ZBrushCentral

Zbrush 5.0 optimized for WINE?

ZBrush 2018 with Wine 3.5 seems to have cured the startup slowness for me. Starts up right away.

Still can’t get Wacom pressure working properly. Even before it fails from opening/saving, the pressure seems to stutter sometimes. Also getting some nasty screen tearing with 2018, which I couldn’t figure out.

I go screen tearing at my win 10 - while resizing window and not often with dropped mesh onto canvas, while 2nd is in edit mode.

I think it’s Ryzen processor. This thing won’t appear on my 2nd pc with win 7 and I7 cpu.

Some other comments about wine? Do you use if daily? I would love to try this out but got too much commission work and can’t play with linux right now and got my two licences active…

I won’t use it daily on linux until the wacom works properly.

I have a hackintosh that I use as a secondary machine for zbrush and adobe suite. ZBrush screen tears there too, but both Mac and Linux are much more responsive than the terrible input lag with windows.

THat wacom thing made upset :wink: Well, I will try it on my own anyway. Found guy on youtube that runs ZB 2018 at Mint and Play on Linux.
Gotta try it too.

So i have got Zbrush 2018 to at least run on Linux Mint 18.3 with Wine 3.6, but I can’t get rid of the black canvas with lines through it. I have heard people say stuff about vcomp and comp90 override but not sure if i am doing it right. And does the windows 7 or 10 matter in this instance? I am new to Linux and I don’t want to have to go back to windows just for Zbrush. Can someone help provide a new linux friendly step by step to get rid of the black canvas with lines. Thanks for any help.

Drazzar

No worries Drazzer! Let me see if I can help you out. :slight_smile:

If you’re not using Playonlinux (or alternative) I would recommend that instead of just installing straight to a default Wine prefix. It’s some advanced and fumbly territory if you’re not very experienced yet and Playonlinux does a great job of keeping things simple.

I’ve got my installation for Zbrush 2018 set using Wine 3.5 64-bit (but I wouldn’t imagine 3.6 to be a problem). In the Wine Config, it’s set to Windows 7, which hasn’t given me any troubles. I’ll post a screen of my config below:

WineConfig.png

A page that has helped me with this can be found here

Hopefully these hints get you going without those nasty black lines!

Well, I tried using PlayonLinux using Wine 3.5 with windows 7 but it still comes up exactly the same. I just installed Linux so is there anything else I need to install for this to work. Here is a screenshot.
zbrush_error.png
as you can see when i try to add anything to the canvas I can only see lines of it. Also one of my files, msvcr90, didn’t have an asterisk next to it like in the other screenshot. Thanks for any advice.

Update: Nevermind, I actually got it to work finally. I tried reinstalling all the components to make sure I didn’t miss one and it worked. I don’t remember installing vcrun2008 the first time. But thanks for all the help. Hope they come out with an official Linux version still. In the meantime happy Zbrushing everyone.

Awesome that you found that. Before seeing the note, I was wondering if some component had been overlooked somewhere.

Take care!

Zbrush hidpi support is still lacking, they have some TEENY icons here and there and they really need to fix it. I will just make a dedicated zbrush user, and have my laptop start in a lower res when that user logs on, and move my zbrush install to that user.

That said, using wine 3.17, startup performance is better and you need to tweak and install fewer things.

Installed wine 3.17

Installed winetricks

winetricks vcrun2010 vcrun2008 corefonts win10

Then I used wine to run the installer. And then use wine to run zbrush. It all seems to run great so far, though there might be another lib or so needed for zremesher. The basics work though.

Fast boot, fast sculpting, fast speed. WEEE!

Also, you can disable ‘emulate a desktop’ in wine, as zbrush startup is now just fine on wine.

Tried wine under CentOS7 but some quick tests failed.

However, qemu with -kvm will run Windows Server 2012 or another version of Windows. A wacom tablet can be passed through also (used a somewhat older version that installs without the device). Got it fully functional running 15M polys without lag.

A secondary mouse can be useful when the tablet is passed through when needing to quickly do something in the host.

+1 for Linux version. For my needs it works better as an OS (tablet just works, no issues with forced updates).

