ZBrushCentral

Z Brush 4r7 tips ,,(Zmodeler)(nan mesh)(array mesh)(zremesher2.0)

To each their own, Hit Dirt.
No need to start a discussion here as we both know it will lead to nothing.

@Spyndel: thanks. Yes, that poly selection using Alt is extremely handy.
Selecting edges can be done by clicking, yet the Bridge technique you show to cut a poly can help a lot also. It is a mental game to visualize how to keep tris and quads.
Exciting.

I can’t see where I started a discussion. I expressed my opinion, which I think is objective, and some expectations.

@HitDirt

All of those programs you mentioned have been polishing and layering functionality over a dedicated polygonal toolset for over a decade. They didn’t come out of the gate with the toolset and features they have now. And I’m not aware of any of them being able to cope with 80 million polygons per subtool on even modest hardware. It’s a matter of program focus.

It’s the wrong way to look at it in any event. It’s not a case of “Zmod’s first generation only has 75 functions, instead of the 100 I wish it had”. It’s a case of “These 75 functions which Zbrush just added interact with ZB’s existing features in some really great ways.” How many times have you wished you could just click on polygons to assign polygrouping , rather than play “hide the polygon rodeo” ? Now you can. How many times have you wished you could use transpose on specific tiny elements with a click, rather than going through some convoluted masking procedure? How many times have you wanted to be able to add a crease to some geometry without gymnastic hiding/unhiding procedures? That’s all possible now as a side effect of ZModeler.

ZModeler was never going to replace a mature polygonal modeling toolset for work that absolutely requires it. But it does multiply Zbrush’s creation potential many times over, and cuts down on a huge amount of casual back and forth–for me anyway.

Besides, efficiency is just what you’re used to. No one who’s only been using the toolset for a day or so is going to be an expert with it, or have an expert opinion on it. I agree that the space bar interface is too congested to be as fast as it could be. It really needs an entirely separate dedicated interface with hotkey functionality. Again, though–first generation. I find that mapping the ZMod menu to my forward pen button helps a lot, because then it functions like a radial menu with minimal gesture/hand travel.

Once you get used to it, well
the grass is always greener. Like lots of things in Zbrush, it’s just a different philosophy. Some things are faster than traditional workflows, others are slower. When I’m using ZMod, sometimes I’m like , “God, why can’t I do X ?” Then, when I go to a program that can actually do X, I’m like “God, why can’t I Qmesh—why do I have to create and get rid of these polygon chunks in such slow and unintuitive ways?”

No program does everything perfectly. If it did, we’d all be using it.

more tips please and someone know to fix the B-Z-M secuence shorcuts?
thanks

@Spyndel
And again, no need to make a defensive stance, I’m not attacking anyone. Or Zb.
And I can’t recall when I said something about other new features - the ability to align transpose is useful. But it’s not a part of zmodeler functionality, it’s a part of transpose functionality. About interaction with other ZB’s features - that’s exactly what I meant when I said that it’s good to have this tool at hand.
Please don’t go this “over a decade” road - it doesn’t really matter how long this stuff was developed since it’s done, which makes it possible to use the commonly known results of these decade-long developments as a base to creating new tools, and it seems strange to me when developers ignoring this. I’m talking about very basic stuff here - custom hotkeys, zmodeler menu customization, poly-by-poly modelling. All of this can be coded within Zbrush.
I realize that ZB have different logic comparing to other software and that’s why I’m not ranting about, for example, lack of “cut” tool, or ability to apply action to multiple vertices at once (which is obstruction in a lot of ways actually). But hotkeys?..

“ZModeler was never going to replace a mature polygonal modeling toolset for work that absolutely requires it. But it does multiply Zbrush’s creation potential many times over, and cuts down on a huge amount of casual back and forth
 Again, though–first generation.” - isn’t this what I said? So we do agree, you know. Except of “multiplying” and “huge”, maybe. Zmodeler definitely adds to Zbrush’ potential, my only concern is that it just could add a lot more if the basics were covered.
Sorry for my english, btw.

