ZBrushCentral

Z4 Beta Testing By: Yiannis Tyropolis

Hi Yiannis

Awesome workflow!

did you start with the SSS Demo Soldier Material, or did you create the SSS Shader from scratch? I’m not understanding how to get SSS into a material without starting with the Demo Soldier Material.

I’d like a break down of how one would start from scratch to create a material with SSS.

Thank You

brian

great character :+1:

i like the way you handle the pants and shirt ! the feeling of the fabric is awesome ! thanks for the passes breakdown !

i will make a try on one of my own character and i hope i understood everything :smiley:

Fantastic work & tutos!!, congratulations and thank you very much, a great example of new Z4 render posibilities, thanks.:+1:

Did you make specific materials to get the flat shade, only back sss, front sssm, reflection, rim lights?

awesome, thanks man! crasy toshop layers hehe

keridan - Thank you very much for your kind words!
Derek Frenzo - you 're welcome
ZanCyborg - Thank you very much!
womball - Yes, but I tuned the basic materials, I explain the materias I used in earlier post.
invertedNormal - no, I did not started with the SSS soldier material. A way to setup an sss material :

a) select the Quadshaders material. This would be your multishader (similar to s shading network in "major apps". It has 4 slots that you can copy paste materials in Material/Modifiers palette <!--[attach=211020]SSSShader_02.jpg[/attach]--> b) select the BasicMaterial, and copySH it. c) select the Quadshaders material and PasteSH it. d) select the FresnelOverlay material and copySH it. e) select the Quadshaders material and PasteSH it. f) select the second slot of your Quadshader in Material/Modifiers/S2 and put settings like that (in this example I'm using only the outer additive) and select a red bright color as the Outer additive color. <!--[attach=211021]SSSShader_03.jpg[/attach]--> g) Select the S2 slot and the in the Materials/Shader Mixer/SSS slider adjusting the value more than one, or less than one, enables SSS for the S2 slot. <!--[attach=211022]SSSShader_04.jpg[/attach]--> h) In the Materials/Shader Mixer/ Blendmode dropdown menu select Screen mode or Lighten. <!--[attach=211023]SSSShader_05.jpg[/attach]--> i) enable Front if you want a Front Scatterring effect. j) In the Lights palette enable SSS in one of the lights, The 8th light(right bottom corner) is ok for Backscattering. k) In the Render palette enable SSS. And you have SSS! Some general tips: You can copySH your SSSslot (S2) in the S3 slot choose a more orangey color and turn on Front. Most people recognize the Backscattering aspect of SSS but the Front Scaterring is more important. If there is no Backlight,Rim Light/Kicker etc there is no backscattering at all! By turning off the other slots you can check the SSS alone or any other material slot. <!--[attach=211024]SSSShader_06.jpg[/attach]--> adding a fouth slot with the FresnelOverlay material with the default settings and choosing a a white or slightly saturated color you can add a peach fuzz effect in your SSS material! The Materials/Shader Mixer/ PreviewOpacity slider changes how the material look in the realtime preview, arrange as you like for previewing purposes.

That’s all for now

<span class="grey"> </span> </span>

Awesome stuff man! Thanks for sharing all the great breakdowns as well.

My choice is still Mental ray >_< Its just un beatable when it comes to rendering characters …sigh.

awesome, Yiannis!

thank you =D

thanks for sharing such in depth comp breakdowns and workflow explanations :sunglasses: :+1:

TyShelton - Glad you find it useful!
AjdinBarucija - it’s unfair comparison and irrelevant…anyway, I started rendering in Zbrush from this Beta version and I think that you can do amazing stuff, with some limitations of course. I d’say the biggest disadvantage is the camera. My major renderer is Mental Ray, but if it’s for a character and not a big scene I would consider Zbrush also!

invertedNormal - thanks! Etcher - glad you like that Geert! I 'm thinking of continue this thread, beside Beta. This is my latest render all Z4! I wanted to push Z4 BPR renderer and see if I can make a simple scene, something that may look like a frame from a movie He is a psychotherapist...obviously <!--[attach=212901]charRenderMSCC_02.jpg[/attach]-->

Wow, this render is amazing!!! Z4 has come a long way.

you definitely accomplish what you set your mind to, Yiannis!

Cool man thanks for the material walk through, makes a ton more sense now:+1:

Yiannis, you are truely the master of BRP :smiley:
Insane render, looks really fantastic.

This looks like a frame from a movie I would love to see :slight_smile: Amazing work :+1:

fantastic render Yiannis!

Outstanding Render

This would look amazing printed as a diorama.

I love the character design and the render is gorgeous. I know you are going for sparse, but it would be awesome to see maybe 1 more thing in the scene… a painting on the wall maybe?

Great sculpt.

incredible, really nice render man, can you provide us render layers brakedown as you done before? please