In a meantime I’ve managed to get the demo running - I’m testing the waters before I’ll try to mess with a PC in my workshop.
Has anyone noticed a bit of tearing (or something closer to frame being one step behind) on Nvidia card? Not sure the problem shows on Radeons / Intel as well (don’t have Radeon card at home to test). It’s minot but noticeable on my end (and I’m a bit picky on this matter as I’ve experienced similar thing in MoI which prevented for me its use on Linux - but it’s worse there).

Initially the maximize / minimize button in the UI didn’t maximize to full screen , but after tweaking window decoration settings it started to work.

Other than that - performance in initial test is super. Everything extremely smooth and enjoyable , Dynamesh / Zremesher / Sculptris Pro work out of the box.

Here anybody tried to run Zbrush in linux via docker ??

Nowadays most of the apps are cross platform, plus microsoft also participating in linux foundation. No idea why software company like Adobe, Pixologic are stuck in windows ****.

Most of the VFX studio having pipeline on top of linux, Some of them are using Zbrush on separate windows box under compulsion and some are using Mudbox because it’s easy to integrate in linux pipeline.

@ ruchitbhatt : out of curiosity - why would you like to run it through Docker? I guess it is doable, but setting up graphics through Docker was a pain last time I’ve checked and you’ll still need translation layer like WINE. So essentially you would run WINE inside Docker.
For most use cases , if you need some sort of sandboxing, I think something like Zbrush/Wine combo packaged as Flatpak would make more sense IMO.

Hello.
The z run really fine. But my times in zremesh for example is lower to 20% with respect to windows times.
How do I solve it?
Apparently the cores are charging 15% of their potential!
Thanks
My sistem is ryzen 1920x nvidia 1060 and 32gb ram, run ubuntu 18.04.2

atm I’m in the middle of documenting of all the little issues encountered while using ZB under WINE.
For the most part it works fine as many have mentioned, but for example decimation often gets stuck during pre-process (it says it is calculating, but in reality you don’t see any load on the cores), sometimes you can’t delete subtool (it starts working after app restart), sometimes FBX export fails.
Would be awesome to see fixes for those as we would get a super smooth experience without Pixologic committing to working on native build (which would be even more awesome, but I fear less likely).

If I turn off 8 of the 12 cores that the CPU has, the performance supposedly used is 50%.
This is very strange.
Captura de pantalla de 2019-03-23 11-54-37.jpg

Hi, I came here to create an account to give thanks to the people that posted the guide to make it work through wine, and answer that teary bug many people have.

I know that pixologic does not provide office support, that is a shame, but we linux users are like golden nuggets in the internet. Those who just left alone the “Zbrush is not supported on Linux” seems so unprofessional, they should erase their post, they don’t support in anything.

To the question about the tearing screen, it is very simple:

1 - the issue here is the vcrun2008, don’t install it with winetricks. For some reason Zbrush installer asks for that one and the vcrun2010. The fact here is that vcrun2010 reinstalls and repairs itself.

2.- You can install gdiplus by winetricks; however, I removed from the library section on winecfg, that worked for me.

I’m using Wine 5, Fedora 31
Captura%20de%20pantalla%20-2020-02-05%2023-37-34|1200x667

Has anybody got pressure working with wacom…

I have pressure working in ZBrush 2020.1.4 with Wine 5.13 (Staging). Make sure “Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen window” option is disabled in winecfg Graphics tab (if it is enabled, pressure sensitivity will not work).

This is how I installed ZBrush with Wine: I set Windows version in winecfg to Windows 8 and executed the following command to install some necessary packages:

winetricks corefonts vb6run vcrun6 wsh57 vcrun2010 vcrun2008 vcrun2012 vcrun2013 vcrun2015 vcrun2019 dxvk

If pressure sensitivity still does not work after these steps, then consider reporting a bug to Wine developers with wintab32 log (run wine with WINEDEBUG=+wintab32 in terminal, try to use your tablet, close ZBrush and save the output to file).

For me, ZBrush works almost perfectly in Linux. Please note that I cannot claim that I tested everything, since there are many features that I do not use or use rarely.

Only issues I have noticed are some screen tearing (but this may be not Wine issue, since users on supported OSes occasionally mention it too) and sometimes thumbnails and labels are invisible in LightBox if there are too many items (it is still possible to select and open them). I rarery use LightBox and often thumbnails work as expected in it, so it is minor issue.