ZBrushCentral

What does the Optimize Points button do?

Hi - I’d like to gain some insight into: Geometry->Modify Topology-> Optimize Points

The online docs only seem to say this about it, and nothing else:

“The Optimize Points Order button will optimize the points order of the mesh.”

So, what is it doing exactly? When should I use it? What are the benefits?

When I tried it, it reported that, “Points ordered efficiency changed from 0 to 49%”

Please help me to understand.

Thanks!!!

Hello @Snugg,

Under most conditions you won’t need to use this option at all, but it can sometimes be useful for fixing issues with problematic geometry when moving back and forth between applications. Please be advised that this may break a mesh for any situation in ZBrush that calls for the geometry to be unchanged, for instance when importing a mesh to update UVs on a different version of the same mesh.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @Spyndel - I use ZB almost exclusively in conjunction with 3D scan data used in the physical world to 3D print or CNC machine. I don’t do UV mapping, throw stuff back & forth to Maya, animation, ZLink or any of that in my workflow. So I’m wondering if I need it at all.

I do use the excellent Live Boolean functionality and Polymesh primitives in my workflow.

I guess my question was geared more towards the actual mesh itself - if it is improved, will it make ZB run faster or maybe fix geometry that has lost its way…

Thanks