HitDirt, Spyndel ,

calm down this is a amazing thread and I love what you guys are bringing to it
Both you guys are right in your own opinions. Spyndel is a zbrush junkie, so I can see why he jumps to defense about zbrush

I think zmodeler brush is amazing, but needs a lot of work, but this is pixologic first stab at it
Both of you guys have valid points

Big thanks for opening this thread!

BIG THANKS FOR THE TIPS!
1.-The B-Z-M secuence por ZModeler dont work, how i can fix this Ă­tem?
2.-I will love if the Gem Team fix the N-Gon issue adding a Clean_N-Gon bottom(one click)
3.-In this step that im plaiyng with the ZModeler i put in the imageplane the ZModeler popup to make exercise more easy,for me:

you are welcome, Spyndel has putin a lot of work in here, I wish you could post videos in here

Well as long as you think your opinion is objective, it must be so. :wink:

I’m not really sure why some people think the ability to express an opinion makes you immune from criticism and commentary on that opinion, especially in a thread where it wasn’t solicited. This is a thread for posting tips and tutorials on new features. It doesn’t really seem like you have much to contribute here.

So in your “objective” opinion, just because something exists already means it’s a zero effort/time/design proposition to replicate among disparate frameworks. Interesting. So even though the pyramids were built with years of labor intensive addition, every shopping mall built since then should be a pyramid since they’ve already been built. By your logic each of the tools you mention should be able to sculpt effortlessly with many, many millions of polygons even on modest hardware. Why can’t they? It’s already been done after all

There was a time Zbrush couldn’t break double digit polygons. There was a time it couldnt polypaint, or dynamesh, or retopo, or unwrap uvs. And there was a time when it couldn’t model with individual mesh components. It’s a process, and you only see how far you’ve come, by looking at where you’ve been.

Look, I don’t want to argue with you, especially as it’s not on topic in this thread. I can only encourage you to go see some of the amazing things the Zbrush beta testers have already done with the new program. It’s in some people’s nature to be negative and myopic. It’s in other people’s nature to learn, adapt, and look for ways to be exceptional. I don’t really care which you decide to be, but this thread is about learning.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m putting together a doghouse tutorial.

please stop this thread is being hi jacked

Hy Spindel many thanks for your contribution! hope you ca share more tips as soon as you can, these one help me a lot!:+1:
keep on the good thread!

@Spyndel
>Well as long as you think your opinion is objective, it must be so.
It comes with argumentation.

>This is a thread for posting tips and tutorials on new features. It doesn’t really seem like you have much to contribute here.
I actually got here because I wanted to find out if there’s a way to customize my hotkeys for zmodeler stuff.

>
makes you immune from criticism and commentary on that opinion
Didn’t thought so, didn’t said so. Your criticism and commentary are welcome. All I’ve said is that it wasn’t my intention to start a discussion. And I wasn’t the one who actually started it. It started from your reaction.

>So in your “objective” opinion
//and so on
You’re blowing this out of proportion and putting out of context. In Zbrush there’s already possible to assign custom hotkeys to most of the functions and customize menus, but somehow not for zmodeler. Same goes for working with surfaces without thickness and operating on individual polygons, edges or vertices, which is a base for poly-by-poly modelling.

I’m not negative about Zb - it’s my favorite software so far. But like you said, I’m not really sure why it makes Zb immune from criticism and commentary.

@Thebest12
Sorry for that. Again, wasn’t my intention. Don’t worry, I’m done.

HitDirt is wrong, Spyndel is correct. Let’s move on.:stuck_out_tongue:

I would of course too love to learn more and hope that even more people are sharing their approaches with Zmodeler. :smiley:

Meanwhile, there’s actually is a way to inset group of polygons, kudos goes to LeoAMD
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?191398-ZBrush-4R7-Released!&p=1124821&viewfull=1#post1124821
Still mourning for everything else that was listed above though, would spare tons of time.

