ZBrushCentral

ZBrush keeps intermittently slowing down making it hard to sculpt

I have been using ZBrush for just under a week now with no problems, but today whilst I’m sculpting there have been huge spikes in lag. I’ve just had to stop sculpting for 10 seconds or so until it stops. It’s getting really annoying.

I’ve closed ZBrush and opened it again. Started new sculpts all of which are quite low poly and everything has been so smooth throughout the week up till this point. Anyone have any ideas how I can fix this or even what’s causing it?

Hi @CamnJB

Without much more information (what are you doing in the program, what else is running in the background, systems specs, tablet drivers, platform, etc), we can only offer vague suggestions.

• As always, be sure to be running the most up to date version of zbrush before reporting issues. You could be missing out on important fixes or performance optimizations.

• Be sure that Zbrush is not running afoul of any antivirus you have running. It’s usually worth whitelisting Zbrush in those apps, and disabling them altogether during installtion or upgrade procedures.

• Tablet drivers are another common culprit for weird performance issues.

• Dynamic Subdivision trips people up sometimes. It is possible to accidentally engage this mode, which will add significant performance burden when sculpting, especially on denser meshes.

• Zbrush is a very resource intensive program. It requires the full attention of your CPU for certain operations, and uses quite a bit of memory. You should really be at or above the recommended specs for best performance. Don’t make Zbrush compete with a lot of background processes like streaming media, especially through a browser.

• Be sure to peruse some of the common issues, to see if any of the performance related ones might be applicable to you.

The community forums will be of limited use helping you diagnose overly technical issues with your installation and hardware. These types of issues should be directed to Pixologic Support.

Good luck!