ZBrushCentral

Zbrush 2019.1 2019.2 and Threadripper 1950x 100% CPU lag and freeze

hello, I have a question, updating zbrush to version 2019.1 and 2019.2 I have many problems with my Amd 1950x threadripper, if I configure 32 threads on “performance menu”, when I zoom or when I move the object quickly, the cpu has peaks at 100 % and windows 10 freezes for 10-15 seconds, after these seconds, the system returns to normal.
I tried to compact the ram (set to 4096) and delete the history cache, but nothing works.
this problem is not inherent in how many polygons the model has, it does so with 100 polygons or with 20 million polygons. (especially with zmodeler working with very few polygons)
I use a custom interface and several times the buttons disappear from the menus (could it be this?) I tried to initialize zbrush, but the problem is always there.

The only solution that allows me to work is to set the cpu to 16 threads, the lag sometimes comes back, but obviously I lose performance, with zbrush2018 I never had these problems.

Am I alone or is someone else experiencing these problems?

My Rig
Amd Threadripper 1950X
32 gb ddr4 - quad channel
3 monitors. 2 2k monitor and a xp pen artist 22e pro HD
windows 10

1 Like

Hi there,

We’ve had occasional reports of this nature with Threadripper CPU’s. After careful investigation we have learned that 100% of the time it has been a problem with the CPU overheating. It could be that your heat sink isn’t up to the task, the thermal paste isn’t properly applied, or even that the case itself doesn’t promote adequate cooling.

Regardless, once you have resolved the CPU temperature problem you should have no further issues with ZBrush.

thanks for the reply, but unfortunately it is not blocked due to too much heat, is use an AIO water cooling… in idle 30 ° and when I render for hours the temperature is constant at 50-52 ° (celsius) max temp on 1950x is 68 °, I noticed that it stops because all the cores have a 100% peak for 2-3 seconds but the temperature does not rise at all. (cpu standard 3.4-3.7 ghz)
For example if while working with zbrush, I watch a video on youtube, in those seconds, the video, audio, mouse stop or go slow and then everything comes back in order after 5 seconds.
I will try to format windows, but it seems strange to me because this problem only happens with the latest updates from zbrush

maybe my answer won’t throw anything to discussion, but if also youtube and other things freeze…it looks like something wrong with your computer rig. Disk at least SSD ? because it looks to me like your computer is bottlenecking. To mouch data probably from processor cannot be transmitted to the rest of the computer - just saying how it looks in simple words.

had similar thing before ssd and with old graphic card where substance painter was saying that my GPU have a low response value or smth like that ^^

you have quad channel / dual channel in bios turned on ? sometimes it’s not alwas work as it supposed and sometimes it’s better to turn it off.

obviously the pc freezes only when I use zbrush and I do certain things like zooming, when I close zbrush the pc returns to be the usual beast :slight_smile:

uhmmm, I have 1950x - 1080Ti evga FT3 and 3 ssd samsung 500gb for OS and softwares (bought 5 months ago) and 2 hd 2tb … the pc works perfectly with any program (I use adobe suite 2019, cinema 4d R19 and zbrush every day)

the problem in my case is just new versions of zbrush… today I delete everything, format windows 10 and reinstall everything … cross my fingers :slight_smile:

ok, I formatted windows, for now everything is perfect!!! sorry if I wasted your time.

Tomii :slight_smile: