entries. You’re not going to get nano meshes, fiber meshes or cloth simulation – BUT these are apps that can absolutely knock out some impressive base meshes over a cramped economy-class dining tray. Once back at the office, AirDrop the OBJ or STL to the MacBook Pro and fire up ZBrush. IOW, the iPad solution lets you shed a lot of the encumbrances and focus on pure sculpting.

Daily Driver

• 2020 16" MacBook Pro, i9 2.4GHz 8-core, 32GB Ram, Radeon 5600 8GB, 2TB
  • 2020 12.9" iPad Pro 512GB LTE (GPS chip)
  • Apple Pencil 2
  • Wacom Intuos Pro Medium

Previous Gear

• 2012 15" retina MacBook Pro, i7 quad 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram
  • 2015 12.9" iPad Pro 128GB
  • Apple Pencil 1
  • Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch
  • Surface Pro 4, i7, 16GB Ram
2 Likes

The iPad Pro isn’t pro, this is clear and it is standing as of 2021 even with an M1 chip in it. The iPad is supposed to provide a “good or better enough” alternative in a lot of use cases. Personnally I don’t feel restrained all that much when I’m using ProCreate or LumaFusion for my own personnal hobbies.

And that is what I would expect from a ZBrush app on iOS. I’m not expecting the full experience nor the full array of tools.
Honestly if the first release of ZBrush on iOS had only the brush tools, subdivide tools and ZRemesher, those would alone beat Sculptris’ offering. It would be enough for hobbyists and for professionnal presentation on a client while still having the ability to quickly sketch out a retake and present it right away. I’d be ready to pay a premium price for such app but that’s just me.

Me too

As an artist who has experience with Zbrush, I can say that the combination you’re considering is quite powerful and should provide a professional and portable Zbrush platform. The 12.9" iPad Pro with Apple Pencil offers a great touch interface for sculpting, while the Macbook Pro 16" provides the necessary processing power for complex projects. ZBrush is a widely used software in the industry, and Astropad Studio allows you to connect the iPad to the Macbook for seamless integration. Overall, this combination should meet the needs of your employee and deliver excellent results.