ZBrushCentral

ZBrush 3.0 Collection: Indecom4000

My background is in electronic entertainment. All aspects of games design, art, writing, mechanics, everything. I have been programming as a hobby for about 8 years and wanted to take a step towards the ultimate project with Id as my learning tool.

I actually am in the middle of testing out a low res version right now, if it turns out alright i will post a pic. I may end up redesigning it tho. I dont like the look of the chest area, or the legs and arms. I had no reference to go from and improvised the whole thing in my head, no sketches, so. Yeah, it wont be too hard for me to make a better one with some good sketches and reference.

what engine are you using for the graphics? torque?

dark basic pro. i love the ease of use, and it has all the functions i would need to complete this project.

Okay, so i have decided that i will not use this one in the game because it just looks odd to me. So i am instead going to sell it on exchange3d.com relatively cheap, and brush up some more on my anatomy, then do another one.

Hope no one minds.
I will however, post some shots of the ingame version of this same model later when i get the normal maps done, probably make some textures for it to though, just to increase my revenue and practise.

A realtime render using a temporary ps 1.3 shader, more advanced shaders will be used in the final product.

Id_commando_realtime1.JPG

took a break from the fat man to work on the bruiser i described earlier. Here are a few shots of him. I will put this up for sale on exchange3d.com without the texture for now, but the upgrade will be free.

Crits please.

Ps, i will also redo the eyes too.

destroyer2.JPG

Attachments

destroyer3.JPG

destroyer.JPG

I love the fat man, but I’m not really feeling this last head.

I don’t know what your concept is, but I can tell you what I think by just looking at it.

Something just bothers me when I look at it.

I’d try working on the anatomy some more, detailing the lips, maybe add some ears or holes or something. I don’t like the lumps on his chin. It looks too lumpy in that area.

I would change the nose too, it looks like he has no bone or cartilage there.

keep at it :+1:

that first model of the face is soo cool. like somethin outa the game Fable.

okay, thanks for the crits. I think i will go ahead and detail the lips some more. And as for the ears, i am not the best at it just yet. But i do need my practice. The nose should not be too hard for me to fix up.

Thanks for the crits and the comments, i take them to heart.

I made a Zscript of an ear just now, see if it helps. I posted it in my Zsketch thread.

http://zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=366462&posted=1#post366462

thanks for that GabeM, i will take a good look at that and see if i cant do any better.

Here is the progress and improvements done on the head so far. I have added eyes and lids that still need retooling, almost there though. The chin has been delumpified, over all the crispness of some features have been bettered. he now has a nose ridge, and lips. He no longer looks like a really beefed up Robin Williams, but more like Marv from Sin City. Just need to fix up the eyes and add the ears, perhaps hair and eyebrows.

Crits anyone?

destroyer4.JPG

Attachments

destroyer5.JPG

destroyer6.JPG

My general critique for the last one is to try to nail the overal form first, before getting so detailed in the sculpting. For example you have a vein on the side of the head and tons and tiny little wrinkles, but the overall form still looks like it could use some work (in my opinion - big flat chin, not much of a skull above his forehead…).

You’re still making all the tiny little details symmetrical… which create some really distracting mirrored shapes where they meet up in the middle.

He still needs some ears and nostrils, but it’s nice to see he has some eyes instead of holes. :slight_smile:

Also, the material on there right now doesn’t really do anything for the presentation… it’s very… plain.

Well, i am still learning the process. I am constantly going back and altering the shape. the way i see it, if i post something like this that has some things out of place, you tell me, then i learn to avoid certain things like this in the future. Much of what you see mirrored was from before, and will be smoothed out by the time i finish this piece.

Okay, for my progress, i have improved the lids, although it was hard to do so because i have 6 resolution levels in regular geometry instead of doing the last in HD, which is what i should have done. I have altered the chin and shape of the face in general, slightly not greatly. I will go ahead and add more skull too, then some ears once i get my practice in.

With regard to the chosen material, i only use this one so it shows off the details better, so you can critique it better. The final product will have a much more improved and fancy material.

destroyer7.JPG

Attachments

destroyer8.JPG

destroyer9.JPG

I did a quick paint over to show a few suggestions. Basically some adjustments to the anatomy.

If you aren’t already, I would find some pictures of people and get some ideas off that. check the anatomy.

Do you have a sketch you are working from or something we can take a look at?

It might be a good idea for you to just do some major changes real quick on this model. Sketch out some ideas real fast, sculpt and don’t worry about making it look perfect.

destroyer8.jpg

Well, the design so far has immagrated a lot from the original sketch, and i was mostly doing it from my head anyways.

Thanks for the paint over, it definately gives me some ideas. It kind of reminds me of the lord of darkness from the movie legend. I will surely do some major altering tonight.

Thanks for the help.

What would you recommend me to do for anatomy? Because it seems to me that good reference for the type of characters i have done is going to be hard to find.

Okay, took that advice and did some reworking, major reworking. Tell me what you think of these.

Also, I think that it may be wise for me to erase the higher subdiv levels and start reworking them from here, do you agree?

destroyer10.JPG

Attachments

destroyer11.JPG

destroyer12.JPG

Hey, that’s looking better. Nice progress.

Yeah, you don’t really need high subdivisions until you really get into the nitty gritty details. Since you’re still working on form, I think you’ve got enough polys to work with right there. :slight_smile:

Nice material change, too.

I might increase the thickness of the nostrils a little bit and widen the back of the head so he has more skull back there. The main part of the skull is essentially a sphere that’s been flattened a bit on the sides… and has a face and jaw growing out of the front of it. :wink:
I like the mouth. I might just add a little bit more space between the top of the lip and the bottom of the nose… right now, there’s very little room to breathe… literally. :wink: But that’s nitpicky.

Hell yeah, nice update!

Now it’s looking more believable and like a cool head. :+1:

I would give the nose a bit of a hump to show the bridge and the cartilage on the tip.

Just to get rid of that unnaturally flat look. Same for the chin, it’s looking a little too flat. I would raise the lower part of the back of the skull. Align it more with the bottom of the nose. The lips could use a little more meat.

keep at it man, it’s looking much better.

Okay, good. I am glad that I am on the right track. I dont think it would be too much work to get those things in, it will surely be easier to work from this resolution than to have that 1.5 mil eating my processor while i try to sculpt in between all the memory compressions.