ZBrushCentral

Why does my subtool disappear?

I’m trying to figure out what happened to my subtool. I modeled a rabbit and I added an ear separately (appended) so I could have more control over it. When I clicked “Make 3D Poly” for the ear, my rabbit disappeared and was left with just the ear. No rabbit to be found in my subtool list (or anywhere else I looked). It’s very frustrating. I searched online and the gist of the responses were “…find the model that disappeared in the subtool list, then append the Poly 3D ear to it.” Problem is, I can’t find the model that disappeared . I must be missing something . Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi @Missy

When you “Append” to the Subtool list, you don’t have to click “Make PolyMesh3D”. It is automatically a polymesh when you append it. The only time you have to click Make PolyMesh3D is when you are starting with one of the primitives, like Cube, Sphere, Cylinder etc… When you clicked Make PolyMesh3D, your subtool did not disappear, it is still in the Tool palette. All you had to do is click on the Tool icon (see image) and the tool you thought disappeared would be in there. The mistake you made was clicking Make PolyMesh3D after you appended the ear. Hope this helps. Please not that I use the full version of ZBrush in case you are thinking why you don’t have all the buttons that I have in the image.

Also, see ZBrush Core tutorials.

2020-07-11 08_29_10-ZBrush

Thank you! I got my rabbit back! Thank you for putting me on the right track.