It’s actually a very good idea. It’s simple to grasp for beginning users, shows off a number of features and some of the ways that using QMesh gives you more options than traditional box modeling, and throws one wrinkle into the mix–the classic doghouse design mixes in a curve with hard angles, something that can be tricky to pull off at times with polygon subdivision modeling.

Please bear in mind this isn’t the only way, or the best way to model this. It’s simply the first way that came to mind that conveys all the aspects I wanted. Namely:

-One piece, for economy’s sake
-Is hollow on the inside like a proper doghouse
-Gets that curve on the doorway.

There are tons of other ways to do it, and probably many better, but try not to give me too much, “Why didn’t you just
?” :wink:

I toggle symmetry on and off, but mainly rely on Mirror and Weld. If it looks like I’m only working on one side of the model at times, that’s why.

1. Basic cube start. I shape it with Poly > QMesh> Single Poly and holding down shift to move the polygon without adding geo, like we covered in the previous tutorial. Give it a quick Mirror and Weld for a centerline. You see I used the Edge > QMesh mode, which behaves a bit differently than the Polygon version of QMesh. Edge > Insert > Edge Loop does what I need it to here to define the doorway. I could have used an Inset operation, but I like to avoid diagonals when I can. It does raise a point I wanted to make though

Tip: Some of the ZMod tools will behave different depending on the tile of the surface towards the screen, which component you choose to base it off of (two adjacent parallel edges might give different results), and which direction you move the cursor in. MOST of the time it’s fairly intuitive, but you might scratch your head sometimes, and need to take a different approach.

1. Pull out another section at the bottom (1), and then clean up my polygrouping a bit (2) with Polygon > Polygroup and various targets like Polyloop, and Polygroup border ( I normally don’t switch targets so often for simple objects–I rely a lot on custom selection–but I’m trying to show examples of the sort of things they do). Remember, when using the Polygroup action to assign polygroups, tap shift AFTER putting the cursor down, and it will sample the existing polygroup ID color, which can then be assigned to other polygons with a touch. Tap ALT after putting the cursor down, and it assigns a new polygroup.

Then I tap on the forward plane of the object in Move (W) mode, which auto-draws a perpendicular Transpose action line (3). By Ctrl-Shift dragging on the middle inner circle, I duplicate the object along the forward axis (4). Since the outer ring of polys in the duplicate share the same number of verts and are perfectly aligned, I can just Qmesh that island (4) into the original seamlessly, and QMesh will snap it together (5), leaving it hollow inside.

1. I polygroup the roof together with Polygon> Polgroup > Flat Island, and Qmesh it out a bit (1). Now, when I go to Qmesh out the overhang, it shows why there are different ways to extrude. Because of QMesh’s “sticky” nature and the slight angle there, it decides it wants to be part of the side (2). So instead I use Polygon > Extrude which is just a basic extrude without the fancy Qmesh features (3). There is also good old transpose extrusion which you’re still going to want to use at times, because it gives the finest control. Anyway, I extrude out the roof overhang, front, back and side.

Simplify my polygrouping again, and QMesh inward on the door polygons to knock those out. (4-5). Now you can see my nice hollow doghouse interior.

1. At this point I make use of another great feature in R7, Dynamic Subdivision (D for on, Shift-D for off). It’s a non-destructive way to preview what your model will look like under comparable levels of subdivision. This is great for previewing edge creasing and sharpness, as well and noticing any errors where your geometry is unwelded or problematic, because trouble spots will show up as holes or distortions. You can use ZMod to assign creasing on edges, but since this model is going to be 99% hard angles, I just go ahead and "Crease All "(Tool> Geometry > Creasing). In this instance, it’s easier to uncrease what I dont want to be a hard angle–namely the top of the doorway.

So I hide the back of the model to make the archway more accesible (2), and I use Edge > Crease > Single Edge while holding down ALT to uncrease 3 edges at the top of the door(3), while leaving the borders creased. This now results in a curve at the top of the door when previewed in Dynamic SubD.(4)

Unfortunately, I don’t really like the shape of that curve, and don’t think I can adjust it with only a single “control point”. So I add in another loop (Edge > Insert > Single) on either side (5).

