ZBrushCentral

***** ZBrush 3.12 - for Mac OS X - Available Now *****

good question. anyone know? i bet 3.5 will blow that roof off if not…

I recently watched your box modeling zb vids, and that was the thing that kept messing up the workflow, not being able to tell the damn directions! It would be nice to have the two coordinates on the floor labeled, but I’m sure it’ll be easier to tell at least.

Okay you plug-in makers, how long before we can get image plane on zbrush 3.12/mac?

:slight_smile:

The worse here is that the preview bloody spoiled complaining guys have got their upgrade and keep complaining but now for something else.
This is definiteley not fair.
Why not get rid of those bothering people !!!

More pictures, more pictures! come on guys you’re killing us :smiley:

• What do PUV tiles look like?
  • How does the multiple textures per tool work?
  • How many more polys can you handle over 3.1?
  • What do the AO masking/maps look like?
  • How does the new navigation feel? Is it like Maya?

I think all the horror stories (which there weren’t really THAT many to begin with, it’s just that compared to Tiger, Leopard wasn’t fully baked when it came out) were in the past. We’re up to 10.5.5 now and I think you’ll notice all the complaints have died down. Personally I find Leopard no less stable now than Tiger was, on a quad core Mac Pro, a current gen Macbook Pro, a previous gen Macbook pro, and a core duo Mac Mini.

It’s not Windows Vista, guys.
:lol:

Pigumon,

You should get back to OS 9 !!!

Hey mate, Leopard is a very good OS … from a long time ago !!!

I run a Mac Pro
2x2.66 GHz dual-core intel Xeon
5 GB ram, 667 MHz ddr2 FB-DIMM

I was running xp Pro (with bootcamp) on this machine and got up to 2 million polygons (per subtool) and zbrush 3.1 ran really smooth. I never liked going over 2 million because undo would slow down.

Now with zbrush 3.12 I have 14 million polygons (I think on the rhino) with about the same undo speed as a 2 million through bootcamp.

Perspective has more options, the floor grid has lots of modifiers, Tool, texture has changed, and there are more subpalettes in that location. When you are using the transpose line and change subtools, the line does not vanish. It stays. Thats great because you can then keep moving/rotating the next subtool without slowing down. There is SUPER scaling - where you can have a demo soldier the size of an atom next to the demosoldier full size, and you can hit the F key and you will frame the tiny one, and can sculpt on it as if its the only thing in the world space. When you start to scale away you will suddenly see the other demo soldier the size of a planet come into view. Lots of things.

I haven’t done any polypainting yet, but I have used retopology and such and everything seems to be working smoothly. I am sure there will be a tiny glitch here and there, but I haven’t found any yet.

Thanks John,

So far i can tell two new features.
Check the “merge visible” and “weld” on the Subtool palette.
It seems they added a bit of the subtool master into the prog then…

I can’t see any need for a floor plane rather than confusing and disturbing the modeling, but, well, that’s me.

what about painting? Do you feel anything diferent?

Thanks again for the screens. Have fun with your prog.

btw, nice t-rex

Hey Brandon, dind’t know you use a mac :slight_smile:

• what options? any multiple image plane feature?
  • can you try those and tell us what changed? I’m looking for texturing painting rather than polypainting.
  • anything like transpose master incorporated to the prog?
  • is the PA Distance slider real time? like, you move it and see the changes happening? I miss some real time interaction in all sliders of zbrush :frowning:

Thanks
Fabricio

scottaw- Yeah I have noticed the complaints dying down, that’s why I’ve only now begun to consider upgrading… Zbrush pushes me even further toward it… but it’s funny you mention Vista as that’s what people were comparing all the problems of 10.5 to… good to hear though that you have it running on a Core2Duo Mac Mini which is what I’m on now.

M i c h e l- Back to OS 9? Do you really consider 10.4 no different than 9 or 10.5 so much better? Come on, just because I don’t jump when Apple tells me to and actually make a cautious, informed decision to wait until all the BUGS that should not have been there in the first place are ironed out, does not mean I don’t want the most current OS.

Apple themselves admitted it by announcing SNOW Leopard, the “beta tested”, stable version of Leopard. :rage: :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I guess I’ll be upgrading as soon as I get my ZB3 download email!

I haven’t touched ZBrush for several years now, so I remember approximately nothing about how to make things anymore. Let’s see, there were these things called pixols, right? :smiley:

Off to Veoh to check out the cannedmushroom tutorials… :+1:

I will say this Pigumon, when I bought Photoshop cs3, i saw on the Adobe website it was only compatible with Leopard. Mine was crashing all the time so I upgraded. Then, with the first version of Leopard, i was having trouble with apps crashing or freezing from time to time, particularly Photoshop, Painter X, and Screenflow.

