ZBrushCentral

Weld Points is flattening middle part of my Tri Parts curve brush

Hey, guys. I created a InsertMesh curve brush of a belt, but when I try drawing it over the model with the Weld Points option on, it welds (duh) the point in the middle part and the the mesh gets flattened (image down below).

I’ve tried searching over the web for similar issues but wasn’t able to find anything.

Does anybody know how to solve this?

Screen Shot 2022-10-18 at 09.26.56

Hello @GriloGabe ,

Is this a tri-parts brush? I see multiple polygroups. If so, please make sure you are following the instruction on this page. Notably:

• 3 distinct, different polygroups. The polygroup in the middle will be repeated.
  • Unify the mesh before creating the brush to ensure you are working at optimal dimensions.

I can’t tell you anything for certain without examining the brush geometry, but I might actually guess this is the result of the normals or points on the brush mesh being twisted around somehow. So the top points on the blue polygroup are actually trying to connect to the bottom points on the other group. This would have to do with how the brush geometry was created. I imagine there might be flipped geometry scenarios where this could occur.

You might try deleting the middle section of geometry from the source geometry, using “Make Polymesh 3D” to re-order the points, then re-bridging the two end caps. Make sure to work with Tool> Display properties> “Double” disabled so you can spot any inverted normals.

If you can’t sort out the problem, please contact ZBrush Support in order to provide the files for examination.

Thank you!

1 Like

Hey, Spyndel, how’s it going? Yeah, it’s a tri-part brush.

Thank you for your response, but I managed to spot the error. My middle section had no edgeloops, it was just a single face group, so I think ZBrush was welding its points to the other two polygroups, I don’t know if I was able to explain.

I added two edgeloops to the middle section to have some separation between the tips and tried again. Worked like a charm.

Thanks again for the response.

Best regards.