ZBrushCentral

Zbrush 5.0 optimized for WINE?

@Chris

I think it has more to do with money and energy investment rather than being completely impossible. Linux community is very small compared to other platforms and porting whole application natively to Linux may be expensive.

The community has already been trying to convince devs for a native port for a long time without any luck. So it starts to look like that we will never get a native port…

IMO OP knows that, so he tries at least convince them to make it work under wine which is a less expensive option.
Nothing was confirmed from Pixologic.

Zbrush for Linux please!

I am not even on Linux yet, but I will install it today!

I read here and there that V-Ray render 10% faster on Linux. Houdini interface is faster and it also renders 10% faster. Blender renders 2 times faster! But it cost 2 times more to render on Amazon windows machine than Linux. So you are potentially 2 times richer and have 2 times more times on Linux than windows!

For those who don’t know Linux is free!

So why are we paying more to render slower?

for sure we can have our render farm on Linux and a dual boot workstation just for Zbrush… But would be so much better with zbrush on Linux!

some links:

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/21855/

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?397423-Old-war-Windows-VS-Linux-(see-my-little-speed-comparison)-)

These days I run Zbrush in a Windows VM. The performance is quite OK since Zbrush mostly relies on CPU performance. Pass through your Wacom tablet and you’re off to the races.

I’d still prefer to run it natively, though, since I’ve only allocated half of my RAM to the Windows VM. Wine almost works well, except that in some cases with high-poly models a brush will sometimes lag for a second and part of the stroke will be a straight line with maximum pressure. I haven’t seen it happen while running in Windows.

My vote for linux. I abandoned OSX a few years ago, nice boxes but not for cg people imho. All win 10 users: :lol: good luck!. In October 2017 MS is planning another shi*** update. I drive with 8.1 but I plan a switch to linux. VMware sounds quite nice but it is only a half-solution. I like zbrush stability and I will not install my license through winehq. It will be killing myself.

Just wanna say 4R8 works under wine 2.10 as well though startup is a tad slow.

But yeah, its frustrating. There are solutions to avoid the whole “Linux is a fragmented ecosystem” spiel

https://snapcraft.io/docs/core/

To just building a statically linked executable.

Appimages are great, and support piecemeal updates…

Looks like I need to update the Wine ZBRUSH page with some instructions. Currently listed as ‘garbage’.

Just applied to be Super Maintainer for ZBrush under Wine

At the very least they could approach CodeWeavers for help in making Zbrush run better under wine.

Can you tell us more about your setup specifically Crusoe? What distro are you running on? Through wine directly or PlayOnLinux? What windows version, etc.

I can’t get it to run in any WINE 2.x version, even some of the later 1.9.x version, the viewport just shows black with some sketchy lines through it and I can’t see what I’m doing.

Currently running 4R8 P1 on OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 through PlayOnLinux, wine 1.9.1

BUT, I can’t get rid of the damn pressure sensitivity bug in 4r7 or 4r8. If you open a system file dialog (import, save, export) with the tablet, wacom pressure breaks until you restart. Other system dialogs, like warnings, don’t seem to care if you touch it with a tablet.

I have tested everything and can’t get past this. Using a mouse to handle those dialogs works but is annoying as I use a wacom pen for everything, and it’s easy to forget.

I’ve done some debugging of wintab32 (the tablet service), and it seems that the pressure is still being detected by it after opening those file dialogs, but the packet queue is overflowing and the packets aren’t being delivered to ZBrush correctly. Not sure if I should submit a bug report for WINE or what to do.

Thoughts?

If you save using the mouse you will still have pressure…
So it seems to be a combination with saving a file and using the wacom at the same time.
Interesting about the debugging of wintab32. How did you do that specifically? Not having ZBrush on Linux is a big enough pain to waste/sink some time into fixing it…

I’m aware clicking those file dialogs with the mouse works, and it’s what I’ve currently been doing.

For debugging wintab through PlayOnLinux, I’ve got debug flags set to “+wintab32”, and when running ZBrush with the POL debug mode you get an output window, as well as output to the terminal if you launch POL from command line.

As you move the stylus around wintab32 spams these as output:

trace:wintab32:motion_event Received tablet motion event (0x10054); device id 11, cursor num 1
trace:wintab32:TABLET_WindowProc Incoming Message 0x7ff0 (0x00001cb9, 0x00010054)
trace:wintab32:AddPacketToContextQueue Trying Queue 0xc00 (0x10054 0x10054)
trace:wintab32: DUMPPACKET pkContext: 0xc00 pkStatus: 0x0 pkTime : 0x3cfe4f pkChanged: 0x0 pkSerialNumber: 0x1cb9 pkCursor : 1 pkButtons: 2 pkX: 6571 pkY: 6070 pkZ: 0 pkNormalPressure: 1336 pkTangentPressure: 0 pkOrientation: (819,580,0) pkRotation: (0,0,0)
trace:wintab32:AddPacketToContextQueue Placed in queue 0xc00 index 0
trace:wintab32:AddPacketToContextQueue Done (0xa4b3070)
trace:wintab32:TABLET_PostTabletMessage Posting message 7ff0 to 0x10054
trace:wintab32:WTPacket (0xc00, 7353, 0x22efd0)
trace:wintab32:TABLET_FindPacket 1 … 0
trace:wintab32:TABLET_CopyPacketData Packet Bits {PK_CURSOR PK_BUTTONS PK_X PK_Y PK_NORMAL_PRESSURE }
trace:wintab32:WTPacket Returning 1

That is before using the stylus on the file dialogs. In bold you can see reported pressure, and the packets being handled properly.

Once you click one of the system dialogs it overflows, but still detects pressure:

trace:wintab32:motion_event Received tablet motion event (0x10054); device id 11, cursor num 1
trace:wintab32:TABLET_WindowProc Incoming Message 0x7ff0 (0x000097a6, 0x00010054)
trace:wintab32:AddPacketToContextQueue Trying Queue 0xc00 (0x10054 0x10054)
trace:wintab32: DUMPPACKET pkContext: 0xc00 pkStatus: 0x0 pkTime : 0x43a0e4 pkChanged: 0x0 pkSerialNumber: 0x97a6 pkCursor : 1 pkButtons: 2 pkX: 6616 pkY: 6037 pkZ: 0 pkNormalPressure: 1435 pkTangentPressure: 0 pkOrientation: (686,655,0) pkRotation: (0,0,0)
trace:wintab32:AddPacketToContextQueue Queue Overflow 0xc00
trace:wintab32:AddPacketToContextQueue Done (0xa4b3070)
trace:wintab32:TABLET_PostTabletMessage Posting message 7ff0 to 0x10054
trace:wintab32:WTPacket (0xc00, 38822, 0x22efd0)
trace:wintab32:TABLET_FindPacket 10 … -1
trace:wintab32:WTPacket Returning 0

Apologies for the emojis, doesn’t seem this forum has code tags.

I also tried to run zbrush 4r8 on ubuntu with playonlinux with a 2.15 wine version. Unfortunately, it didn’t run properly until I read the post of /dev/null in page 1. I just change settings for windows 10 and it works too (except for most images in the lightbox and like others the startup is a bit slow).

So it will be really great if we can have a linux version of zbrush.

Thanks to this thread I was able to get Zbrush running on Mint 18.2 with PlayonLinux + wine ver. 1.91 (64). It takes about 40-50 seconds to launch, but everything works.

I got a scare Monday when I found out ccleaner was being bundled with malware. So I’m glad to FINALLY be rid of Windows.

I also get the Wacom (Bamboo CTL-470) loss of pressure when opening the file manager with the stylus like poLLos, but I can live with it.

That’s what I thought. Thank you all for your helpful comments. Got sizzling hot deluxe slot com working! Hope it’ll be fine.

Did you get rid of your sketchy line issue? I think I’m having the same problem.
Screenshot from 2017-12-04 10-06-16.png

Attachments

Screenshot from 2017-12-04 10-06-16.png

Sorry I’ve been remiss in posting information. I don’t think I’ve experienced the “Save dialog breaks wacom pressure till restarted”. Hmm, or maybe I have. I remember something getting ‘stuck’ and then unsticking it but I can’t remember what the problem was. I’ll try digging into it more.

As for being slow to start, even under windows I found 4r8 to be slower starting though not as slow as wine. I’ve tried digging into looking into working on wine, but its an old-school c code base with some gnarly build requirements. A lot of the slowness to is the client-server arch, which no one really uses.

• Crusoe

Hello bro, z works fine! the open times its good 1minute. you set wine in 1920 x 1080 and emulate desktop.:+1:

Attachments

But you can’t use goz for houdini I guess?

Import, dynamesh, zremesh, multimapexport plugin (textures and objects), enjoy!
GOZ is the least important here friend.
regards:+1:

Yes if at least zbrush works I can switch to linux! Anyway GoZ is not even working in windows for me with max 2018.

What hardware and wine config are you guys using that it’s working in Wine 2.0+? Decided to start fiddling with this again now that we have Wine 3.0

Are you guys running it through wine directly or playonlinux?

Windows Version?
Overriden Libraries?
Emulate Desktop?
WIne Version?
32 or 64bit windows install?

I’m still getting that black viewport issue like in petelang’s screenshot in anything later than wine 2 :confused:

Update:

Fixed the black screen and got it up and running in WIne 3.0-rc6. Running on latest Antergos (Arch), I noticed some missing libs when installing:

ntlm_auth version errors - required installing samba
and two missing module errors - install lib32-mpg123 and lib32-gnutls

While the install ran fine without those, I installed them anyway just to be sure, but the black screen bug was still there. However there was a ton of output about vcomp unsupported something something, So I randomly decided to test overriding vcomp library to (native, builtin), and the black screen is solved!

That’s the only override I’m using, and everything is working well other than that damn tablet pressure bug. Tested working:

• zremesher
  • dynamesh
  • multi map exporter
  • uv master
  • decimation master
  • spotlight
  • quicksave
  • movies/turntables
  • bpr
  • lightbox! - no longer buggy but i’m not sure that it’s entirely showing everything - there’s nothing under demo projects.

For the tablet pressure, I’ve tried overriding wintab32 to native as well (even though it is NOT recommended for that lib), and it’s the same issue from before/with builtin - queue overflow after opening a file dialog. If somebody can help with a solution for that we will have a fully functional zbrush under wine!

I was looking to find ZBrush 4r8 for Linux as well. Many 3D apps today have a Linux version. When I look at the ZBrush store I was surprised that is not supported :cry:.

pressure is working on my end. im using HUION 1060plus.
im using the digimend package, with my device using “wacom” as driver.

also overriding comp90.dll for that blacklines error.