NOW, and I certainly hope I don’t jinx myself, nothing ever, and I mean EVER freezes or crashes! Even with multiple apps running. Between Leopard and software updates, I’m smooth as silk with a Mac Pro quad, 2.66 GHz, and 2 measly gigs. I can’t wait until it’s up to 8. I’d say the problems have been ironed out long ago man.

james, I myself just upgraded from 2gb to 8gb.

its a WORLD of difference

without even taking into consideration using 3d apps, just the interface in itself is a very noticeable improvement.

firefox loads websites instantaneously, application windows pop open at my command, very few freeze ups (none so far), and everything is 100x better.

Makes me want to hurry up and upgrade to 16!

be sure to check macsales.com, they dropped the price on the memory and it is very cheap right now, it has went down 60 dollars in a month (the 16gb kit, and as such, roughly half that for the 8, then 4, etc, etc)

Yeah, even though Leopard had its share of issues (I didn’t experience any personally), it was/is a different beast than Vista. Leopard is very stable and compatible.

I was kind of peeved when I first heard that Snow Leopard will be a “stability” release, but from what I’ve read, it’s a LOT more than that, in terms of making multithreading/GPU power available to all apps and OS services. Can’t wait for ZBrush on Leopard now, and in the future; as long as it doesn’t meat years of waiting.

With perspective the default seems to be a world space perspective, meaning that if you face the rhino ztl (in this mode of perspective) and drag/move him to the top left (your left) corner of the canvas he will skew a little as if he is looking up and to your left. If you hit the ‘f’ key (fit him in the center) he will look as perspective has always looked to zbrush. You can select an option to place the camera at the object center rather than the world space center to get back to the way zbrush 3.1 works. That way you can snapshot and move sections around the canvas before you export the .psd for a client - so your model is NOT looking up and to the left for instance.

The floor you can turn off and on and change the grid size and amount of grid squares, and change the color.

PA slider is not real time, I just played with it. You can slide, then click PA, then undo, slide, hit PA, undo, all instantly, until you have the projection you like.

I see in different spots where the great plugins have been incorporated. Merge visible (in the subtools area). I have a strong feeling subtool master ‘FILL’ is merged into the polypaint subpalette under TOOL - but I’m not too familiar with painting, so I can’t answer those questions.

Also, ZIntesity has changed, now the slider goes from -100 to 100. If you are using the standard brush at 10, your zadd button is highlighted. When you begin to slide to the left and pass 0, the the highlight auto-changes to the zsub button, thats kinda neat.

Also, you CAN bring all of your 3.1 ztools into this version, but you can’t take 3.12 ztools into the earlier version 3.1. Thats normal.

I don’t see anything right off like that transpose master.
But I thought I read a post around here that 3.5 is coming out 4th quarter for pc AND mac, and that will likely have a bunch of improvements/additions as well. But I’m just going from memory and I could be wrong. If I’m right that would be incredible.

PS, about windows vs mac … issues with leopard? I’ve never had a problem with it, and I can’t believe all that apple gives you when you buy it, I mean iphoto, its simple mail, itunes/itunes store, imovie, garage band. I mean, microsoft gives you a stage and you have to go elsewhere to get the programs, but apple gives you all the simple stuff you need in life. iphoto is so great, its an all in one package. Thats all besides the under lying architecture. iweb is monkey see monkey do, drag and drop to make a website, well I just love it.

Hey Brandon,

Thanks for answering

wow, that’s a great improve on the perpective then… one more question regarding this: If you hide part of the mesh, does it affect the perspective as the older zbrush does, or is it a fixed perspective as every other program in the world? :slight_smile:

Regarding painting, it’s easy. Load a model with uvs, then load any image as a texture, try painting over the image and see if works, if it paints over the image. If not, then we have nothing new and we’re stucked to polypainting (which is cool, but i’d like to paint on textures as well, without going zapplink or projection master)

And you’re right about the 3.5. For what i read, it’s going to be released for both platforms on the same time. This 3.12 is just a pavement for mac users until the release of 3.5 , I suppose.

[QUOTE=Fabricio Torres]Hey Brandon,

Thanks for answering

wow, that’s a great improve on the perpective then… one more question regarding this: If you hide part of the mesh, does it affect the perspective as the older zbrush does, or is it a fixed perspective as every other program in the world? :slight_smile:

It is now FIXED. There is no more ‘popping’ when you hide a subtool. Its awesome.

About the painting thing, I thought you could always do that, I mean with projection master. Layout UVs, and paint on them, then ‘pick up’ and turn the model, ‘drop’ and paint.

finally!!!

;D

what absolutely s@#$

most painting programs DOES work with drop/paint/pick, but they do that on the fly. Let’s take Body Paint as an example, everytime i rotate/zoom/pan the model it “picks”. When i start painting it “drops”… all automatically, without you noticing. To press G everytime is a pain.

if only they add a better set of texturing painting…