ZBrushCentral

Why is it taking ZBrush 3 minutes to save a 14 MB file?

Hi,

I’m working on a relatively small file (14 MB) in ZBrush. When trying to save the ZTL, ZBrush hangs for a good 3 minutes before it becomes responsive and the file is saved.

I have never experienced such long save times in the past.

I have tried working on the same mesh in ZBrush 2018, 2020 and 2021. The problem is present in all versions.

Working on the file has become extremely challenging since it hangs for 3 minutes every time it does an auto-save.

The file in question has about 25 subtools, each with 10-80K points. Exporting an FBX of all visible subtools only takes about 10 seconds for comparison.

I have tried clearing the VMem folder, ZBrush Temp, Quicksave, compacting memory, restarting ZBrush and restarting my machine. None of these seem to solve it.

I do have AVG antivirus and BitLocker encryption on my drive. Not sure if these would be the cause, but these are the only recent changes to my workstation I can think of since the slowdown.

My specs:
Intel(R) Core™ i9-9820X CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31 GHz
64.0 GB RAM
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 1TB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

Does each (or at least some) of the subtools have a very large undo history where everything is trying to be saved? Exporting it as an FBX would not export any undo history with it, so just the current state of the model, so maybe much less information to be saved and so quicker?

Hello @davidbk,

Please direct system specific technical issues to ZBrush Support. Technical Support for ZBrush is not provided over the community “Usage Questions” forums, and other users are not likely to be able to help you with your problem.

The first thing we’re going to look at though is the security situation on your machine. Small files taking an unexpectedly long time to save are a common sign of a security feature someplace scanning the process.

I’m going to close this thread now, just to eliminate any expectation that any further assistance will be coming in this thread, and to encourage you to go where you need to for assistance.

Thank you!