1. As far as I’m concerned, ZMod is worth it for the “Transpose” action alone. It lets you click on any element down to a single vertex, and gives you a nice perpendicular action line with everything but that element masked out, ready for perfect Transpose functions. It was always such a pain to get exactly what you wanted selected for transpose previously, often requiring you to juggle visibility and masking operations. So I could simply select Edge > Transpose > Edge and click on that edge to move it around with a transpose line if I wanted to.

However, in this case I just went with the old standby of masking that little pair of verts, and inverting the mask by Ctrl-clicking on the canvas. Sometimes it’s just easier, especially if you have a difficult to select cluster of verts, or you want to “select through” something to get at things behind as well.

The transpose line with the model snapped forward in the screen plane gave me the fine tuning control to get a curve someplace I was happier with, previewing with Dynamic SubD as I went. Normally I’d obsess over getting that transition as smooth as possible with bevels and edge sliding, but this is good enough for what we’re doing here. And there we go. Your basic doghouse.

Now, what you do from here depends on your goal. If you want an economic finished model, you’d clean up and simplify geometry you dont need–deleting loops, merging points. If you want to use it as a base for sculpting or painting, you’d do the opposite–add in more loops at regular intervals, so when it subdivides the polys aren’t too distorted. Or you could continue to model in finer detail.

Or, you could do do what I’m going to show you in my next tut:

BUILDING A BETTER DOGHOUSE WITH NANOMESH.

1 Like

Brilliant tutorial Spyndel thanks a lot! I would point out exactly what the most useful part of the tutorial is by saying: All of it! :lol:

Thanks Spyndel you are helping a lot with your tuts!

untitled.14.jpgfrm00137.jpgThis **** is hard

1 Like

Before I do the Nanomesh one, I thought I’d put up a quick thing about cutting holes in various situations.

Any square can become a circle in the subdivision process if smoothing is on and the perimeter, but NOT the corners, are reinforced with geometry or crease tags. An 8 point square with equally distributed points is usually ideal. Sometimes we want to cut holes in off center locations, or places where the geometry isn’t ideal.

1. Any point on a model can become a circle withe the Point> Split function, as long as the surrounding geometry is fairly square and uniform. If the location you want to place a circle at doesn’t have a point, you make your own. On this open poly face, I just inserted two intersecting loops, and split the point at the intersection. I QMesh an inward extrusion to make a recess. In all these examples I’m using dynamic subdivision to preview, and creasing the edges of the holes with the Edge> Crease action for crisp edges:

1. Here I’m just splitting points at the center of nice neat 8 point squares. Remember that many of the ZMod tools will remember their last action and repeat it if you simply click with the tool on an element, rather than dragging. In this way you can make a bunch of holes the same size.

1. Even a 4 point hole will become a circular hole as long as it is uniform. Sometimes you may find that you dont want to upset the surrounding topology, and just want to pop a small hole into the middle of a polygon somewhere. You could Inset the polygon with Polygon > Inset, but I like to use the Polygon > Insert Point action and then split it, because it lets me fine tune the position of the hole before I split it, if I want it to be just a hair to one direction or another.

1. But what about when the surrounding geometry isn’t uniform? Trying to pop a hole into stretched or deformed polygons will result in a deformed circle. There’s no magic button for this, but applications of the Polygon > Equalize function will make the selection more uniformly square, and point sliding (Point > Slide ) will let you tweak points into the correct shape. ( The seemingly simple ability to slide points along a surface edge is a wonderful addition to Zbrush, and you’ll get a lot of use out of it whether modeling, or adjusting the topology on an organic figure you just ZRemeshed. It’s much more respectful of form that the previous “slide” brush.)

1 Like

You can also easily connect / convert individual polys to a bigger poly result.
First you click to an one poly with a simple click, then to the other neighboring poly with a simple click:
Bridge Polys.jpg

1 Like